Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 08:58 AM

47 posts, read 285,501 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a good private school that works/accommodates kids with Asperger's Syndrome? The child is able to cope academically but has difficulty maintaining focus and be on task. The child is easily distracted by preferred activities and tends to deviate from task easily. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 10:03 AM

146 posts, read 506,514 times
My friend is the president of the Aspen organization (Aspergers) here in NJ. I went to her website and found the following info for the Florida area. I'm sure they'll be able to direct you.

Hillsborough County
AS (Adult) Support Group of Hillsborough County (and surrounding counties)
Michael McCroskery

Miami / South Florida
University of Miami Center for Autism and Related Disabilities
Diane Adreon
Associate Director of Family Support Services
1-800-9-AUTISM

Tallahassee

Tallahassee Autism Support Coalition (T* A* S* C*), is our support group and related resource. Meeting weekly, the Adult 'Autism-Asperger' Social Support group has existed for over a year and is in a continual process of development. As the name suggests, it is for adults with autism, Asperger's Syndrome, or related/similar condition.

T* A* S* C* provides information, referral and other support as possible for higher-functioning adults with autism spectrum disorders, their family members and friends.

For more information, call or write Jarl K. Jackson
T* A* S* C* Coordinator and adult with AS.

411 Chapel Drive #330
Tallahassee, Florida 32304
(850) 412-0141

Old 04-16-2007, 12:46 PM

14 posts, read 81,995 times
Default Gateway Academy

I recommend Gateway Academy in Scottsdale Arizona

http://www.gatewayacademy.us/

It's excellent!

Old 04-19-2007, 09:06 AM

47 posts, read 285,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santee20 View Post
I recommend Gateway Academy in Scottsdale Arizona

http://www.gatewayacademy.us/

It's excellent!
Thanks, but I'm looking for one in Orlando.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:58 PM

4 posts, read 28,527 times
I have heard that this school has had far more former students and teachers than current students and teachers ... and the school is not even two years old ...

Old 06-11-2007, 06:14 PM

1 posts, read 12,742 times
Hi! I have just heard about gateway this week. Iam wondering if the state helps with the tuition or any kind of voucher. Also if someone has a child enrolled I would love to hear some real feedback. Anything will help with our decision to move from deer valley district to put our son there. thanx!

Old 06-12-2007, 03:32 PM

5 posts, read 35,816 times
There's a small school in, I think Winter Springs that is good for social problems or learning disorders, I don't know the name of the school but the owners name is Lynn Yarborough. Good luck

Old 06-26-2007, 10:59 AM

14 posts, read 81,995 times
Hi ccsota,

The state does not help with tuition unless you are awarded a private placement with the deer valley school district. You would probably have to get an attorney involved, anyway there is a scholarship through the Arizona Dept of Education called Arizona Scholarship for Pupils with Disabilities. It started in Fall of 2006. The scholarship is based on your "catagory of disability" which can be found in your IEP documents. Also, there is a Arizona Scholarship Fund located in Mesa that you can filter family and friend's donations into and they will pay 90% to the school. What we did was rally all of our family and friends together to do a tax deductable donation for our son. A couple can contribute $1000 and a single person $500. This is an actual tax credit for the state of arizona.

Thanks, Santee20

Old 07-06-2007, 07:44 AM

1 posts, read 12,664 times
Default Public Schools (FL) dealing with AS

We are relocating to Florida and would like to move to an area that has some public schools that are dealing with AS kids. We can move to any large city (airport) but need good schools.
Where are all the AS kids going to school?
Thanks.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:58 PM

5 posts, read 35,816 times
Bridges Academy in Winter Springs, I was wrong the owner /Director is Jacky Egli they have a waiting list to get in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando