Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 11:14 AM

8 posts, read 8,036 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have a couple of questions about Orlando. I got a good offer to work with Disney at Celebration. We currently live in Miami, to be more specific in Coral Gables and I work in the same neighborhood. So, I walk to my office everyday except when it rains. Me 38 and she 32 yrs old, Married with no children. my wife works, but if I accept the offer she would quit on the condition that she'll get a job in Orlando (Good for me).

1-Where would you recommend to live if I want to keep the same quality of life regarding my commute? If I have to drive, I don't want to be more than 20 min in a car. Currently we live in a 3 bed-house, but we don't mind living in an apartment. At least 2 bedrooms since we like to have guests.

2-What would you consider is a reasonable budget to live in the areas that you guys recommend (house, entertainment, etc).

3-Job market for my wife? She is a sales-sales marketing professional with experience plus a strong academic background.

4-Considering Miami, We have the beach very close, also plenty of activities in the area that we like such as going to restaurants, bars, MTB biking, paddle boarding, concerts, Yoga, small breweries (this is new here). How is that in Orlando?

5-Multi Cultural diversity? Here in Miami we feel at home, but moving to Orlando I know is not that far, but from my experience during the interview process, it was different. My wife is Hispanic and I'm from Austria.

In general, I'm leaning more on moving to Orlando since it would be better for us financially speaking. But my wife is with the idea of staying in Miami even if we don't make what Disney is offering. Her family is here, our friends are here for now, the beach, the weather, cheap tickets to travel anywhere compared with other cities.
Hope someone is willing to share with us their thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 11:54 AM

22 posts, read 31,292 times
Look into Windermere, depending on budget.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:05 PM

Thanks Orlando!! We are considering no more than $3K

Old 05-26-2015, 12:16 PM

17,118 posts, read 15,334,522 times
1-Where would you recommend to live if I want to keep the same quality of life regarding my commute? If I have to drive, I don't want to be more than 20 min in a car. Currently we live in a 3 bed-house, but we don't mind living in an apartment. At least 2 bedrooms since we like to have guests.

To be close to Disney? Windermere/Dr.Philips would be your best bet, although SoDo (South Downtown) is also nice, but it might be a bit too chaotic to travel from there to Disney. Clermont is also a viable option, and is generally more affordable than the aforementioned cities.

2-What would you consider is a reasonable budget to live in the areas that you guys recommend (house, entertainment, etc).

Are you planning on having kids? For us, (young, married, 3 kids) a combined income under $100k would force us to live a rather unpleasant lifestyle. With no kids, however, I'd say young adults can get by with a combined ~$75k income if renting.

3-Job market for my wife? She is a sales-sales marketing professional with experience plus a strong academic background.

Job market is hit or miss, as it is pretty much anywhere in Florida. It is my understanding that the unemployment rate in Orlando is lower than in Miami. Median household incomes appear to be roughly the same. As for sales/Marketing, with tourism being a huge industry here, there is always a demand for it. I'm not sure about salaries, though.
Manufacturing companies are always looking to hire sales professionals as well.

4-Considering Miami, We have the beach very close, also plenty of activities in the area that we like such as going to restaurants, bars, MTB biking, paddle boarding, concerts, Yoga, small breweries (this is new here). How is that in Orlando?

You'd be surprised. Miami doesn't really have much that Orlando can't offer, aside from the beaches (which are only an hour away anyway...) Lots of aquatic activities all over with the many lakes scattered throughout as well as the springs, concert events are always happening, and small breweries are very popular here.

5-Multi Cultural diversity? Here in Miami we feel at home, but moving to Orlando I know is not that far, but from my experience during the interview process, it was different. My wife is Hispanic and I'm from Austria.

I'm of Guyanese descent, born and raised in Montreal. My wife is from St-Martin/Anguilla. We feel right at home and fit in with the rest.
Orlando has the highest population of Puerto Ricans in FL, and hispanics make up 25% of the population. You'll be just fine.

In general, I'm leaning more on moving to Orlando since it would be better for us financially speaking. But my wife is with the idea of staying in Miami even if we don't make what Disney is offering. Her family is here, our friends are here for now, the beach, the weather, cheap tickets to travel anywhere compared with other cities.
Hope someone is willing to share with us their thoughts.

And finally, as far as family is concerned, it's not like Miami is far from Orlando. Hop on the Turnpike, it can take you 3.5 hours.
The weather is a little bit cooler in the winter, but it likely won't bother your much.
Airfare tickets and destinations are similar in both cities.

Should you make the move, you'll be quick to see that Orlando and Miami appear to be different on the surface, but share quite a few similarities. You might even enjoy it more, as it isn't as chaotic and frantically-paced (yet) as Miami.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:20 PM

17,118 posts, read 15,334,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer1800 View Post
Thanks Orlando!! We are considering no more than $3K
$3K per month? You can definitely afford Windermere/Dr.Philips. You might even be able to find a place in Celebration, although the cookie-cutter dollhouse type of atmosphere in that area might turn you off...

Old 05-26-2015, 12:22 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer1800 View Post
In general, I'm leaning more on moving to Orlando since it would be better for us financially speaking. But my wife is with the idea of staying in Miami even if we don't make what Disney is offering. Her family is here, our friends are here for now, the beach, the weather, cheap tickets to travel anywhere compared with other cities. Hope someone is willing to share with us their thoughts.
This...Bear in mind that it's not always about the money. Family, friends and comfort level are priceless and why throw that away on an unknown if you're happy? Orlando and Coral Gables are quite different as well.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:28 PM

Arcenal thanks a lot for your insights!
Windermere will be a place I'll check for sure. I was told Celebration too since it would be walk-able to the office, but at the end I don't know if I want to be that close either. At this point I just want to make everything easier for my wife. Regarding having kids, I think we are going to give a couple more years to get there. At least that is what we say.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:39 PM

629 posts, read 1,720,470 times
I'd consider renting an apartment right there in Celebration. It's a walkable area and while it doesn't have as much as Coral Gables and some find it a little 'Stepford-ish' it's got a variety of activities and things to do. Plus by renting you don't lock yourself in if your wife finds she misses family too much. A happy wife makes a happy life after all.

Short of the beach, all of those activities can easily be found in the area. A wonderful brewery just opened in downtown Winter Garden about two months ago and I love going there.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:43 PM

Thanks Kyle, I understand that money is not all in life and that is part of the dilemma right now. The thing is that you don't get these kind of opportunities twice in a row. I understand the family issue, they are extremely supportive, specially with me that I don't have anyone from my family in this country.

I just want to check on this forum with other people's opinions. If we only take into consideration my in-law's opinions, I won't be moving to Orlando but to Kendall next to my in-laws.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:48 PM

Thanks FL2MT!! You got it right buddy "A happy wife makes a happy life after all" and that is what I'm trying to accomplish here too. What is the name of the brewery?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando