Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 08:41 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,396,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotewoman9 View Post

When people say, "Why Central Florida"... my question is, why not Central Florida? What do you know that I don't?

Why are YOU there... what keeps you there.. why did you raise your children there?
Well, my girlfriend was living in apartment in Orlando and then a misunderstanding happened and she was asked to leave. I rented a storage unit for my girlfriend's stuff for 2 mos. on Silver Star Road. Then my girlfriend moved in with me, into the room I'm renting.

My girlfriend doesn't have a job, and I am supporting her. She thinks she can earn a living off Fan Duel and work from home, but I told her she needs to get a real job. Also her car was repo'd a while ago and I have been driving her around when she can't take LYNX.

I want to move out of Orlando to Lake Mary, where it is safe, but I don't know how were going to rent an apt there because there are some problems with my girlfriend's credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 01:21 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Quote:

Kyle19125 - I like to walk purposefully, and aimlessly. haha.. that's why I inquired about Cady Park. I read that there was a murder there, but when I google pictures people are still apparently going there and seem stress free...?? What's up with that?
Q - So being educated is a drawback? (serious question as this is the stereotype the north makes of the south)
What would you say people are interested in? I sure don't go around citing Lao Tsu or spewing Italian... *grinning*

Mostly, I binge-watch Netflix, Hulu, or like I said, I'm in a good book WHEN I'm not changing diapers, suppressing the urge to throw a tantrum alongside my tantrum throwing 3-year old, setting up playdates and praying he doesn't decide today is the day he is going to bite someone!

A typical day for me is reminding myself to shower and do my hair, stop leaving the house without my mommy backpack, and soaking in any and all of the 'free' time that I get between a demanding job and being a stay-at-home/on-the-go mom.

I work from home/laptop (which is how I can travel as I do) so getting a job isn't a factor. I have one. But being a single income I wanted to get as much bang for my buck in a nice/safe place as I could. Somewhere my son could be raised without being turned into an inner city neurotic (like his mom!), or shallow, narcissistic jerk! (Pacific SW *cough)
There is little purposeful walking here as it's A) too hot 8 months of the year and B) few neighborhoods where one can engage in it. There are a few neighborhoods where one can incorporate it into your lifestyle however.

The Cady Way murder didn't affect the public at large the way a random crime would have, since the victim knew the perpetrators.

In terms of being educated being a drawback, yes it...very much so from my standpoint. More from a viewpoint of what you'll hear people say in varying situations throughout the day indicating a belief system one wouldn't encounter "up north" and said with a conviction that you or others within earshot will undoubtedly agree with the person spouting that view. It runs the gamut from political (lots of Obama haters), economic (amazing amount of hatred toward those collecting entitlements such as welfare/SNAP benefits), religion (lots of anti-Muslim sentiment for example), racial (which you may or may not be exposed to given your race, but likely behind your back) and in general positions on topics such as gun control, abortion and climate change that aren't as a result of self-investigative reading if you get my drift...and lacking in what one would view as "progressive".

People here you'll find are largely interested in chain restaurant dining, shopping in big box stores, in-home pursuits such as TV/gaming and amusement park activities. It is quite different from what you're accustomed to "up north" I would dare to say and not for everyone.

If you're doing this move for a location that's ideal to raise your child in terms of schools/environment along with a "best bang for your buck" economic tag I can name umpteen other cities that would be better fits in both departments. Besides Ann Arbor, Madison or Evanston I would also throw out a city like Durham NC which besides being well-educated and racially blended in some areas has safe walkable neighborhoods with purposeful (and aimless) options, good schools, beautiful topography and a moderate four season climate with real springs and autumns along with mercifully short three to four month summers and very little winter precipitation.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:34 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,507,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
People here you'll find are largely interested in chain restaurant dining, shopping in big box stores, in-home pursuits such as TV/gaming and amusement park activities. It is quite different from what you're accustomed to "up north" I would dare to say and not for everyone.
While you can certainly find those kinds of people here (and anywhere, really), there are plenty of people here who are educated and do patronize local places, attend local events, etc. How else would places like East End Market, Downtown Credo, Stardust Coffee, Austin's, Drunken Monkey etc. (need I go on?) survive in this town? Why else would there have been multiple events downtown in just the past two weeks (Maker Faire, Artlando, and Barktoberfest)? There are working, educated professionals in the city. If you just attend local events and get involved in the community it won't be hard to find others.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
While you can certainly find those kinds of people here (and anywhere, really), there are plenty of people here who are educated and do patronize local places, attend local events, etc. How else would places like East End Market, Downtown Credo, Stardust Coffee, Austin's, Drunken Monkey etc. (need I go on?) survive in this town? Why else would there have been multiple events downtown in just the past two weeks (Maker Faire, Artlando, and Barktoberfest)? There are working, educated professionals in the city. If you just attend local events and get involved in the community it won't be hard to find others.
I didn't suggest there weren't any, and you're right educated people can be found anywhere. The point is one has to go looking for them as you point out in varying places/events versus just being among them, which is a significant difference and not something one can do everyday in most instances. My point to the OP is she's uprooting to make a better life for her/her child and given the scope of where she can go (pretty much anywhere) that this area isn't among the most ideal for their stated criteria.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:27 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,396,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post

People here you'll find are largely interested in chain restaurant dining, shopping in big box stores, in-home pursuits such as TV/gaming and amusement park activities. .
I think my girlfriend may have an addiction to online gaming. I'm not sure how to help her.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:35 PM

5 posts, read 7,913 times
Just wanted to thank you guys again! Kyle19125 & Brinkofsunshine especially!

Old 06-11-2016, 08:45 AM

5 posts, read 7,913 times
Wanted to say Thank You again!! Visited Orlando! ... Was awesome. But... not for me.

Heading to Raleigh to stay with distant relatives to get a vibe. They said they would take us to Durham. Am so excited!

Old 06-11-2016, 08:49 AM

490 posts, read 516,585 times
Orlando is pretty diverse. Where are you working? There are lots of great places to live but you'll want to live near work (20 min) or you'll go nuts living here.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Wanted to say Thank You again!! Visited Orlando! ... Was awesome. But... not for me.

Heading to Raleigh to stay with distant relatives to get a vibe. They said they would take us to Durham. Am so excited!
Durham is a great city and much more in line with what you're looking for. Good luck!

Old 06-12-2016, 09:33 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,572,949 times
Quote:

I work from home/laptop (which is how I can travel as I do) so getting a job isn't a factor. I have one.
What do you do for a living working from home/laptop?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando