Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 06:32 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,195,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Leftee, most modern tires are less prone to blowouts, especially with tpms systems that notify of a small leak well before it has a chance to get to that stage
Agreed, but not everyone can afford the best tires or change them as often as they should. Tires were just one example; faulty brakes might even be a worse problem. Obviously, NYS thinks inspections are worthwhile as they've been around a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 07:21 AM

17,156 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Agreed, but not everyone can afford the best tires or change them as often as they should. Tires were just one example; faulty brakes might even be a worse problem. Obviously, NYS thinks inspections are worthwhile as they've been around a long time.
I would say worn out suspension and front end components are much more of a threat than bald tires. Most tire blowouts aren't from bald tires, like I said earlier, but from uneven wear, gashes, over-inflation, things of that nature.
Faulty shocks/springs will send the vehicle careening off the highway in no time the minute one hits a small bump or crack in the road. I highly doubt state-required inspections go over the entire suspension and steering components of a vehicle.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:32 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,946,756 times
This would be the future if "nanny state" supporters got their way... sometimes it already feels like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq-G4HATiC8

Old 08-20-2015, 03:41 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Lose

Win

Afaik, no inspection is only $30.
There is NO inspection fee in NJ. You drive up, they do the inspection, you pass or fail or get a 10 day sticker meaning you failed but not a critical safety issue and have 10 days to remedy and recheck.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Already live in a different state but thanks for the suggestion. You can have Orlando

Georgia does not do inspections either but does do emission checks. I'm not talking about a full engine inspection, but how long does it take to check tire tread and brake fluid level and function ? 10-15 minutes ?

Folks like you complain about $30 for a vehicle inspection, but spend $200 monthly on a cell plan. And a simple car inspection would make Florida a nanny state, huh ? Quite a leap young man ...
The inspection in NJ takes about 3 minutes start to finish.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
And what % of vehicles on the road meet the age exemption ?

vehicles or people?
I think once 75- no more DL
Why some arbitrary age? It would be better to require doctors to report patients who should not be driving due to failing vision or dementia related issues rather than putting some arbitrary age. I know 20 year olds who shouldn't be behind the wheel and a few 80 year olds who are sharp as tacks and in great health.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:10 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
Quote:
Guess that applies to just about anything in life ...
Hardly. I don't get screwed by the dmv beyond what I pay for a license or tag renewal. I don't need a home inspection before I pay my property taxes.

Leftee, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Fl isn't a big government nanny state with inane regulations and high taxes. That's just the way it is. There is a state in the union for everyone

Old 08-20-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
There is NO inspection fee in NJ. You drive up, they do the inspection, you pass or fail or get a 10 day sticker meaning you failed but not a critical safety issue and have 10 days to remedy and recheck.
As long as it is free, is not connected to a private/for profit mechanic and the wait times/appointment scheduling are reasonable, I would have less of a problem with it

Old 08-20-2015, 05:18 PM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Good Question: Why doesn't Florida require vehicle inspections - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida

Currently, twenty states require some sort of vehicle inspection.
As a side note, back in the 1990s, Florida required emissions testing in major metro areas like Miami, Tampa and Jacksonville.
Governor Jeb Bush did away with the program for two reasons: the $50 million cost and because Florida met federal standards for air quality.

so basically people did not want to pay for it from taxes - the fee never covers the costs

Old 08-20-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Governor Jeb Bush did away with the program for two reasons: the $50 million cost and because Florida met federal standards for air quality.

so basically people did not want to pay for it from taxes - the fee never covers the costs
Also the air quality as mentioned in your article. Fl is actually the near the top I believe, certainly better than states like cali, NYC and Texas

25 Regions With the Best Air Quality: Metros Where You Can Breathe Easy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando