Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 05:25 AM

27,203 posts, read 43,896,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Minimum-wage offensive could speed arrival of robot-powered restaurants - The Washington Post

Hard to pay people outside of what their labor is worth. $15/minimum wage would basically hurt the people who are trying to be helped
Seattle went to $11 an hour minimum at the beginning of the year for all restaurant jobs and has seen an increase overall of 1,800 new restaurant jobs added since the wage increase went into effect....

Latest Seattle Jobs Numbers Disprove Fox's Minimum Wage Misinformation | Blog | Media Matters for America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 07:05 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
No, I think two married people who make minimum wage with no better prospects should not have children that they can not afford.

But, I'm sure since you support Bernie, you feel people owe you a better life that you have not earned for yourself.

Minimum wage is a MINIMUM. If you are still earning minimum wage as an adult, you need to figure out where you made the poor decisions in your life, and how you are going to correct them. This may sound harsh, but it is true.
Libertarians all sound the same. I have heard these talking points so many times. Where do you get them from? Its like listening to robots.

Has it ever crossed your mind that not everyone is born equal? Has it crossed your mind that genes play a huge role and that nobody decide what genes they get?

Sometimes I wonder what drives working class libertarians to carry the water for the plutocracy. My impression is that many of them simply hate people. They are filled with anger. Like adolescents. Me, me, me, me. To hell with everyone else. Why? Where does the anger come from? It is a sad situation.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:10 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Those countries have radically different governments and tax systems than we do. Again, from what I've read, the people who are most affected by a minimum wage hike like that are the ones who are most marginalised...minorities, teens, etc. The robot thing is very real, why pay someone $15 to take your order when a touchscreen kiosk like they use at wawa is cheaper long term?

McDonald's hires 7,000 touch-screen cashiers - CNET

Btw, denmark is changing

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/20...al-safety-net/
It would have happened decades ago in Northern European countries with high minimum wages if this fear mongering was real. Nothing prevents companies in Northern Europe from using robots everywhere instead and laying off all the minimum wage earners there. But it aint happening.

I am sure eventually robots will take over, but that has more to do with technology and what customers are comfortable with than anything. Like in Japan, which has a low minimum wage but more self serving kiosks and robots.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:05 PM

27,203 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
It would have happened decades ago in Northern European countries with high minimum wages if this fear mongering was real. Nothing prevents companies in Northern Europe from using robots everywhere instead and laying off all the minimum wage earners there. But it aint happening.
Sadly it's been determined a great deal of Americans cannot think for themselves and have proven adept at responding to fear-mongering by counter-intuitively voting for a political party that has been working against there own best interests for the past couple of decades. The dumbing down of 'Murrica has worked wonders for the GOP and was a brilliant strategy I must say.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:38 PM

995 posts, read 1,695,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Sadly it's been determined a great deal of Americans cannot think for themselves and have proven adept at responding to fear-mongering by counter-intuitively voting for a political party that has been working against there own best interests for the past couple of decades. The dumbing down of 'Murrica has worked wonders for the GOP and was a brilliant strategy I must say.
Maybe some people's best interests differ from yours.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:08 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
Quote:
Liberals....the most tolerant and non judgemental people I've ever met.

NOT

Old 09-01-2015, 07:15 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
Quote:
Seattle went to $11 an hour minimum at the beginning of the year for all restaurant jobs and has seen an increase overall of 1,800 new restaurant jobs added since the wage increase went into effect....

Latest Seattle Jobs Numbers Disprove Fox's Minimum Wage Misinformation | Blog | Media Matters for America
$11 =/= $15. $11 may be a much more reasonable goal to achieve, even some in the gop would be closer to that
Some Republicans Back State Minimum-Wage Increases - WSJ

Old 09-02-2015, 03:03 AM

50 posts, read 42,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
I would not want to even try to live on 50K a year in Orlando
As a single person, living on 50k/year is doable! I own a house, have no debt, a dog, no car payments and I make 45k/year with occasional OT and bonuses. If two individuals making 45-50k each got together, it would be easy to raise a family if they had similar money habits. I have several months in savings and have good money management. If you don't have those skills, then living anywhere will be tough.

Old 09-02-2015, 03:27 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,748,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittersweetsecrets View Post
As a single person, living on 50k/year is doable! I own a house, have no debt, a dog, no car payments and I make 45k/year with occasional OT and bonuses. If two individuals making 45-50k each got together, it would be easy to raise a family if they had similar money habits. I have several months in savings and have good money management. If you don't have those skills, then living anywhere will be tough.
100% correct!

If you manage your money well, you will be fine as a single person on that income in Orlando. You won't even need roommates.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:48 AM

995 posts, read 1,695,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Libertarians all sound the same. I have heard these talking points so many times. Where do you get them from? Its like listening to robots.

Has it ever crossed your mind that not everyone is born equal? Has it crossed your mind that genes play a huge role and that nobody decide what genes they get?

Sometimes I wonder what drives working class libertarians to carry the water for the plutocracy. My impression is that many of them simply hate people. They are filled with anger. Like adolescents. Me, me, me, me. To hell with everyone else. Why? Where does the anger come from? It is a sad situation.
Actually, it has crossed my mind that everyone was born equal. However, if someone was born less intelligent or talented then someone else, I do not feel they deserve to earn the same amount of money.

I'm sorry you were born the way you were; deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando