Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 05:12 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,349,115 times

Advertisements

Kind of a 180, but it's a decision I came to within the past couple weeks. A shame too, since I've poured so much research into Orlando and taken all these day trips. I have also come to really like Orlando as a city, and if it weren't for a few things, I'd still be moving there. Basically, it boils down to this...

- Constant heat/humidity. Since I've gotten back to Florida in January, I have greatly adjusted to this. I've been going outside and doing things no matter what the temperature is, but at some times it's unbearable. So I'd like a change from that.

- It's a little too close to home for me. I'm a Florida native, and I've really begun to like Florida in the past 5 months after being away for a few years. And permanently staying in FL is something that constantly began to worry me. I'm just not the type of person who can stay in their home state forever.

So I'm sticking to my same plan, just moving to North Carolina instead. Which is interesting since it seems my last thread was turned into a NC vs. FL debate, although not on my behalf. I've weighed the pros and cons, and I think as a city Orlando definitely offers more. But I've weighed the trade-offs, and I get - 1) better weather plus some snow, 2) able to work with the same company plus enjoy better pay and faster promotions, and 3) able to enjoy living somewhere different. Because although I think Orlando is way better and different from Tampa, the living experience in Florida is still the same. In NC, you're also never too far from the mountains or the beach.

Another thing, I was trying to hold off on a car purchase until next year. Orlando would have made that possible. So I'll have to buy a car now, but that's OK.

I imagine I'll still be in Orlando one more time this summer. I had a really great day the last time I was there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 05:30 PM

782 posts, read 1,362,455 times
I think that if you've never lived somewhere else, then you absolutely should try a handful of places before you settle down somewhere. Certainly come on back over here and give updates!! Oh, and good luck!

Old 06-09-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EditorJul View Post
I think that if you've never lived somewhere else, then you absolutely should try a handful of places before you settle down somewhere. Certainly come on back over here and give updates!! Oh, and good luck!
I have actually lived elsewhere. The past few years I was living in California and Australia. But I just didn't think I could handle moving back to the state I grew up in. Some people can, some people can't. Picking a place right now to settle down somewhere was my ultimate goal, though. Thanks!

Old 06-09-2015, 05:33 PM

156 posts, read 219,177 times
Where about in NC again. I moved from Charlotte to orlando

Old 06-09-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridamove View Post
Where about in NC again. I moved from Charlotte to orlando
Raleigh. I actually think Charlotte might be a better fit for me, as I love bigger cities and urban centers. There are a few things I like about Raleigh though, and I can always transfer to Charlotte down the line.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:52 PM

156 posts, read 219,177 times
Charlotte cheaper to live compared to Raleigh. Both good. I don't live in Raleigh but have friends. You won't be disappointed with the mtns and natural waterfalls. Epicenter in uptown awesome night club with bowling alley in one. Good luck. You will enjoy Raleigh. Many meetup.com groups I find better than in Orlando.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:54 PM

2,124 posts, read 4,486,739 times
Best of luck! Sounds like you're making the right choice. I share the same need to not be in my home state forever, as much as I love Orlando. California will probably be my next home.

And you can always move to Orlando in the future

Old 06-09-2015, 06:58 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,598,387 times
Good choice!

To be fair.... it can get hot as hell in Raleigh and Charlotte. The upside is it doesn't last nearly as long and then you have the other three seasons. Good luck on your move.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:38 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,842,988 times
Good choice. I'd do the same if I was in your shoes. I'd go with Charlotte first, then Raleigh, and then Orlando.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Good choice!

To be fair.... it can get hot as hell in Raleigh and Charlotte. The upside is it doesn't last nearly as long and then you have the other three seasons. Good luck on your move.
Oh yeah, I'm aware of that. A hot summer is fine as long as it's not surrounded by hot weather the rest of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando