Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 10:28 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,396,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Most employers offer PTO and sick paid leave, which can be used here.
Most employers will also be shut down during major storms.
I've heard of people being forced to go to work, at stores, during a hurricane here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 11:06 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
I've heard of people being forced to go to work, at stores, during a hurricane here.
Lots of places require their employees to be at the workplace during a hurricane. Even Disney has employees designated as being part of the "ride-out crew," who are required to be at work during a storm.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:23 PM

14,927 posts, read 12,123,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgonzalez79 View Post
Sounds like fun Well a few days off work to get some housework done might come in handy, hopefully my car makes it through OK. Anyone living on the coast who's in real danger, I mean no disrespect.
i

Not unless they ignore evacuation mandates, and it's entirely possible that these won't be issued in a tropical storm. Or if they disregard instructions NOT to go swimming or surfing in high waves- this is due to rip currents.

No reason for the hype and panic, as a veteran of many tropical storms, and some hurricanes, I can tell you that it's a good idea to get anything that might become flying debris even in a 40 MPH wind ( and we get some of those in a good afternoon storm), packed down somewhere, and be prepared, maybe, to lose power for a few hours, maybe two days at the top. Most folks don't even put up their shutters for a tropical storm warning. Depending on the direction, and speed of the storm, how "wet" it is, how long it stays around before moving on, there can be localized flooding issues.

But it is NOT the end of the world, regardless of what the Weather Channel and the local media hypesters breathlessly and excitedly tell you.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Lots of places require their employees to be at the workplace during a hurricane. Even Disney has employees designated as being part of the "ride-out crew," who are required to be at work during a storm.
This ^^^.

Plus, many counties have ordinances against employers requiring nonessential employees to go to work under hazardous conditions ( such as hurricane winds), so in the event that this happens an employer can get into trouble for requiring employees to report to work in hurricane conditions.

These generally go into place, as well as the plans by county emergency managements, when hurricane warnings are issued by the National Hurricane Center. With tropical storm warnings, it's a matter of playing it all by ear.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Erika shifted again- I post this because a lot of the transplants don't get it- We natives have had them come and go- and have experience, but I did have the opportunity to work along side FEMA during Wilma - in SFL and I was like
people heed No warnings and those that do- others shun-- just because you have it all together does not mean everybody does. so shut your traps.
So people listen to the news and forecasters - Miami is already out of bread and soon out of batteries, people get in a frenzy so calmly get some supplies. Pick up crap in the yard that might fly with the wind and break your windows -gas up the car -get some cash... I bought some Sterno- a metal fondue pot and instant coffee lol-- We had two generators -which I sold coming north - so it will do for this one.

That's about it- the online Bullwinkles always cause others to stumble. People listen to the experts on the news.
That's so ridiculous, hurricane season comes every single year, and there is no reason not to make preparations early in the season when there are no lines, no waiting. Many of those supplies ( such as the batteries, gas in the cars, cash, canned food, will be used whether or not there is a storm so it's not a matter of wasting resources if there is no hurricane.

And IMO it's much more informative and you tend to avoid the breathless hype by listening to the local news stations instead of the Weather Channel, for progress and updates on a given tropical system.

Geez, with all this media hype about "Erika aiming right for Florida", and comments about how after 10 years, Florida will finally get "slammed" by a hurricane, I think all these weather "gurus" will be intensely disappointed if Florida doesn't get clobbered this year. By Erika or anything else coming down the pike.

Old 08-28-2015, 02:18 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgonzalez79 View Post
They just issued a State of Emergency. I'm still learning the ropes so is this a proactive, precautionary measure just to make folks aware of the hurricane or is this a "run home and batten down the hatches" situation?
They issue a state of emergency because it legally allows them to do two things.

1. Impose a curfew or close roads so people with no common sense will be forced to stay home.
2. Activate the Florida National Guard for anything from bringing in potable water to handing out MRE's, to arresting looters. Typically the Guard helps with engineering type issues as well as assisting the Red Cross with emergency supplies.

Calling a State of Emergency is status quo when there *might* be a need for them, Doing it now allows the Guard to begin to mobilize and get their ducks in a row, just in case. It means nothing more than that, and doesn't guarantee that there will be any need for the Guard or curfews.

Old 08-28-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerHarry View Post
Why wait?

Better get in that bathroom & lock the door, right now!

You can never be too safe!
I don't agree with you too often, but had to laugh at this one.

You forgot to warn him about needing the tin foil cap to ward off potential solar flares.

Old 08-28-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Well, most employers here aren't going to give you paid time off for this. Your probably going to have to go in to work.
Two different things. Obviously you don't have a job. If they impose a curfew, only people who are essential employees will be allowed on the roads. Malls, grocery stores, pretty much everything except OEM's, hospitals, prisons, EMS, and LEO will close. So there won't be any work to go into.

Old 08-28-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
At stores? Um no. They all close.

Old 08-28-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Only because they have guests who shelter in place and those people need to be fed. Anyone who is a theme park employee (with the exception of animal care at the Animal Kingdom and Epcot or security or a few in engineering) is told not to report to work, because the parks are closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando