Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 05:22 AM

26,978 posts, read 43,513,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
Don't all renters pay property taxes indirectly through their rent?

Yes. I do understand that regardless of taxes, landlords (individuals or apartment complexes) must charge what the market will accept, which could at times put them at a loss when factoring in building expenses, which includes property taxes. I would assume that the landlords that don't have 20 mortgages don't have to worry about that much though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Moose View Post
Since when are apartment community owners exempt from the taxes? They usually qualify for no property tax exemptions, and don't receive the services from the city that the rest of the residents receive despite paying for them. I'm not sure what each county/municipality does here, but I know typically they are charged for and do not receive trash service (dumpsters are charged extra per dumpster), local roadway maintenance (apartment community roads must be privately maintained), street lighting, fire hydrant service (private complex owners are often forced to maintain the lines, pay for flushing/testing them as required)

They are not the voters in the local elections so the politicians take advantage of them to keep tax lower for everyone else... And then it gets passed back to the renters, but they don't associate it that way.
Rental Community Developers have all kinds of incentives to build, and among them are tax abatements.

Crowntree Lakes in Lee Vista is one example, with a $100 land value on the tax books for 2015.
http://maps.ocpafl.org/m/home/map#&ui-state=dialog

Here's another in Country Walk with another $100 land value for 2015.

So much for the concept that most renters are supporting the infrastructure cost/maintenance in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 02:34 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,730,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Rental Community Developers have all kinds of incentives to build, and among them are tax abatements.

Crowntree Lakes in Lee Vista is one example, with a $100 land value on the tax books for 2015.

Here's another in Country Walk with another $100 land value for 2015.

So much for the concept that most renters are supporting the infrastructure cost/maintenance in the area.

I looked up my apartment complex (which I'm obviously not going to name) and they paid $200,000 in taxes according to http://www.octaxcol.com for 2015. They have a $10 million taxable value.

Old 12-02-2015, 05:33 AM

26,978 posts, read 43,513,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
I looked up my apartment complex (which I'm obviously not going to name) and they paid $200,000 in taxes according to Scott Randolph, Orange County Tax Collector – Official Site for 2015. They have a $10 million taxable value.
I'm sure there are a good number of complexes out there where that may be the case, which are probably older and past their abatement years or perhaps sold to another company which voided the original development agreement. The point being there are a lot out there NOT paying taxes for 10-20 years.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:44 AM

46 posts, read 54,387 times
I looked up every single one I lived in before I moved into a single family home and they are all paying on the millions there buildings are worth as well... a few under 10 years old... there may be some getting away with it (just as there are many homes that get away with it, ag exemption, homestead, military/veterans exemptions, etc)

Old 12-02-2015, 02:28 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,730,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'm sure there are a good number of complexes out there where that may be the case, which are probably older and past their abatement years or perhaps sold to another company which voided the original development agreement. The point being there are a lot out there NOT paying taxes for 10-20 years.
I see what you are saying. My complex was sold to another company in the past couple of years, but even their tax bill is six figures. However, it was built in the mid-90s. Perhaps the previous owner, a national corporation, wasn't the original owner, or such rules didn't exist back then. I did look up a newer complex and they had a $100 land value.

Well, at least I know I'm contributing, albeit indirectly.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:46 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,570,627 times
I was by the airport on Saturday on Conway. I hopped on 528 so I could get off at the very next exit since it saves a little time over turning down McCoy (I was going to a business on Orange). Well, I saw too late that the new ramp was open with a sign saying it was $1.25 to exit there. So they will be charging $1.25 to go a few hundred yards down 528! Lucky for me, their system wasn't set up to charge yet, but the new rates seem excessive!

And as for the comments about this making up for no state income tax, our state makes plenty off of tourism to do just fine. We lived in Texas for nearly 9 years (Houston area). Texas has no state income tax either, and the vast majority of their highways are free.

Old 12-22-2015, 05:25 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,260,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
I was by the airport on Saturday on Conway. I hopped on 528 so I could get off at the very next exit since it saves a little time over turning down McCoy (I was going to a business on Orange). Well, I saw too late that the new ramp was open with a sign saying it was $1.25 to exit there. So they will be charging $1.25 to go a few hundred yards down 528! Lucky for me, their system wasn't set up to charge yet, but the new rates seem excessive!

And as for the comments about this making up for no state income tax, our state makes plenty off of tourism to do just fine. We lived in Texas for nearly 9 years (Houston area). Texas has no state income tax either, and the vast majority of their highways are free.
Tx also has higher sales and property taxes. You pay one way or the other

Old 12-23-2015, 11:51 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,570,627 times
Sales tax is slightly higher (8% on the dollar as opposed to 7% here). I agree that property tax is high in TX, but for people who rent, the cost of living will likely be lower in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando