Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 03:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,314 times

Advertisements

Hi, I would like some advice on neighborhoods between plant city and Disney area. We are trying to move down to florida, my husbands company will probably have him working in Plant City. I want to work at Disney and my parents are moving to the villages. So we are looking for somewhere between all three points. I have two children, 7 and 11 so the schools and safety is a high priority. We would like to live in a community, any suggestions would be helpful!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 06:00 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,862,182 times
That's a lot of real estate. It would be like saying my husband will be working in Kennilworth, we want to live close to Sandy Hook, and my kid wants to go to Raritan CC?

You need to make some choices.

Auburn dale would probably be the best bet, it's a doable commute to Disney, but if you are on the north end of the property it will be a good hour from your house to your job, maybe longer. It probably has the best schools in Polk County. There is no reasonable place to be between all three points. Considering you would probably only visiting once a week it makes more sense to worry about work commutes.

Also what are you planning on doing at Disney? Unless you are willing to start as a quick food service cashier or similar it can be almost impossible to get in unless you are an I/T professional, lawyer, etc. So I wouldn't count the chickens before they are hatched as far as your potential commute.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:06 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,775,499 times
Lakeland Highlands
Auburndale
Valrico
Lithia

Old 05-02-2015, 06:07 PM

2,124 posts, read 4,487,238 times
Plant City, Disney, and the Villages are all pretty far away from each other.

If you want to be close to Disney with good schools, look at Windermere in Orange County. But it's going to be a long commute to Plant City.

In general, Polk County schools aren't particularly great, although some posters on here have recently recommended Lakeland to others, so I would check that area out. It's close to Plant City, but you'll be looking at quite a commute to Disney.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,314 times
Coming from NJ my husband is not opposed to a hour commute, that is just normal for us! I am a photographer and I've spoke to many Disney employees about how to get started, but my job is secondary, it's my husbands we are concerned with!

Old 05-02-2015, 07:46 PM

2,124 posts, read 4,487,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gennalynn4 View Post
Coming from NJ my husband is not opposed to a hour commute, that is just normal for us! I am a photographer and I've spoke to many Disney employees about how to get started, but my job is secondary, it's my husbands we are concerned with!
An hour of straight driving or traffic/public transit? For example, if you lived in Windermere and he commuted to Plant City, he's going to be driving over 100 miles a day round-trip.

You might look at Tampa if you can live without working at Disney. As Disney photographers only make about $10/hour, it might not be worth the commute.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:55 AM

26,906 posts, read 43,417,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gennalynn4 View Post
Hi, I would like some advice on neighborhoods between plant city and Disney area. We are trying to move down to florida, my husbands company will probably have him working in Plant City. I want to work at Disney and my parents are moving to the villages. So we are looking for somewhere between all three points. I have two children, 7 and 11 so the schools and safety is a high priority. We would like to live in a community, any suggestions would be helpful!!
If that's the case then I would recommend the FishHawk Ranch area (Lithia-Bloomingdale) in SE Hillsborough County. It has A-rated schools and is quite safe/family-friendly with a fairly easy 30-40 minute commute to Plant City and is an hour and a half to The Villages. You'll obviously be out of Disney territory but bear in mind Tampa has Busch Gardens which is somewhat similar and surely would have possible need for photographers, and is about 30-40 minutes if you can avoid traditional rush hour time.

FishHawk Ranch by Newland Communities | Tampa, Florida | New Homes for Sale

Old 05-04-2015, 06:26 AM

215 posts, read 277,900 times
Hello! We are moving down in June, from PA (right on the NJ border) and my mom also lives in The Villages! What is your budget? I had to look up Plant City on a map, but it looks like Tampa would be perfect- take 75 up to the Villages, close to Plant City. It just doesn't meet your Disney requirement.

Another idea is Celebration if you want to live closer to Disney. It wouldn't be as far as Windermere area for your husband's commute.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
An hour of straight driving or traffic/public transit? For example, if you lived in Windermere and he commuted to Plant City, he's going to be driving over 100 miles a day round-trip.

You might look at Tampa if you can live without working at Disney. As Disney photographers only make about $10/hour, it might not be worth the commute.
Other options would be working for Busch Gardens as a photographer. That would give many options with good schools and neighborhoods and a reasonable commute for both. From Wesley Chapel to the Villages is an easy hour drive up I75.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClC053103 View Post
Hello! We are moving down in June, from PA (right on the NJ border) and my mom also lives in The Villages! What is your budget? I had to look up Plant City on a map, but it looks like Tampa would be perfect- take 75 up to the Villages, close to Plant City. It just doesn't meet your Disney requirement.

Another idea is Celebration if you want to live closer to Disney. It wouldn't be as far as Windermere area for your husband's commute.
I'm guessing you are moving here but know nothing about the area. Please read about commuting on I4. It would be a hellish daily commute and utterly unadvisable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando