Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 11:08 AM

13 posts, read 16,390 times

Advertisements

Hello Forum!

I am looking in the near future to stay on one of central florida's small lakes. My question is are the lakes at all safe for swimming? I am finding a few places that are on the shores of these lakes, like Lake Istokpoga for example, and if we stay there my girls are bound to want to play in the water. Is this safe or should I pick a new vacation destination? Thank you for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 11:10 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,441,091 times
GATORS!

Old 07-04-2015, 11:15 AM

What about the state parks that offer fresh/cool springs?

Old 07-04-2015, 11:29 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,999,956 times
A lot of people go in those springs, but that doesn't mean there are no gators around. I used to go to Wakulla Springs in North Florida, and there were lots of people swimming there. On the banks on the other side of the rope demarcating the swimming area, there were plenty of gators hanging out. How the gators knew not to cross the rope is beyond me.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:42 AM

549 posts, read 722,426 times
Although it's south of where you asked about, we occasionally stop in Arcadia for a picnic lunch on the Peace River. There's quite a few good swimming spots and I've never been bitten even though they often sunbathe on the other side of the river (about 100 ft away).

Here's a link to the number of attacks by an alligator and you'll see just how rare it is (14 in 2013). It's from the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation. MyFWC

Your chances of being attacked by an alligator are less than your chances of winning the lottery or getting killed by an asteroid. Here's some info on Wiki.

Here's another article from one of our local papers. It helps to put the notion in perspective. Fort Myers Newspress.

Be smart, be safe and you shouldn't have any issues. Here's another link to help you make an informed decision.

Sorry for the multiple links, but you should be informed and not just take people's comments or suggestions one way or the other.

Last edited by Who Dat; 07-04-2015 at 11:51 AM..

Old 07-04-2015, 11:55 AM

27,197 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatnissE View Post
Hello Forum!

I am looking in the near future to stay on one of central florida's small lakes. My question is are the lakes at all safe for swimming? I am finding a few places that are on the shores of these lakes, like Lake Istokpoga for example, and if we stay there my girls are bound to want to play in the water. Is this safe or should I pick a new vacation destination? Thank you for your input!
I would think twice about it. We have had an unusually warm Spring and freshwater lake bacteria counts are getting high.

Hidden dangers lurking in Central Florida waters | Health

Old 07-04-2015, 12:13 PM

Bummer; between the gators in the lakes & flesh eating bacteria in the lakes + ocean looks like we should stick to the pool :-(

Old 07-04-2015, 12:25 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,509,869 times
I don't think you'd have a problem in the springs, like Wekiva, Rock Springs or Blue Springs. Wekiva Island is a lot of fun too. The water is generally too cold/crowded for gators and too cold for bacteria.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:25 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
If you dont have open sores, scratches, wounds or an immune system problem the chances of being infected with this rare bacteria are very slim. Millions of people go into the water in FL and other southern states. Very few of them have a problem. Same with shark attacks. Dont wear shiny objects while swimming or have blood oozing wounds. Also dont wear brightly colored swim clothes.

A little common sense goes a long way.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:30 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,171,760 times
Any body of fresh water with a sand or dirt bottom has a hidden threat that is deadly. Lying on the bottom is an amoeba that rises when you scuff up the bottom while playing and swimming. It becomes more sctive when the temps outside reach 90. It gets in through mouth and nasal openings and attacks the brain. Almost everyone who has been effected by the amoeba has died. Granted, there have been less than 100 since the 80s,but you need to take care.. Since our friend's son,Tommy, died from it back inthe 80s,we stick to pools and salt water. If you do decide to raft,swim,water ski,etc.;it is wise to use nose plugs and not swallow the water. There is an old rule we use. If the temps hit 90 four days in a row, swim only in a pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando