Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 08:36 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,430,725 times

Advertisements

Thank you for posting this, I know it must be very difficult the situation you are in and I admire the fact that you are trying make a big change in hopes of securing a better future in a more desirable area, do not mind the negative posts from some other posters, there are a lot of negative people on these forums. Before you make your big move, I would recommend that you do some deep research and also apply for jobs so you can secure a job prior to moving down, here are a handful of helpful resources that may be helpful for you:

AFFORDABLE HOUSING ASSISTANCE:
HANDS OF CENTRAL FLORIDA - HOUSING COUNSELING ORLANDO
OHA
Property Search

RESOURCES FOR FAMILIES WITH AUTUSTIC CHILDREN:
https://www.asgo.org/
https://www.ocps.net/cs/ese/programs...s/default.aspx
Home - UCF-CARD
Academy for Autism
Applied Behavior Center for Autism

EMPLOYMENT ASSISTANCE:
Home
Home - CareerSource Central Florida
Orlando Jobs | Search for Orlando Florida Jobs, Accounting, Marketing, Sales, Call Center
https://www.employflorida.com/vosnet/Default.aspx

Hope this helps kick start your research and course of action. Please let me know if you have any more questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 08:40 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,396,690 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad5paRXNWVg

Old 10-12-2015, 09:51 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justlikecandee View Post
Oh wow the articles about the homelessness scared me ...

Thank you for all of your advice. I understand the concern. My section 8 voucher is portable. I can move anywhere within the u.s. I dont think I will ever be homeless as long as I pay my rent which is 30% of my income. In nyc right now im paying $422 a month . I get $1466 in ssi. After rent ill have money leftover for food ,cable etc. I also dont like the idea of raising my kids in such a rough environment. Nyc is rough. I cant tell you the brutal fights ive seen. I fear for my children's safety once they reach high school age.

Im not getting disney passes..its way too expensive. I would get the water park passes and possibly the blackout dates passes. I mam around $150 for a month on swagbucks in gift cards. That could easily pay for our entertainment. Getting a car in florida will be a helluva lot cheaper as well.

I dont think homelessness is a concern for me. My family as kooky as they are would help me out if I ever fell on hard financial times.
Check on the lenght of the waiting list for Section 8 housing. Depending on where you go it can be very long. The Orlando Housing Authority "IS NOT" accepting applications for Section 8 at this time.

OHA's Section 8 / HCV Program

Old 10-12-2015, 09:53 AM

Good info Mr. K. It is very important to secure employment b/4 going anywhere. They usually need an Orlando address. A P.O. box can be rented that has an actual street address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
Thank you for posting this, I know it must be very difficult the situation you are in and I admire the fact that you are trying make a big change in hopes of securing a better future in a more desirable area, do not mind the negative posts from some other posters, there are a lot of negative people on these forums. Before you make your big move, I would recommend that you do some deep research and also apply for jobs so you can secure a job prior to moving down, here are a handful of helpful resources that may be helpful for you:

AFFORDABLE HOUSING ASSISTANCE:
HANDS OF CENTRAL FLORIDA - HOUSING COUNSELING ORLANDO
OHA
Property Search

RESOURCES FOR FAMILIES WITH AUTUSTIC CHILDREN:
https://www.asgo.org/
https://www.ocps.net/cs/ese/programs...s/default.aspx
Home - UCF-CARD
Academy for Autism
Applied Behavior Center for Autism

EMPLOYMENT ASSISTANCE:
Home
Home - CareerSource Central Florida
Orlando Jobs | Search for Orlando Florida Jobs, Accounting, Marketing, Sales, Call Center
https://www.employflorida.com/vosnet/Default.aspx

Hope this helps kick start your research and course of action. Please let me know if you have any more questions!

Old 10-12-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Good info Mr. K. It is very important to secure employment b/4 going anywhere. They usually need an Orlando address. A P.O. box can be rented that has an actual street address.
She said she was going to go to school here first for something, then get a job.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:32 AM

NYC is a terrible place to try raising children. The crime rate has climed again, the schools are shot, drugs, ha, lets not even bother going there. The quality of life statistis is not good, for low income people it's worse. The late 1970s were some of the darkest, bleakest years in New York's history. It is no better today and the downward slide continues.
If you care to know what it was like in the 70's read this. James Wolcott on the Seventies | Vanity Fair The forecast is for a return of those days and those that sense this are bailing out of NYC, if they can. The "hipster" crowd is going to have one heck of an awakening.

Quality of life in NYC said to be at its lowest in years, Quinnipiac poll shows | SILive.com

Violent crime spike in New York City similar to increases in cities nationwide, authorities say | Newsday

Schools are a joke as the Dept of Education continues to adjust the numbers to show how good they are doing.

FL

"Florida's high school graduation rate increased for the seventh consecutive year, according to new data from the Florida Department of Education. The percentage of students earning a high school diploma increased to 75.6 percent during the 2012-2013 school year, up from 74.5 percent the previous year"

NYC

"The city's four-year high school graduation rate jumped to 64.2 percent in the 2013-14 school year — up from 61.3 percent the previous year, the state Education Department reported Thursday. A decade ago, the graduation rate was a dismal 46.5%."

If you are able to leave NYC do so as soon as you can. Just be careful not to jump from the frying pan into the fire.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:39 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
I am curious how one can vacation every year and be on section 8 housing vouchers.

I would venture to guess section 8 does not carry to another state so a job, rental deposit, rent, utilities, cost of moving etc. would have to be in hand before the thought of moving. Also disrupting the routine of the children may take a very long time to overcome.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I am curious how one can vacation every year and be on section 8 housing vouchers.

I would venture to guess section 8 does not carry to another state so a job, rental deposit, rent, utilities, cost of moving etc. would have to be in hand before the thought of moving. Also disrupting the routine of the children may take a very long time to overcome.
And I wondered how this person can afford cable TV. But I wasn't going to say anything about it.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:07 AM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post

It works something along the lines of making below a certain percentage of the average income in a given zip code. (I believe it was 30%, but I may be wrong.)
If OP lives in an area with an average income of $75,000, it would take for them to earn less than $25,000/year to qualify. Not hard to find a neighborhood like that in NYC, and if housing is taken care of, $25,000 can go quite a ways.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:29 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,925,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
This video nails it. A family member of mine from Chicago moved to Florida a couple years ago and continues to struggle with two little children. But hey, she doesn't have to deal with snow anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando