Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2015, 06:15 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,392,057 times

Advertisements

I've never seen anything like this. Their on the floor,with laptops.

Mega-classes at UCF prompt students to scramble for seats - Orlando Sentinel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 07:58 AM

3,943 posts, read 5,055,668 times
In the finance classroom where McGoldrick sat by the garbage can, Monroe Brown waited for 10 minutes after class started and then figured he had enough. Unable to find a seat, he went upstairs to stream the lecture on his laptop.

"I've dealt with it now for years," said Brown, 21, a junior from Tampa.

He sounded matter-of-fact as he said students prefer smaller classes but understand the reality of UCF's size.

"If you have a problem with it, you should chose a different school," Brown said.

Or choose a better school.
More spotlight really needs to be shed on the low quality UCF provides for a glut of their students.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:17 AM

27,011 posts, read 43,601,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
More spotlight really needs to be shed on the low quality UCF provides for a glut of their students.
I agree though it seems most everyone is thrilled about how large the school has become. It's hardly anything to brag about given the issues involved with graduating on time or situations shown above, not to mention a local economy unable to accommodate any more than a small fraction of it's graduates in jobs that'll pay off student loan debt sometime within young adulthood.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:48 PM

782 posts, read 1,365,066 times
It's been "a while" since I was in my college years, but classes were like that at the three different colleges I attended (one community college, one private college, and one public collage, in the mid-Atlantic/Northeast). Case in point, my freshman chemistry class had around 250 students -- and that was at a private college.

Old 08-29-2015, 10:16 PM

24,353 posts, read 26,826,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
I've never seen anything like this. Their on the floor,with laptops.

Mega-classes at UCF prompt students to scramble for seats - Orlando Sentinel
And Bernie Sanders wants to make all public universities and colleges completely free, meanwhile they have been cutting classes because of budget cuts... I can only imagine what would happen if public universities and colleges became free lol.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:04 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,392,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
And Bernie Sanders wants to make all public universities and colleges completely free, meanwhile they have been cutting classes because of budget cuts... I can only imagine what would happen if public universities and colleges became free lol.
I would never vote for him. But my girlfriend wants him to win because he will redistribute the wealth to her.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:18 AM

4,091 posts, read 5,994,615 times
I don't see how this affects anybody who doesn't go to UCF...

Old 08-30-2015, 09:05 PM

5,006 posts, read 5,626,905 times
What the article doesn't mention is that there a web streaming format of the classes available for those that aren't able to make it to the direct sessions. If truth be told, THAT is more likely a way of the future for colleges, as it is generally more efficient, and allows students greater flexibility in terms of watching classes whenever they want, since it's not like they're going to get all that much extra out of the session anyways.

Don't get me wrong, people need relationships. But those relationships are available to students who seek them. However, many students don't even approach the professor during office hours, or attempt to visit UCF's Academic Services and Tutoring offices. And then they sit and complain about how the school isn't "accessible enough". Maybe this sounds coldhearted, but I have no sympathy. I've made it through 6 years at the school and will have a doctorate from there in about a year, and I never had any problems regardless of class size. People will complain about class size, but that's part of the reason tuition is so relatively affordable compared to many universities throughout the US. Also, everyone wants to talk about "free tuition" but not everyone wants to talk about the fact that will negatively influence the many individuals who choose not to attend college, or are not able to get in. There are no easy answers, but that certainly isn't one.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:35 AM

3,943 posts, read 5,055,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
What the article doesn't mention is that there a web streaming format of the classes available for those that aren't able to make it to the direct sessions. If truth be told, THAT is more likely a way of the future for colleges, as it is generally more efficient, and allows students greater flexibility in terms of watching classes whenever they want, since it's not like they're going to get all that much extra out of the session anyways.

Don't get me wrong, people need relationships. But those relationships are available to students who seek them. However, many students don't even approach the professor during office hours, or attempt to visit UCF's Academic Services and Tutoring offices. And then they sit and complain about how the school isn't "accessible enough". Maybe this sounds coldhearted, but I have no sympathy. I've made it through 6 years at the school and will have a doctorate from there in about a year, and I never had any problems regardless of class size. People will complain about class size, but that's part of the reason tuition is so relatively affordable compared to many universities throughout the US. Also, everyone wants to talk about "free tuition" but not everyone wants to talk about the fact that will negatively influence the many individuals who choose not to attend college, or are not able to get in. There are no easy answers, but that certainly isn't one.
The article did mention the web streaming, and that very well may be the future of some colleges.
Don't count on seeing the same thing from UC Berkeley or Dartmouth.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:40 AM

27,011 posts, read 43,601,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
I would never vote for him. But my girlfriend wants him to win because he will redistribute the wealth to her.
He makes too much sense....ehhhh??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: