Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2017, 03:33 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,480,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Any update on the Maglev Train from MCO to International Drive? I remember back in 2015 they said it would be elevated to not disturb local traffic and be ready this year. I heard that some goverment agency said they don't want it to be elevated, but hven't heard anything since. Anyone know if this project is still happening?
Thats dead. The Maglev train is not happening, but there is still hope for the Brightline train. I think if Brightline was to go from MCO to Disney and also have a stop in Cocoa it would benefit Orlando. Right now it really only helps South Florida. Disney is basically a whole other city in the Orlando metro in my opinion. A direct connection from MCO to Disney would be good for the metro, but I know many here when disagree. I understand there is an anti theme park sentiment around these parts so I get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
You sound like Reagan in the 1980's regarding rail transit to hire 1500 personal chauffeurs with limos instead.

Roads, highways and Airports are also subsidized by Federal monies also yet you don't seem to have a Issue with that at all.

Orlando's LYNX bus system is pathetic but you want BRT ?
Really ?

Sunrail is currently ran by FDOT so the entire state is paying for it right now. It seem FDOT makes a lot of money from the tolls. Do you really think FDOT is losing money overall?

Old 03-01-2017, 03:59 PM

26,882 posts, read 43,382,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Sunrail is currently ran by FDOT so the entire state is paying for it right now. It seem FDOT makes a lot of money from the tolls. Do you really think FDOT is losing money overall?
FDOT isn't a commerce producer. It's the Florida Department of Transportation which receives federal and state funding. It has been building and maintaining toll roads to compensate in perpetual shortfalls of funding for maintenance and construction in a state where resident pay no state income tax, and a relatively low sales tax. As the saying goes money doesn't grow on trees and am fascinated by the expectation of new infrastructure being built minus resident involvement.

Florida leads nation in toll roads - Orlando Sentinel

Old 03-02-2017, 07:10 AM

3,937 posts, read 5,040,432 times
Quote:
Thats dead. The Maglev train is not happening, but there is still hope for the Brightline train. I think if Brightline was to go from MCO to Disney and also have a stop in Cocoa it would benefit Orlando. Right now it really only helps South Florida. Disney is basically a whole other city in the Orlando metro in my opinion. A direct connection from MCO to Disney would be good for the metro, but I know many here when disagree. I understand there is an anti theme park sentiment around these parts so I get it.
It isn't necessarily an anti-theme park sentiment, it's just that taxpayers have no desire to shelter the cost of a public transit system that doesn't benefit them.

If someone from Miami takes the train to MCO then to Disney World. That's millions/billions of dollars in infrastructure that we are paying for, and by doing so we lose valuable rental car taxes gained by those flying in and then getting a car at MCO.

The Bee-Line (528) does not see heavy traffic, thus tourism traffic isn't and hurting residents.

Essentially such a train takes public dollars and benefits a single private company.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:25 AM

26,882 posts, read 43,382,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
It isn't necessarily an anti-theme park sentiment, it's just that taxpayers have no desire to shelter the cost of a public transit system that doesn't benefit them.

If someone from Miami takes the train to MCO then to Disney World. That's millions/billions of dollars in infrastructure that we are paying for, and by doing so we lose valuable rental car taxes gained by those flying in and then getting a car at MCO.

The Bee-Line (528) does not see heavy traffic, thus tourism traffic isn't and hurting residents.

Essentially such a train takes public dollars and benefits a single private company.
From what I understand Mears Transportation quashed the plans via lobbying the powers that be. It would have seriously damaged their operations and bottom line.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:29 AM

24,328 posts, read 26,735,248 times
Quote:
I agree, I think simply connecting it to the Convention Center on International Drive would be great and I think Port Canaveral would be a another good choice given the cruise ship terminal and their plans to expand it even more. I'd be fine with a stop in Disney or Universal as well, as long as they cover the cost for that portion, but I'm not sure they would do that because they make a **** load of money from parking fees, especially Disney.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:31 AM

24,328 posts, read 26,735,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post

From my understanding, most of the funding was from the private sector. This has more to do with corrupt politics, pay for play... I'm sure the taxi lobby was the reason why this project failed. America is better than countries like China, but we still have a pay for play structure when a big player feels threatened.

Old 03-02-2017, 04:40 PM

3,937 posts, read 5,040,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
From my understanding, most of the funding was from the private sector. This has more to do with corrupt politics, pay for play... I'm sure the taxi lobby was the reason why this project failed. America is better than countries like China, but we still have a pay for play structure when a big player feels threatened.
Mears bottom line matters because of their taxable revenue and specific taxi taxes which benefit the city more than the rail projects do. Still if the idea was supported enough, it would go through. The larger powers that be of DOT and State of Florida just aren't convinced in these pet projects.

Orlando is a poor candidate for rail service.
It's just incredibly difficult to retrofit a county as large and spread out as this one.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:46 AM

https://twitter.com/RideSunRail/stat...94440785469440

Old 03-03-2017, 10:44 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,297,287 times
In order for CFL to take the next big step local leaders need to seriously put in place a plan to connect MCO, the Tourist Corridor and Downtown. With the major port of entry in MCO, major attractions, convention space and housing in the Tourist Corridor and our premier venues (Amway, Citrus Bowl, DPAC and now Orlando City Soccer Stadium all downtown) there must a practical and useful form of transit that can bypass traffic and move masses of people between these 3 centers. I understand and accept that in the past we have had a tourist v local rivalries that encouraged hourding certain resources to certain areas but those days have to be put behind us now. We've shown that we can host large events (Pro-Bowl, NBA All Star weekend, College Tourneys, Political Conventions, Industry Conventions) but to host the largest events (Superbowl, College National Championships, DNC, RNC, Industry Global Conventions) we need to have a mass transit connector. Even with the current upgrades to I4, it just isn't that feasible to rent that many vehicles to that many visitors to add onto our residents and non-event visitors. Because of the layout geographically and roadways or area we must have mass transit connector. As the Pro Bowl recently proved the best events use up multiple facilities and spaces because of different needs. Championship sporting events now need more than just sports venues for the games, they need meeting/convention space for corporate events, league meetings, etc., sports facilities for the game itself and fan events like they hosted at Disney WWOS, and all the requisite hotel and dining facilities. It's reasonable to expect that to host an event like the Super Bowl and College Football National Championship we could conceivable use the Orange County Convention Center, Citrus Bowl, Amway Center, DPAC, Disney WWOS, I-Drive all at the same time. The same could be said for the DNC or RNC. I don't know if we need a brand new light rail planed from scratch or some improved, interconnected version of Sunrail but if we even want to dream about hosting the next level premier events it will be absolutely necessary to compete with other event cities NYC, CHI, PHI, ATL, PHO and so on. I hope our local leaders see this same way I do and get on it. Lets take that next step.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando