Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 12:32 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

It's not just south Florida or Orlando. I saw an idiot drive around the downed arms at a RR crossing with the lights flashing on Wednesday up in Lake City. I've seen people do it in probably half the states in the US. Heck, a bus carrying passengers did it in PA a couple years back--killed a few of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 03:17 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times
Default More idiots....

And then you have this stupid guy or gal who thinks their truck is faster than a locamotive.

Truck crashes through SunRail crossing gate in Lake Mary | Local News - Home

The train had to slam on it emergency brakes, the rail gates had to be repaired (tax payer money)

One of these days....one of you people will think you are more superior than the trains and Sunrail will show you your place six feet deep. Keep it up Orlando.....keep it up.

Old 08-09-2015, 03:52 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
I am a huge supporter of red light video cameras, they are great for fixing budgets, while not punishing responsible drivers. When you have a video, there isn't much you can do to get away with the ticket. Install them at crossings with a $500-$1,000 fine and I'm sure anyone who gets a ticket will never do it again.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:12 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,397,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
And then you have this stupid guy or gal who thinks their truck is faster than a locamotive.

Truck crashes through SunRail crossing gate in Lake Mary | Local News - Home

The train had to slam on it emergency brakes, the rail gates had to be repaired (tax payer money)

One of these days....one of you people will think you are more superior than the trains and Sunrail will show you your place six feet deep. Keep it up Orlando.....keep it up.
Well, it's actually visitors from Atlanta who keep running into that train.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:56 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,419,564 times
Ha we have this with the TriRail and look how long it's been around. Cars, pedestrians...

Old 08-10-2015, 11:09 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I am a huge supporter of red light video cameras, they are great for fixing budgets, while not punishing responsible drivers. When you have a video, there isn't much you can do to get away with the ticket. Install them at crossings with a $500-$1,000 fine and I'm sure anyone who gets a ticket will never do it again.
Even the regular red light cameras work. I got a ticket once for trying to beat the yellow light, and failed. Since then, if there is any chance I might not cross before it turns red, I just stop.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
They had so many false positives that they are being taken out in Clermont. It was costing the City more to review the video for every single ticket--and 80% of them were found to be inaccurate--than they were collecting in revenue. My neighbor got one when they were clearly stopped because a car ran the yellow as it turned red and the neighbor got the green and turned--the neighbor got the ticket because the equipment caught their tag instead of the guy who flew through the intersection just ahead of them. It was dismissed, but probably cost the City $20 in human costs looking it all up and reviewing it, plus the time of the court.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
They had so many false positives that they are being taken out in Clermont. It was costing the City more to review the video for every single ticket--and 80% of them were found to be inaccurate--than they were collecting in revenue. My neighbor got one when they were clearly stopped because a car ran the yellow as it turned red and the neighbor got the green and turned--the neighbor got the ticket because the equipment caught their tag instead of the guy who flew through the intersection just ahead of them. It was dismissed, but probably cost the City $20 in human costs looking it all up and reviewing it, plus the time of the court.
They should look into another brand, one of the small cities near San Francisco installed them and 100% paid them off in within a year. However, at $500+ a ticket and with your ticket in the mail you also have a link to the video, it's not surprising it paid off so fast.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Even the regular red light cameras work. I got a ticket once for trying to beat the yellow light, and failed. Since then, if there is any chance I might not cross before it turns red, I just stop.
Same with me lol, I was in a string of cars during rush hour trying to make the left turn, the light turned yellow and I followed the car in front of me and I got a ticket in the mail with my photo and link to the video of me driving through the intersection.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
They should look into another brand, one of the small cities near San Francisco installed them and 100% paid them off in within a year. However, at $500+ a ticket and with your ticket in the mail you also have a link to the video, it's not surprising it paid off so fast.
I think they are over and done with the entire idea. It made no reduction in the number of crashes at the intersections with the cameras, which was what they were trying to do to begin with. So same number of crashes and a lot of PO'ed citizens in a small town--not a good combo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando