Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 07:54 PM

19 posts, read 21,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
There are townhomes in Windermere (the new part along 535) in your budget. It's not particularly far from Universal and it'll be safe and newer than what you would find in DP.
I don't know what to make of townhomes. I wouldn't have any issue living in one but from an investment perspective it usually seems like SFHs have an advantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 09:11 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheredoigo View Post
I don't know what to make of townhomes. I wouldn't have any issue living in one but from an investment perspective it usually seems like SFHs have an advantage.
SFR tend to recover first after any housing crash. However, townhomes aren't a bad investment either. There are many buyers these days that don't want to deal with all the issues of owning your own SFR. You still have some privacy compared to a condo as well. However, location is most important when it comes to investment properties. A condo in Dr. Phillips will do better than a large SFR in the boondocks of Orlando.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:18 AM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
SFR tend to recover first after any housing crash. However, townhomes aren't a bad investment either. There are many buyers these days that don't want to deal with all the issues of owning your own SFR. You still have some privacy compared to a condo as well. However, location is most important when it comes to investment properties. A condo in Dr. Phillips will do better than a large SFR in the boondocks of Orlando.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:25 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
A SFH in a crappy location <<<<< TH/condo in a good one. I've personally had an experience owning a TH in DP vs a buddy who bought a SFH in the "new" windermere off 535. My TH has gone up much more secondary to location

Old 12-08-2015, 06:26 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Lol should have read your response, you nailed it. A buddy of mine wanted more house and went with "Windermere" off 535. I've done much better with the DP TH

Old 12-08-2015, 10:28 AM

82 posts, read 95,248 times
Decent area for a house around 150K?

Old 12-08-2015, 12:32 PM

626 posts, read 975,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Lol should have read your response, you nailed it. A buddy of mine wanted more house and went with "Windermere" off 535. I've done much better with the DP TH
What's DP?

Old 12-08-2015, 12:45 PM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovfl View Post
What's DP?
It's rapper Ludacris' label, Disturbing tha Peace, more commonly called DTP. It's responsible for producing garbage such as Chingy and Lil Scrappy in the early to mid 2000s.

Unless DP is used to refer to Dr. Philips here...

Old 12-12-2015, 12:44 PM

19 posts, read 21,843 times
Quote:
Yup, absolutely agree and have no interest in buying property in the boondocks. While I agree that townhomes can be good investments, the ones I've seen haven't been great values when compared to SFRs. Often when you factor in HOA fees, etc you end up paying as much if not more than you would on an equivalent SFR.

Old 12-12-2015, 01:33 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Yup, absolutely agree and have no interest in buying property in the boondocks. While I agree that townhomes can be good investments, the ones I've seen haven't been great values when compared to SFRs. Often when you factor in HOA fees, etc you end up paying as much if not more than you would on an equivalent SFR.
My house in Dr. Phillips needed a new solar heater, pool screen, water heater, grass sod, fence, misc repairs... my point is there always seems to be something that needs repairing or replacing when you own a home lol, so even without an HOA, it still can add up a lot. I still prefer SFR and non-HOA properties though, but the cost of HOAs aren't so bad in my opinion, it's more about the regulations and rules they have that annoy me.

Water Heater + Installation: $850
New Fence + Gate: $9,700
Solar Heater: $4,600
New Lawn: $14,500
New Screen: $8,900

These are just some home repairs I'm doing (still have more to do), so if you average it out monthly for the next 10 years, it's still quite expensive and this isn't including maintenance, just repairs/replacements.

Last edited by bmw335xi; 12-12-2015 at 01:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando