Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 05:17 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,075,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Florida isn't good for people needing government assistance. In NYC or surrounding areas, you can live easily without a car. There are more government programs as well. Orlando would not be a good choice.
You, and many other posters, are making it sound like NYC is a good place for her to live needing government assistance. Granted, the subsidies are the highest there, but the chance of escaping significant poverty is next to none. Her children will be stuck on disability for life, they will never be competitive in a job market there that will allow independence. (Unless drastic changes happen in NYC, I'd wager market studio rents will cross over the $2000 threshold across all 5 boros by the time they're 18)

So far, what we know is she is receiving SSI (disability) and Section 8 housing.
Both these programs are federal.

This link provides the limits for a family of three to retain deeply discounted housing.
For housing choice, $20,090 for extremely low, $26,250 for low income. (Less subsidy)

OHA

The challenge does indeed come if you receive other benefits from NYS. Healthcare, reduced metrocards, etc. Those benefits will be absolute nil in Florida.

There is the issue with schools as well, but frankly it's a bad choice one way or the other. NYCDOE is no picnic, but Orange County Schools will require consistent monitoring to provide the best for your children depending on their level of special need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 05:23 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
You, and many other posters, are making it sound like NYC is a good place for her to live needing government assistance. Granted, the subsidies are the highest there, but the chance of escaping significant poverty is next to none. Her children will be stuck on disability for life, they will never be competitive in a job market there that will allow independence. (Unless drastic changes happen in NYC, I'd wager market studio rents will cross over the $2000 threshold across all 5 boros by the time they're 18)

So far, what we know is she is receiving SSI (disability) and Section 8 housing.
Both these programs are federal.

This link provides the limits for a family of three to retain deeply discounted housing.
For housing choice, $20,090 for extremely low, $26,250 for low income. (Less subsidy)

OHA

The challenge does indeed come if you receive other benefits from NYS. Healthcare, reduced metrocards, etc. Those benefits will be absolute nil in Florida.

There is the issue with schools as well, but frankly it's a bad choice one way or the other. NYCDOE is no picnic, but Orange County Schools will require consistent monitoring to provide the best for your children depending on their level of special need.
There are a million more opportunities in NYC than in Orlando or any part of Florida. The main reason I don't recommend struggling people in Florida to move to NYC or SF is because housing will kill you. However, the OP lives in a safe and quiet building for $422 per month! That for most people would be similar to winning the lottery. To live so close to NYC with that kind of rent brings so much opportunity to anyone who really wants it.

The OP needs to encourage her children and raise them right, so they take advantage of their situation. Most poor people are stupid, sorry to be blunt, but it's true. They waste money left and right. They get their pay check and blow it on cigarettes, frozen pre-made dinners etc. If your housing is taken care of, virtually anyone can make it big in the United States, ESPECIALLY if you live close to a major hub like NYC!

-------------------------

And just so my post didn't get burried this was my response just now to the OP:

Since you live in a good building, you should stay there. Most likely you'll be living in a crime ridden apartment complex here and you will need a car to go anywhere. It's also easier to find a job in the NYC area without a degree than in Florida.

If you are serious about making your situation better, get rid of your cable tv and get Netflix or Hulu for $8 per month. I make slightly over $100,000 per year and I did that to lower my monthly expenses. Take that extra savings and put it into a balanced mutual fund, such as Vanguard Wellington, which is the oldest and one of the most cost effective balanced funds out there. The minimum is $3,000 to buy the fund and then after that you can add however much you want to it. I'd recommend every time save $1,000 to buy more. The power of compounding interest will amaze you long-term.

You don't have to be wealthy to invest, but you have to invest to be wealthy.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:25 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,397,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
You, and many other posters, are making it sound like NYC is a good place for her to live needing government assistance. Granted, the subsidies are the highest there, but the chance of escaping significant poverty is next to none. Her children will be stuck on disability for life, they will never be competitive in a job market there that will allow independence.

And what opportunity will they have in Orlando--working 3rd shift at a Circle K?

Old 10-12-2015, 05:48 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,641,337 times
What type of cancer does your mother have that she needs 6 more yes of chemo!! Never heard that one before. Dr. sounds fraudulent to me. Secondly, my nephew is trying to flee Orlando after being there for years. There are other smaller nice cities in new York state. Think your vouchers are good in the state your in but don't transfer to a new state. If you have a caseworker tell her your circumstances and that your mental health and the children's needs some distance. She could advise you where a more quiet town would be in NY.Don't move somewhere because it was fun on vacation. I spent many vacations in fla. but would never want to live there. Get busy on finding a new start within the state your used to and good luck to you and the children. I'd also keep your plans private as you don't want anyone messing with your plans.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:48 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,524,240 times
I can think of a whole lot worse things she can spend a few hundred dollars on besides taking her kids to Disney.

Besides...All of our politicians you elect spend a whole lot more tax-payers hard earned $ than that on a bottle of wine.
I'd rather pay to send a couple kids to see mickey mouse than that any day.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:01 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
I can think of a whole lot worse things she can spend a few hundred dollars on besides taking her kids to Disney.

Besides...All of our politicians you elect spend a whole lot more tax-payers hard earned $ than that on a bottle of wine.
I'd rather pay to send a couple kids to see mickey mouse than that any day.
Do you want my paypal email, so you can send me money? I just want to see if you are full of it or not?

Old 10-12-2015, 06:35 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,524,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Do you want my paypal email, so you can send me money? I just want to see if you are full of it or not?
Oh that's a good one Mr bmw you got me.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:32 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,075,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
And what opportunity will they have in Orlando--working 3rd shift at a Circle K?
A Wawa assistant manager can make 40K in Orlando, possibly working 3rd shift.
A server at a decent restaurant here can make 20-50K a year.
After 1 year of Tech school she could get a job as an esthethtician or medial records keeper and make 30K a year.

All of these are a living wage here, even if Section 8 housing subsides. Tough for a family of 3, but if she's receiving SSI for her autistic sons, that will help cover costs.

Living at Market Rates in NYC would require at least double those salaries. Those jobs in New York do not pay double the wages.

Even living on Section 8, at least if she could get a full time Housekeeping Gig at WDW, she's got some basic coverages and can take her kids to the park whenever she wants on her days off. At $10 an hour, she'd be working poor- but quite possibly in a better environment.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:10 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,622,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I was curious is all, if she thinks it is appropriate to go on vacation is fine while her rent is subsidized that is her decision to live with which appears to not be an issue since they go every year,

I am curious how much longe her subsidy would last if she boasted to the section 8 office about going on vacation yearly.
Do you even know how the OP vacations in Orlando yearly? I have family from the NYC area who crash with me instead of staying in hotels and we feed them as well!
Just because somebody gets Section 8 doesn't mean they can't vacation like others or are taking advantage of their situation.

You sound like one of those people who are bitter when people on food stamps can buy lobsters and you are buying 80/20 Ground beef instead.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:42 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,510,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Do you even know how the OP vacations in Orlando yearly? I have family from the NYC area who crash with me instead of staying in hotels and we feed them as well!
Just because somebody gets Section 8 doesn't mean they can't vacation like others or are taking advantage of their situation.

You sound like one of those people who are bitter when people on food stamps can buy lobsters and you are buying 80/20 Ground beef instead.
I'm not the person you responded to, but I happened to look up OP's post history because the story sounded familiar. She made another thread a while back and mentioned how she spent 10 nights at an onsite Disney hotel. There's no way that would be less than $1,000. She also mentioned in that thread that she didn't feel inclined to work when she was getting by on SSI and Section 8.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando