Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 07:33 AM

146 posts, read 220,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
It isn't a difficult concept for me to grasp or to understand.
Your issue is your work schedule, and the time you wake up, yet you want the clocks to bend and schedule around that.

You can maximize your daylight by waking up earlier, and trying to work earlier hours -or- you can petition the gov't to push us further into 'saving' time. Maybe keep the sun out till 7PM, and the sun wont rise until 8:30AM. Displace other workers and children just so you can have 'LATER SUNSETS'.
The entire point of this thread was about Florida's consideration of keeping the "spring forward" hours permanently. I'm in support of it for the reasons I mentioned. You're not going to convince me otherwise, and you're certainly not going to convince me that I'm somehow crazy or demanding something so batsh*t stupid that it calls my sanity into question. If they keep it the way it is then fine. I'm not going to weep about it. It's not a huge deal and there are way more pressing matters for Florida to deal with. If they wanna put it on a ballot then I'll vote for it. I'm sure many people share my sentiment. Even if they didn't, WHO CARES. It's a luxury, not a necessity.

You however, are so caught up in this subject and so quick to jump into combative territory about it that I wonder who is really the loopy one here. You need to relax. No ones going to affect your precious clocks. You can stop the humorless posts now.

Last edited by MCOWPB; 12-16-2015 at 08:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 02:32 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCOWPB View Post
The summer 8:30 PM sunset going away would be so ****ty. That's not what they're proposing is it? Or is it the opposite?

The spring forward thing is what I wanna keep. Not the fall back which is awful.
I get moody and glum this time of year becuz of that stupid time change. SAD is a real thing.

Quote:
WHO CARES. It's a luxury, not a necessity.

You however, are so caught up in this subject and so quick to jump into combative territory about it that I wonder who is really the loopy one here. You need to relax. No ones going to affect your precious clocks.
Tying back to the original topic, and your original post, it's a little clearer now about what you're looking for.

'The fall back thing which is awful' is actual, the real established standard time. You don't care for that. You prefer when the sun is out later according to the clocks.

SAD, which is 'a real thing'. Has nothing to do with the roll back to standard time.
Depression, anxiety, and mood swings related to clock changing and jet lag are a totally different series of disorders. I'm sure it's a complex serious of issues that starts your mood swings.

I'm pretty relaxed about the subject, my 'caught-up-itness' about the subject, is that you claim so many reasons that the daylight time is preferential. However, they're selfish reasons.
You want the hour of daylight after YOUR work. You're willing to put the entire state of Florida out of time sync with the rest of the Eastern time zone, for that to happen.
Popular decisions does not, nor should, dictate science.

Every day has a dawn, and a dusk. Enlighten yourself how to maximize that.
Right now, you're not getting it.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:36 PM

146 posts, read 220,461 times
So I'm selfish and I want Florida to be out of sync with the rest of the Eastern time zone because I like later sunsets. All true.

And your point is?

You haven't really zinged or one upped me. The standard established time isn't as nice as the fake one we have that starts in March. For me at least. Probably for a few other people too. Oh well. Leap year is a funny anomaly we have every 4 years, I bet you'd have a conniption about that too if it was messed with. Idk what the deal is with you. You take this very seriously. I only got snippy with you when you started patronizing me. Prior to that I was just having fun with the topic. I'm not really that invested in clocks changing from what they are.

I'll definitely remember this convo if this Florida-specific time change comes to pass, lol. I'm sure you'll have worked up a hemorrhoid by then about it. And I'll be watching rooftop sunsets with a vodka at 6:30 in December instead of 5:30.

Old 12-16-2015, 04:26 PM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Quote:
Tying back to the original topic, and your original post, it's a little clearer now about what you're looking for.

'The fall back thing which is awful' is actual, the real established standard time. You don't care for that. You prefer when the sun is out later according to the clocks.

SAD, which is 'a real thing'. Has nothing to do with the roll back to standard time.
Depression, anxiety, and mood swings related to clock changing and jet lag are a totally different series of disorders. I'm sure it's a complex serious of issues that starts your mood swings.

I'm pretty relaxed about the subject, my 'caught-up-itness' about the subject, is that you claim so many reasons that the daylight time is preferential. However, they're selfish reasons.
You want the hour of daylight after YOUR work. You're willing to put the entire state of Florida out of time sync with the rest of the Eastern time zone, for that to happen.

none of us in here put forth a "bill"-- so if it passes you will live with it and and some of us be cheering . I am a native and we are different anyhow-- 85 degrees Dec 15TH? yep

Old 12-16-2015, 05:18 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,397,028 times
Quote:

You are right, you won the debate (just like Trump did). Ignore the hater on here who keeps arguing with you.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:16 PM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
SANTA FE, N.M. —A bill that would keep New Mexico on daylight saving time passed the state Senate on Tuesday.Bill to end daylight saving time-changes passes Senate | New Mexico News - KOAT Home

Fl not only state working on it!

What states do not observe Daylight Savings Time?
States and territories in the United States that do not observe daylight saving time, aside from most of Arizona, include: Hawaii, American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands. Some parts of Indiana did not observe daylight saving time in the past.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...g+bill+pass%3F

UNEAU -- The Alaska Senate passed a bill Wednesday to kill daylight saving time, voting 16-4 to send the measure to the House.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
So I'm selfish and I want Florida to be out of sync with the rest of the Eastern time zone because I like later sunsets. All true.

And your point is?

You haven't really zinged or one upped me. The standard established time isn't as nice as the fake one we have that starts in March. For me at least. Probably for a few other people too. Oh well. Leap year is a funny anomaly we have every 4 years, I bet you'd have a conniption about that too if it was messed with. Idk what the deal is with you. You take this very seriously. I only got snippy with you when you started patronizing me. Prior to that I was just having fun with the topic. I'm not really that invested in clocks changing from what they are.

I'll definitely remember this convo if this Florida-specific time change comes to pass, lol. I'm sure you'll have worked up a hemorrhoid by then about it. And I'll be watching rooftop sunsets with a vodka at 6:30 in December instead of 5:30.
You wouldn't need patronization if you didn't appear so misinformed.
You prefer sunlight after work, but chose a work schedule that doesn't work with it- don't proceed that it's anything other than that.

Leap year is a necessity to keep out calendar working in alignment with the cosmic movement. We can't just choose to observe it or not as the calendar/seasons would misalign. Did you know it isn't -every- 4 years?

Old 12-16-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
SANTA FE, N.M. —A bill that would keep New Mexico on daylight saving time passed the state Senate on Tuesday.Bill to end daylight saving time-changes passes Senate | New Mexico News - KOAT Home

Fl not only state working on it!

What states do not observe Daylight Savings Time?
States and territories in the United States that do not observe daylight saving time, aside from most of Arizona, include: Hawaii, American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands. Some parts of Indiana did not observe daylight saving time in the past.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...g+bill+pass%3F

UNEAU -- The Alaska Senate passed a bill Wednesday to kill daylight saving time, voting 16-4 to send the measure to the House.
Thanks for the link.

Man, the posts people make on there make this look like the Cato Institute.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:19 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
There is absolutely minimal benefit to clock changing in Florida, which I completely understand and agree the system should be taken out here. While I would prefer Standard Time to Daylight Time, either way once we are on a solid we can adjust school/work schedules to align better with the sun.

Schools realistically would not be able to start here until 8AM, though that's another bill already in the works.
Perpetual Daylight time is just TOO dark here in the mornings, with Florida having most of the latest sunrises in the continental US.
Here's a thought. Tourism is one of 2 industries that support Florida. (agriculture is the other)
If you talk to many tourists who visit Southwest Florida where I worked & lived for many years, they'll tell you how much they enjoy watching the sunset. There are some coastal areas where there's a sunset celebration. People sit outside while they eat & drink and, as the sun disappears into the Gulf of Mexico, they begin to cheer & applaud. So maybe later sunsets might increase profits for local businesses, since more people will be walking around after dinner.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Here's a thought. Tourism is one of 2 industries that support Florida. (agriculture is the other)
If you talk to many tourists who visit Southwest Florida where I worked & lived for many years, they'll tell you how much they enjoy watching the sunset. There are some coastal areas where there's a sunset celebration. People sit outside while they eat & drink and, as the sun disappears into the Gulf of Mexico, they begin to cheer & applaud. So maybe later sunsets might increase profits for local businesses, since more people will be walking around after dinner.
Those who are tourist-ing, may be off where work wouldn't be prohibiting them from having dinner when the sunsets. Regardless of the hour it is. Our bodies (typically) function from Dawn until Dusk with our meal periods spaced out.

Those who lobby FOR daylight saving do include Convenience Stores (darker mornings are a plus for 7-11, who lobbied heavily for the 2007 extension) and retail commerce who finds people are less likely to go right home after work if the sun is out. Ironically, they go to a mall or store- even more ironically, someone has to be working at that store or mall, so... maybe they aren't functionally getting any extra sunlight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando