Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 07:37 AM

16,826 posts, read 14,969,207 times

Advertisements

I highly doubt I'm alone in feeling like this:

I love to go to Pine Hills for a few reasons: The multiple ethnic groups from all over the world have created quite a shopping scene along Silver Star and Colonial Dr., heck, even Pine Hills Rd. I can shop for all kinds of specialty items, from Guyanese to Jamaican to Haitian to Asian to Mexican fair and more.
The residential neighborhoods along Powers Dr. and Hiawassee are cozy and quaint.
I just find it so sad that the area as a whole is so overrun with crime, drugs, etc., when it has the potential to be one of Orlando's better areas.
I know that this has much to do with zoning, and how the area is in "unincorporated Orange County," but it would be nice for this to change...
Just my two cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 10:36 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,286,689 times
I still go despite the reputation. There are really only a few areas I would not travel at night but in reality Pine Hills is so big there are good, bad and ok parts. The area I avoid is mostly Pine Hills and Silver Star but Colonial, although ugly is so busy I don't feel unsafe there. Clarcona Ocoee and north are pretty ok. Apopka-Vineland also seems ok.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:39 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,385,124 times
I rented my girlfriends storage unit in Pine Hills. Not because I wanted to be there but because it was the only thing I was able to afford. Noboby broke in the unit to steal, while her stuff was there.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:53 AM

16,826 posts, read 14,969,207 times
Oh trust me, I still go too. Like I said, there is plenty to like there. The violence just seems to spill all over the place, and it's a shame. If not for that, I wouldn't mind living in the area.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:14 PM

35,303 posts, read 20,671,984 times
I was on Silver Star first time this past weekend- saw some places i would have stopped but wasn't feeling great- but maybe can get some brown stew chicken or jerk- oh yea- I will be venturing- almost finished the house upgrading - some family said the Chinese food was grest at Kim Wu?

Old 08-26-2015, 04:21 PM

24,322 posts, read 26,692,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I highly doubt I'm alone in feeling like this:

I love to go to Pine Hills for a few reasons: The multiple ethnic groups from all over the world have created quite a shopping scene along Silver Star and Colonial Dr., heck, even Pine Hills Rd. I can shop for all kinds of specialty items, from Guyanese to Jamaican to Haitian to Asian to Mexican fair and more.
The residential neighborhoods along Powers Dr. and Hiawassee are cozy and quaint.
I just find it so sad that the area as a whole is so overrun with crime, drugs, etc., when it has the potential to be one of Orlando's better areas.
I know that this has much to do with zoning, and how the area is in "unincorporated Orange County," but it would be nice for this to change...
Just my two cents.
I agree, I used to go to that area quite often for the same reasons you listed. Unfortunately, I doubt the city will do anything to change it, it will just have to happen naturally I guess.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:44 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,555,998 times
How bad is Pine Hills? It's always on the TV news with shootings.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:51 AM

995 posts, read 1,683,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
It's not too bad if you don't mind a bullet wound.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:53 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,385,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Well, if its always on the news for bad things, that means it's not good.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:00 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,162,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Oh trust me, I still go too. Like I said, there is plenty to like there. The violence just seems to spill all over the place, and it's a shame. If not for that, I wouldn't mind living in the area.
Do you go after the sun goes down ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando