Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 09:19 PM

46 posts, read 54,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What is so different about soccer that their stadiums can be built cheaper than say football or hockey?

Is soccer even big in Florida? I wonder why cant other sports teams do the same. Is there going to be Miami team? I know David Beckham is behind that, but I have not heard much.
Soccer stadiums have not been including as many amenities as the NFL stadiums. The supporters section is going to be standing only, no seats at all. Stadiums can be built cheaper for football as well... UCF's 45,000 seat stadium was $65 million in today's dollars. Its all about the features they want in it. UCF was obviously a no frills stadium, so for that number of seats, its about as low as you can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 02:56 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,481,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Moose View Post
Soccer stadiums have not been including as many amenities as the NFL stadiums. The supporters section is going to be standing only, no seats at all. Stadiums can be built cheaper for football as well... UCF's 45,000 seat stadium was $65 million in today's dollars. Its all about the features they want in it. UCF was obviously a no frills stadium, so for that number of seats, its about as low as you can get.
and the soccer team wont be needing anything near 45000 seats im guessing.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:55 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,297,287 times
Soccer stadiums are much smaller than NFL stadiums and dont require as many luxuries. Although the Citrus Bowl is much nicer now it is still not NFL caliber. And anytime your building an outdoor venue it will be significantly cheaper than building an indoor arena or dome.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:10 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,481,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Soccer stadiums are much smaller than NFL stadiums and dont require as many luxuries. Although the Citrus Bowl is much nicer now it is still not NFL caliber. And anytime your building an outdoor venue it will be significantly cheaper than building an indoor arena or dome.
So basically its EASY. Where is this new stadium going again?? I want to see the area on google maps.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:52 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,033,551 times
This is the location...google maps and site plan. As stated in the article, the capacity will be between 25,000-28,000.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/70...59ddc7b1ed9a8b

Old 06-08-2015, 10:00 AM

Soccer stadium location moves, to break ground this fall - Bungalower

Old 06-08-2015, 10:35 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,848,208 times
Quote:
Based on the rudimentary math, if they can average 25k (current average attendance is about 30k) in attendance at an average price of $35/ticket and 17 home games you'd be pulling about $14,875,000.00 in ticket revenue alone. That does not include concessions, merchandise, sponsorship and advertising. The advantage of MLS soccer specific stadiums are that they can be built for significantly less than most other major sports venues. For example the Amway cost nearly half a billion. A very nice soccer stadium can be built for under $200M, probably under $150M so financially it makes alot of sense for the Lions. Also, don't be surprised if you see some sort of joint effort by the Magic and the Lions to develop the planned sports entertainment complex between the Amway and OCSC stadium now that both will have a significant interest in the area.
Not sure how that will happen as the stadium max capacity will be 28K.

That said, I am very happy that taxpayers will not be footing the bill for a private enterprise.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:50 AM

If they're averaging 30k in attendance now I'm sure the average attendance will fall off slightly once the novelty wear off. I think a 25k average attendance in a 28k stadium is reasonable. As much as I support the OCSC I don't expect them to be selling out every game at max capacity. If they did so I would be extremely impressed but they have already exceeded most expectations this year so who know.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:38 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,848,208 times
Quote:
If they're averaging 30k in attendance now I'm sure the average attendance will fall off slightly once the novelty wear off. I think a 25k average attendance in a 28k stadium is reasonable. As much as I support the OCSC I don't expect them to be selling out every game at max capacity. If they did so I would be extremely impressed but they have already exceeded most expectations this year so who know.
I'm thinking that attendance will level in the 20K average, possibly not even quite that high if they don't end up as a highly ranked team. I know a lot of people who were on the Magic bandwagon and then the Predators bandwagon and now the Lions bandwagon but after a year or two their interest in each has waned.

If FIFA pulls the games from Russia and ends up bringing them to the US with Orlando being a host city, things could be very different--although I can't imagine they would use City Stadium over the Citrus Bowl for that purpose.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:47 PM

Yeah, my estimate would be 20k-25k, I may be a little optimistic with my projection as I have gotten caught up myself in the hoopla also. However I agree with you 100% even 20k will be a stretch if they don't start gelling. They have a very talented team but wow are they painful to watch sometimes. Just like the Magic, at the end of the day it's all about a wining product.

I would be surprised if FIFA pulled the Russia bid but I could see it happening for the Quatar bid. The US and Europe are about the only locals that could host a World Cup on short notice, no need for major building projects. I would love to see the Citrus Bowl host another World Cup game. I did get to go as a teen to the last World Cup held here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando