Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 06:38 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,672,038 times

Advertisements

If I was going to move to the NC area/anywhere else in the southeast, I would absolutely, positively move directly to the mountains. Main reason being that it's clear in those cities like Asheville that it's at least 7 degrees cooler (even without mountain air), during the day and maybe even moreso in the mornings/evenings. That'd be nice and worth moving for.

The cities I'd think about as Top 5 would be Asheville, Chattanooga, Knoxville, Morgantown and Charlottesville. There are others I'd consider, but the only one I'd consider immediately outside of the mountain area would be Atlanta, thanks to the wide array of things to do and higher education opportunities it would present to me. The ideal: working at Kennesaw State or Emory, and being a <10 minute drive to Kennesaw or Stone Mountain.

I'm not saying that Charlotte or Raleigh are bad cities, but I don't think they offer THAT to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 03:23 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
I have good friends that live in the Atl area, but they live in Alpharetta. They're actually visiting us right now. They like the beach and entertainment but in their words, its not someplace they'd want to live in. What surprises them is the ghetto mentality, the in-your-face-I'm from-NY types, and all the stucco mud huts with little retention ponds everywhere. I think FL attracts ppl that arent the greatest, I'll leave it at that, not that its that black and white, but I tend to agree with heir observations. And my friend is down here a lot for work and just sees a big difference in the way ppl act, talk to eachother, treat eachother, etc.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:50 PM

29 posts, read 27,721 times
StreetSmarts, where do you live in orlando? That's exactly what I am trying to avoid. Are there any neighborhoods/towns that aren't full of people like that? That have friendly, family-centered people with a nice community type feel? We are currently looking in the Winter Garden, Windermere, and Lake Nona areas.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:10 PM

Sure there are. there are some good pockets in the area for sure. its just a little more hit or miss than other places, in my opinion.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:15 PM

29 posts, read 27,721 times
Any tips on good pockets?? My husband and I are heading down this weekend to house hunt. I'm mostly interested in getting a better idea of what each area feels like, how friendly the people are, etc. over anything else.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:44 PM

i like areas like Lake Mary, Winter Springs and Oviedo.

i would advise though to rent for sure, before buying anything.

what's your budget?

Old 06-03-2015, 02:58 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boarderline77 View Post
Any tips on good pockets?? My husband and I are heading down this weekend to house hunt. I'm mostly interested in getting a better idea of what each area feels like, how friendly the people are, etc. over anything else.
My favorite areas are Winter Park and Dr Phillips. I lived in many cities across the United States plus overseas. I have traveled the world and I can tell you that Orlando is a nice city with nice people. Generally speaking, if you live in poverty, the people around you will suck no matter where you live. If you expect everyone to go out of their way to make you feel welcome, you're going to complain about the locals no matter where you live.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:58 AM

782 posts, read 1,368,622 times
There's a lot of family-centric life in Windermere and the Winter Garden part of Horizon West because that's what it is designed for. We've been here over a year now, and have found the people here to be exceptionally friendly and welcoming, with lots of activities for kids, families, and adults.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:12 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,672,038 times
Winter Garden has a very pleasant historic downtown with old houses, mom and pop restaurants, an artisan food and craft market , and a Main Street square with old houses running throughout.

Those other ones have the safety, good schools, bike routes that Winter Garden has, and are nice communities. The only problem with them (WS, LM, Oviedo etc.) is that because they were mostly developed in the last 10-30 years, and so they lack a true community gathering space/uniqueness or "Main Street" thing and are very heavily chain oriented. Other than that they are nice also.

Out of those three, I'd say Oviedo boasts an advantage because it has the most park access, is developing a new urbanist downtown, and has close access to UCF, and the sports, cultural and educational outreach it provides to the community (if they choose to seek it out).

Incidentally I had the opportunity to visit Windermere area the other day. It had more charm than I would've thought, with a decent number of hiking trails close by, lakes surrounding for potential water sports, and even a SMALL little downtown, with an ice cream shop a couple restaurants and some antique stores. The quirk in the actual downtown is that all the roads jutting off are dirt, it was fascinating to see how long the community has been around and how "faraway" it felt. I only saw a few restaurants over there but one of them was Yellow Dog Eats, which is to this point the only BBQ I've had in the area that surpasses 4Rivers. It's in another class.

However, Windermere may be very expensive/you may pay more for less over there, so be judicious in your search!

Old 06-03-2015, 07:20 AM

in many parts of Windermere (the new area that is exploding with growth) is actually cheaper (per sq foot) than Oviedo is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando