Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 10:50 PM

511 posts, read 854,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpop View Post
Because moving is very expensive and when you are operating at a deficit, because of the low wages vs cost of living, it is very hard to save the money required to move.
Well try moving half way around the world like I'm in the process of doing. It can be done if one really feels the need as we're doing it on one income ourselves, (one thing the move is going to change)take the bull by the horns instead of just complaining..

JFYI I think you'll find though that the grass is not greener on the other side as few places have greener grass then Florida does. You'll always find something not to your liking if you try hard enough, if not the weather then you'll make more money but nothing to spend it on, there's always something, you just have to compromise and find what is the least intolerable for you and put down roots.

Personally I think if you can't be happy in Florida then there isn't a whole lot of places you can be happy, it comes down to the individual in many cases not the place you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 11:40 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
I agree. We started research 2.5 years before our move. It was in 1985 so we didn't have the benefit of the information available today, but we did get by with a weekly delivery of the Orlando Sentinel, 3 or 4 days late, but the information was priceless. A copy of the "Apartment Guide" was of great help as well. So, we had a very good idea of what to expect upon our arrival there.

I never asked Florida to adapt to me, but I was glad to adapt to Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
What I highlighted in Orange is exactly what I think about. See to move to another place you are unfamiliar with makes no sense. Zero sense. So if people don't do research, of course expect some encounters with failed expectations. I mean what was so bad where you were trying to get away from, that is just as bad or worst here (As they make it out to be) ?!!!

I don't understand. How a person can put that much energy into not liking a place. See people settle. People never get the full value of what they deserve or want. IF you want something with more culture and art-snappy, then of course Florida may not be ideal as it is one of those places in this country building and creating history. I'm not a fan of an old-historic city witch rich culture etc etc etc. Me, it's more exciting to be apart of history and a developing culture and life style.

Being a "Floridian" is a title that once you have it, you understand it. Most people think being a Floridian is just you come to Florida and fit in. No you become a part of the lifestyle. You become apart of what we as a state and what we as a population are creating and living everyday. You become apart of that and play a role. It's not fitting in making the best of the situation (Settling) it's getting the full value of the care-free happy-go-lucky lifestyle many people live here. You don't have expectations, Fine create some new ones or find a way to meet the ones you do have whether it be moving or working harder and not expecting everything in the state of Florida to be handed to you.

People come here and expect an easy living lifestyle (Which is true to an extent) but with HARD WORK. You can work hard in Florida and live easy, but you cant leave easy and dont work hard.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:00 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,999,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgt View Post
If you really wanted to leave you could/would.
Yes, I read all the above posts but its all bull. I really disliked Chicago. At 45 yrs old I sold everything, including my house, quit my job and left....no BS, no excuses. That simple. Yeah, yeah,Your reasons for staying are bigger and more important than everyone elses......horse feathers. Yall just want to whine and yall will continue to whine no matter where you live cause thats what whiners do.
What was Y'all doin in Chicago ?

Old 05-09-2012, 03:17 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
I don't hate Florida, actually I really like living here. But I've got reasonable expectations and know that far too many people want to move here because they like to vacation here, and the two are very different animals.

Also far too many people want to move here to escape various problems, not having the common sense to realize those problems are coming along with them.

For those who have a job lined up or significant resources (and no, $5K is not 'significant"), c'mon down. But for the dreamers, they are better off staying put, because the majority of them end up as a statistic and hating Florida.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:19 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I agree. We started research 2.5 years before our move. It was in 1985 so we didn't have the benefit of the information available today, but we did get by with a weekly delivery of the Orlando Sentinel, 3 or 4 days late, but the information was priceless. A copy of the "Apartment Guide" was of great help as well. So, we had a very good idea of what to expect upon our arrival there.

I never asked Florida to adapt to me, but I was glad to adapt to Florida.
Well put. It took me from 1989 until 2004 to make the move, and even when I started seriously looking that took three years to find the right place to build.

I don't want Florida to adapt to me, although I wouldn't mind a Wegman's.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:26 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Well put. It took me from 1989 until 2004 to make the move, and even when I started seriously looking that took three years to find the right place to build.

I don't want Florida to adapt to me, although I wouldn't mind a Wegman's.
Or a Trader Joe's

Old 05-09-2012, 09:18 PM

41 posts, read 78,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
Utility companies have a computer database of registered households that connect/disconnect their services, you simply cannot move from one place to another without connecting/disconnecting utilities, thus why I say it is a better measure than air travel in calculating population loss.

I agree that you would have the same services, but there is a trickle effect, where I believe some of these services may be impacted when there is a decline in population. JMO
So if they have a statewide power outtage then no one lives in Florida?

Old 05-09-2012, 10:10 PM

570 posts, read 1,153,408 times
How can you hate FL? No state income tax, close proximity to beaches and theme parks. Great restaurants. Great nightlife. Great shopping. What more do you want?

Most of the people complaining on here are the ones with less work, more money mentality that wonder why they can't find jobs. Work for lower wage at start-up, then show your boss that you're more than that wage with hard work and loyalty and somehow, miraculously the boss might notice that and give you a raise/promotion.

Amazing how most people don't catch onto that simple concept.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:07 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0gat0rs View Post
How can you hate FL? No state income tax, close proximity to beaches and theme parks. Great restaurants. Great nightlife. Great shopping. What more do you want?

Most of the people complaining on here are the ones with less work, more money mentality that wonder why they can't find jobs. Work for lower wage at start-up, then show your boss that you're more than that wage with hard work and loyalty and somehow, miraculously the boss might notice that and give you a raise/promotion.

Amazing how most people don't catch onto that simple concept.
Also amazing is how many unemployed people who are not willing to WORK for $8-10/hr because they don't feel it would be worth it. I believe Florida's unemployment rate would drop even further if UI doesn't get extended by May 12th, and people have to take something until they could find replacement income for whatever job they lost before. These people gripe and moan about how they can't get hired for any decent jobs; well that's because the good jobs are going to those who have a job, any job. Now of course there are exceptions to everything I said, but I'm referring to a phenomenon we've all witnessed regardless of political affiliation.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:44 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Or a Trader Joe's
Trader Joe's opening here in Sarasota this summer! There will be more in Florida in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando