Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2016, 10:15 AM

6 posts, read 5,909 times

Advertisements

Hi there!
Along September 2016 we´ll be moving with my husband and 13 year old daughter from Buenos Aires, to Orlando (or Miami?). Could you please recommend me safe areas, family and immigration friendly areas? Or in any case which areas to avoid? We´re still hesitating because opinions are divided regarding the crime rates between Orlando and Miami. We visited and liked Lake Nona but it may be too expensive for us. We visited and liked Weston but don´t know if our teenage daughter will have any social life. Thank you for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 11:11 AM

17,182 posts, read 15,382,471 times
For starters, what is your budget range? Will you and/or husband be working? In what area?

Old 02-15-2016, 11:24 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,193 times
There are more Argentines in South Florida. South Florida is generally more crowded, population density is high because the Everlglades and Ocean limit development. Orlando is much more spread out, so you would probably get a bigger house with more land for the same money in Orlando.

Miami-Dade County has 59% of the population who speak Spanish as a first language, you could live in Miami and never speak English. Miami has people from all over Latin America but Cubans are historically the Hispanic community in Orlando the majority of Hispanic population is Puerto Rican.

Either metro are you would be fine being an immigrant family. Florida is mostly people who have moved from other areas of the US. So being a newcomer is the norm.

Both are hotter than Buenos Aires, but it gets "colder" in Orlando during the winter, there are a few nights of freezing temperatures of course seasons are opposite.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:02 PM

We´ll probably buy an existing store or a franchise, and then we may have 200k more or less to buy a house... I don´t that´s enough budget to buy a house in Weston, is it?

Old 02-15-2016, 02:08 PM

I don´t necessarily need to be with Argentines or other Hispanics, as a matter of fact we´d like to mingle with all people. Our concerns are more related to the healthy social integration of our teenage daughter, and support our family with freedom and values. We come from a 40% inflation. We come from a totalitarian regime, so we´re looking for peace, decency, and of course, happiness.

Old 02-15-2016, 03:37 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutiperco View Post
I don´t necessarily need to be with Argentines or other Hispanics, as a matter of fact we´d like to mingle with all people. Our concerns are more related to the healthy social integration of our teenage daughter, and support our family with freedom and values. We come from a 40% inflation. We come from a totalitarian regime, so we´re looking for peace, decency, and of course, happiness.
I understand, I have friends from Argentina and Uruguay. If it were me I would rather Central Florida. I have friends who are from South Florida and they are much happier away from the fast-paced and crowded life in Miami. If you look in some of the older suburbs in Seminole County you may be able to find something in your budget. Looking at other cities in Florida like Tampa area or Jacksonville may be an option as well. Not as well known internationally, but still growing economies.

Are you set on Florida? Possibly consider other states as well.

Old 02-15-2016, 03:43 PM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
I knew A LOT of Argentinians- in Miami -SOCCER ruled- but here - not met any yet- you don't need it- but you will miss your culture! There are a lot of places to live-but to make a small business work- that's will be what I'd make decision on- not on the 13 yr old she will adapt.

Social life in South FL? that is like 125% sure - here maybe no so much -depending where you live. The retirees are everywhere. My grands range from 7- 15- and the 15 is in Clermont- great schools- but too far away from "life" --I feel for her- only other thing is they go play sports and the parents have to pay the little leagues fees- not cheap-

I personalty found the support system better in S-FL -I am 5 m from downtown Orlando- and have great neighbors- but not like Sunrise, when a hurricane hits, you see who helps you! Great people in S-FL
stay away 5 mi radius from Pine Hills- Good luck and hope all turn out well

Old 02-16-2016, 12:14 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Orlando (Good Areas):

Dr. Phillips
Windermere
Winter Park
Baldwin Park
Thornton Park
Lake Nona
Lake Mary

Check for home listings on www.redfin.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando