Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2016, 10:57 AM

53 posts, read 59,404 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I know that Seminole county schools are A rated. But, i'm wondering what the difference is in the schools. Hagerty and Oviedo HS are rated a 10 and Winter Springs and Lake Brantley are rated at an 8. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge as to why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 11:07 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
It's some weird algorithm used on one website and would question that much of a drop-off between them, especially if your child is an above-average performer. All are generally seen as "A" rated and there is one you left off that is equal or better than WSHS and LBHS in Southern Seminole County, which is Lake Howell High School.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:06 PM

See, which is weird - because Lake Howell is listed as a 7. I'm sure they are all good schools. It's just so hard. We are trying to pick the best schools for our kids. We have two in elem and one in MS and one entering HS. They are in a science and math magnet school, so just trying to make sure that they go to an equally or better school that they are in now. I do appreciate all of the feedback.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemom1225 View Post
See, which is weird - because Lake Howell is listed as a 7. I'm sure they are all good schools. It's just so hard. We are trying to pick the best schools for our kids. We have two in elem and one in MS and one entering HS. They are in a science and math magnet school, so just trying to make sure that they go to an equally or better school that they are in now. I do appreciate all of the feedback.
The best way to figure it out is through school visits if you're willing to be this involved. You know your kids and what type of environment they'll thrive best in. Some schools can be uber-competitive and more cliquish so if you feel they won't perform as well in that kind of environment perhaps a school that presents differently is the best fit. School Administrators and Guidance Counselors can give you a quick idea of what the general feel is with some properly worded questions. Also bear in mind because of budget cuts and overcrowding in some schools there isn't enough space in some for new students, even if you happen to live within the traditional zone of a particular school. There are instances where new students are being forced out of their "neighborhood" option into schools half an hour away. Of your options Hagerty HS overall is the highest rated of the bunch mentioned with a slight falloff to Oviedo HS, Lake Howell HS or Lake Brantley HS. Getting back to Lake Howell as an FYI, it's been ranked as an A+ school by the state the past four years in a row and yet it's just a "7" on the site you mention. I wouldn't place a lot of credibility on that site in other words.

Lake Howell High School > Home

Old 02-25-2016, 03:24 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
I would look into the specific programs that your kids would want. Like Kyle stated, overall the High Schools are all highly rated and reputable but each does have individual strengths. My personal experience I attended Lake Brantley years ago and had family follow after me. It's a great school academically, athletically and the arts but I don't know if it's extraordinarily strong in science, but the offered AP classes in science starting in 9th Biology and in math starting in 10th grade with Alegbra and Trig if I remember correctly. However, it is not a magnet as far as I know.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:20 PM

156 posts, read 220,236 times
A mother of 2 and also did a bunch of search online which helps you narrow it down, but you really need to look at the school website to see what they have to offer. My friend moved down from Ohio and first she was going to choose hs in Oviedo but after the tour and talking with staff, they chose winter park hs instead as it fits their kids need more then Seminole hs and it is central to live in wp for them. They love it at winter park hs. I couldn't afford to live in a nice area of winter park. I tour hagerty and middle school in the area and ended up in orange county cause it has better orchestra and the piano classes which Chile ms and hagerty do not have. Echo prior posters to go tour school and area.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:25 AM

Thanks everyone. Yes, it's hard to just tell things from online. I've been on each school's website and their fb groups to get a look inside, but yes, a tour is definitely going to be the way to go. What makes it so hard is the fact that my son is entering high school and courses are being selected right now. So, I feel like I need to make a decision asap. My husband did attend the freshman open house at Hagerty and was very impressed with the feel, but was out of town on business for the Oviedo and the others.

Both of my older children are extremely interested in Marine biology and are focusing on that right now. My daughter is also an engineering buff. - Does anyone know if either of the schools have a focus on either of the two? I have other seen the programs listed, but nothing mentioning marine biology. Guess I'll be spending some time touring schools. Should I take my 8th grader with me while I'm investigating them? I hate moving! UGH.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemom1225 View Post
Both of my older children are extremely interested in Marine biology and are focusing on that right now. My daughter is also an engineering buff. - Does anyone know if either of the schools have a focus on either of the two? I have other seen the programs listed, but nothing mentioning marine biology. Guess I'll be spending some time touring schools. Should I take my 8th grader with me while I'm investigating them? I hate moving! UGH.
Lyman HS is a good option for one as it has an Engineering Academy.

Lyman High School Institute For Engineering > Home

Otherwise they're in the wrong location with this area being one of the furthest places in FL from the coast. There's always the option of Summer programs in varying locations throughout Florida and other states on the east coast.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:28 AM

156 posts, read 220,236 times
Not sure about Seminole but my son is going to high school and they have dual/collegiate program which I think they do have it in Seminole that you can register your kids into. My friend son wants to be in engineering chemical, took collegiate academy while in high school, graduating this year with hs diploma and AA and will be going to one of fl universities, going directly to 3rd year chemical engineering as he finished 2 years of college while in hs for free. If you like the area , you may want to look at this option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando