Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 02:52 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
the vouchers are for those kids who went to a bad performing school- not based on the parents income..
It shouldn't matter. If it's a public school and one gets vouchers, they all should.

To be honest, most of the time when a school is failing it's because the parents are failing the children. Moving the kid to another school isn't going to fix the problem. It will just bring down the new school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 11:16 PM

50 posts, read 42,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It shouldn't matter. If it's a public school and one gets vouchers, they all should.

To be honest, most of the time when a school is failing it's because the parents are failing the children. Moving the kid to another school isn't going to fix the problem. It will just bring down the new school.
I agree. I wish I could give you more reputation points. Thankfully you understand it.

I remember when Evans High School students started being bused to WPHS. The parents of WP swore the Evans students would ruin their school system, they did no such thing. The children were high performers with GPAs more than 3.0 and were welcomed after a few rocky weeks of transition (longer days due to transport times, new classmates, new cultures, and kids can be mean let's be honest).

But the important part? The students were ambitious learners who sought the resources to achieve, they had supportive family systems who released learning and education didn't end with the final bell at school.

If neither the child nor the parent wish to participate, then absolutely they should be removed until something changes. I wish they were taking parents before a judge to answer for the lack of encouragement and support to ensure learning. If families would at least TRY to utilize resources instead of blaming teachers, attempt to accept some level of responsibility for the children they bring into this world....then we wouldn't be so far behind the rest of the world academically.

I wish the OP could send her children or grandchildren to China and see those teachers. It's like they're drill sergeants, but the kids are motivated and the parents push even harder for them to be successful. Ever wonder why China doesn't import from the USA?

Old 09-08-2015, 11:28 PM

And this ladies and gentlemen.....is what is wrong with America today!
Attached Thumbnails
Carreer Worthy?-81920152030110.jpg  

Old 09-09-2015, 05:39 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
I posted from the beginning I would NEVER be a teacher because the parents are horrible. I never did not say teachers are 100% responsible for a child making it- but stop putting people in boxes! This is what is coming across in these forums. Judging on whats on the outside never knowing what is really there. Troubled kids some times mask what is a GEM of talent and intelligence.
I see bad parents- bad teachers and subsequently bad kids, but they are last to blame- they are kids. The post is about SAT scores- has our education system lost it? Finger pointing will never fix it- and calling people stupid only shows one's ignorance. Let's be real- the high percentage of less educated kids presents a BIG problem for the USA's future. You want to blame it on one section of society...and never take responsibility that you too might be a part of the problem with wanting to cast that part of society to the dogs. I can tell you dogs form a pack and then they bite you- the statistics are telling you- we are headed to destroy ourselves.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:01 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
This year, I had to buy 2 reams of printing paper and dry-erase markers for the white board for my 1st grader, among other random classroom items.
Since when are things like this part of the school supply list? Teachers aren't buying their supplies. They are having the parents do it.
That's a fairly isolated incident as I know a few teachers who wind up incurring the cost of supplies, particularly in districts where funding is lower. Seminole County is one of the more fortunate districts in the state apparently.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I posted from the beginning I would NEVER be a teacher because the parents are horrible. I never did not say teachers are 100% responsible for a child making it- but stop putting people in boxes! This is what is coming across in these forums. Judging on whats on the outside never knowing what is really there. Troubled kids some times mask what is a GEM of talent and intelligence.
I see bad parents- bad teachers and subsequently bad kids, but they are last to blame- they are kids. The post is about SAT scores- has our education system lost it? Finger pointing will never fix it- and calling people stupid only shows one's ignorance. Let's be real- the high percentage of less educated kids presents a BIG problem for the USA's future. You want to blame it on one section of society...and never take responsibility that you too might be a part of the problem with wanting to cast that part of society to the dogs. I can tell you dogs form a pack and then they bite you- the statistics are telling you- we are headed to destroy ourselves.
Ambition cannot be taught. If someone wants to work hard, great, encourage them to achieve.

If a kid wants to sit at home and play video games instead of homework, then it's the teacher's fault for not making them score well on SATs and college entrance exams.

If a kid wants to act out defiantly and be disruptive to the class causing other students to be distracted from their learning, then the teacher should stop everything and give up their entire being to find out why the child has had a rough childhood or perhaps needs help at home?

Learning starts at home. Nothing will ever change that. Younger generations are not taught work ethic and they enter the workforce with the same mentality and cause the same disruption to businesses the way they did in school.

I am still hoping natural selection takes over and that the motivated, ambitious, stronger members of society begin to create a better America so that we are not forced to suffer through ignorance and blaming others for the shortcomings of a failed family/home life.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
The facts do not support you, teachers are overpaid and that's just fact.

The average teacher working in a public school today receives total compensation roughly 52 percent higher than what he or she would receive in private-sector employment. In that sense, the teacher is, indeed, "overpaid."
There is no correlation to your argument. Teachers have 4-year degrees and wouldn't have an equivalency in private sector employment most likely other than Corporate Training. In fact your argument could be used to in favor of those in private sector being overpaid to push around paper versus providing a benefit to society (educating children) and is the logical correlation most use when weighing the worth of what a teacher does versus the typical white collar worker.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Education got a cut? Where? Obama even tossed an extra 20 billion into education, for teachers, a few years ago.
In 2012 Florida spending per pupil was last among the 50 states and an amount equal to what it spent back in 2004. How would what you were making in 2004 hold up in 2012? Furthermore as evidenced by other examples of how federal dollars are spent, what do you suppose happened to Florida's allotment from the federal government and a Democratic president when our Republican governor/state legislature got hold of it for distribution?

Old 09-09-2015, 06:25 AM

The crux of the matter is that education is not a priority in this state as evidenced by the long history of dismal funding of public schools and itchy trigger finger on cutting the education budget whenever possible by state leadership. Anyone who says funding and teacher salaries aren't reflective of performance needs to look at the states where they're considered a priority and see the difference.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:28 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittersweetsecrets View Post
Ambition cannot be taught. If someone wants to work hard, great, encourage them to achieve.

If a kid wants to sit at home and play video games instead of homework, then it's the teacher's fault for not making them score well on SATs and college entrance exams.

If a kid wants to act out defiantly and be disruptive to the class causing other students to be distracted from their learning, then the teacher should stop everything and give up their entire being to find out why the child has had a rough childhood or perhaps needs help at home?

Learning starts at home. Nothing will ever change that. Younger generations are not taught work ethic and they enter the workforce with the same mentality and cause the same disruption to businesses the way they did in school.

I am still hoping natural selection takes over and that the motivated, ambitious, stronger members of society begin to create a better America so that we are not forced to suffer through ignorance and blaming others for the shortcomings of a failed family/home life.

This does not happen not even when you went to school-- a disruptive is sent to the principals office or wherever they go now, that has never changed... to send them to be further evaluated is important, maybe they are being abused? do you know or care?

what is this "natural selection" you talking about? - nah can't be thinking that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando