U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 11:22 AM

8,963 posts, read 7,214,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I was picking up some friends from Universal's Employee Center last night. It goes around a median, like a small loop for picking up or dropping off people. As I pulled up there were maybe 5-10 cars lined up waiting to pick someone up. The car in front of me got impatient and literally slammed his gas peddle in reverse, while doing a sharp illegal U-turn, almost clipping my car, but I held my horn and he stopped just in time. He then went up the wrong direction and then reversed again also very fast into the front of the line.

I got out of my car and called 9-1-1 and reported him as a reckless driver that might be drunk or on drugs and gave the police his license plate, so I wonder if they will do anything about it or not. Orlando definitely needs to do more enforcement. I've lived in a lot of places the drivers here are by far the most reckless and it isn't tourists. In San Francisco, we got a lot of tourists who are completely virgins to the mass swarms of one way streets, cable cars, muni lanes, etc... tourists usually just drive really slow and are more frustrating than anything else, but not very dangerous.
A cpl yrs ago I saw a male in an Audi get impatient and he drove on the sidewalk in the Windermere area. I was on my way to work.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 02:18 PM

22,574 posts, read 21,419,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
A cpl yrs ago I saw a male in an Audi get impatient and he drove on the sidewalk in the Windermere area. I was on my way to work.
I believe it. I've seen quite a few people drive along the grass median, so they could get to the turning lane faster.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:34 PM

24,388 posts, read 21,325,256 times
I needed a ride home from the dealership this morning cuz I couldn't take the loaner they offered. The driver was from New Yawk originally and he told me the traffic here is CALM compared to what he used to drive in in NY!!! I must have hit it on good times when I was there! Learned a new way to get back and forth to the dealership that bypasses I4!!! Hurray! Little by little I am making headway around here!

Almost got creamed by a chickie-poo coming off I4 yesterday. She bombed past me on the left after the entrance to the exit. If I hadn't seen her in my peripheral....smash! I ended up next to her at the red light at the end of the exit. I was glaring and swearing at her waiting for her to look up from texting cuz I really wanted to give her the finger. Nope, never looked up once. Green light, sped away still texting.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:41 PM

12,341 posts, read 9,092,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I needed a ride home from the dealership this morning cuz I couldn't take the loaner they offered. The driver was from New Yawk originally and he told me the traffic here is CALM compared to what he used to drive in in NY!!! I must have hit it on good times when I was there! Learned a new way to get back and forth to the dealership that bypasses I4!!! Hurray! Little by little I am making headway around here!

Almost got creamed by a chickie-poo coming off I4 yesterday. She bombed past me on the left after the entrance to the exit. If I hadn't seen her in my peripheral....smash! I ended up next to her at the red light at the end of the exit. I was glaring and swearing at her waiting for her to look up from texting cuz I really wanted to give her the finger. Nope, never looked up once. Green light, sped away still texting.
I wouldn't really call NYC drivers BAD. They are just are aggressive. All of them. When everyone is on the same page, you feel much safer. Here, we have a mix-mash of slowpoke elderly, lost and confused tourists, F1-driving boy-racers, chicks yapping away on their phones, or worst yet, texting, meth-heads, etc. Drivers in FL in general are just terrible.

Old 04-21-2016, 04:40 PM

151 posts, read 127,430 times
Today a driver pulled out from a stop sign in front of me, causing me to slam on the brakes and I honked my horn at him. He then started making hand gestures through the window and then pulled over and started yelling at me out the window as I just drove right by, no eye contact, no hand gestures, just honked because of how close of a call it was.

Old 04-21-2016, 05:43 PM

8,963 posts, read 7,214,709 times
A guy honked at me yesterday as two lanes merged. Apparently he didn't realize I was in the correct lane and he was supposed to merge. Not only that, he then honked at me again as I turned into my community. You would have thought he'd realize he was at fault but he didn't. He had to honk at me one more time as I was turning. Idiot. Connecticut license plate, mid 50s in age I'm guessing, Hispanic male.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I wouldn't really call NYC drivers BAD. They are just are aggressive. All of them. When everyone is on the same page, you feel much safer. Here, we have a mix-mash of slowpoke elderly, lost and confused tourists, F1-driving boy-racers, chicks yapping away on their phones, or worst yet, texting, meth-heads, etc. Drivers in FL in general are just terrible.
This is true, Arcenal. Although every state has it's share of BAD drivers, Florida does seem to have the most. I was telling the "kid" who was my chauffeur yesterday, that I was taught to drive from the time I used to sit on Daddy's lap behind the wheel. Dad's second job was taxi-cab driver, so I was taught to be a very aggressive driver which, I was all my life. Until I moved here. Now I am a totally DEFENSIVE driver. I EXPECT a-holes to run red lights, turn right when the left blinker is on, go totally across 4 lanes to turn into a store or street, etc. Driving is a chore now, no longer a pleasure. I grew up taking "pleasure drives" on Sundays. No stores were open, no immigrants that thought they were still riding the bicycles along the rice fields, practically no stop lights except for in town, no hopped-up druggies and no distracted driving for the most part. Even as recently as the '90s, hubby and I would just drive north into NH, VT, Maine for a day trip of sightseeing. There HAS to be nice places to sightsee down here but how the hell do you get there? Of course I am just lamenting. Going for "just looking" drives is no fun anymore without my husband. Just complaining to let off frustration of the horrors of driving in Florida.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:43 AM

12,135 posts, read 14,242,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
This is true, Arcenal. Although every state has it's share of BAD drivers, Florida does seem to have the most. I was telling the "kid" who was my chauffeur yesterday, that I was taught to drive from the time I used to sit on Daddy's lap behind the wheel. Dad's second job was taxi-cab driver, so I was taught to be a very aggressive driver which, I was all my life. Until I moved here. Now I am a totally DEFENSIVE driver. I EXPECT a-holes to run red lights, turn right when the left blinker is on, go totally across 4 lanes to turn into a store or street, etc. Driving is a chore now, no longer a pleasure. I grew up taking "pleasure drives" on Sundays. No stores were open, no immigrants that thought they were still riding the bicycles along the rice fields, practically no stop lights except for in town! Even as recently as the '90s, hubby and I would just drive north into NH, VT, Maine for a day trip of sightseeing. There HAS to be nice places to sightsee down here but how the hell do you get there? Of course I am just lamenting. Going for "just looking" drives is no fun anymore without my husband. Just complaining to let off frustration of the horrors of driving in Florida.
There are places where you can still enjoy a Sunday drive. They just are not in or close to any metro areas.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
There are places where you can still enjoy a Sunday drive. They just are not in or close to any metro areas.
Where are they? How do you get to them?

Old 04-22-2016, 11:28 AM

12,135 posts, read 14,242,853 times
One of my most favorite drives is down the Spring Lake Highway which you can get to by taking SR 50 (Colonial Drive there)
West. Stay on "50" until you go under I-75. 4 miles later you will be at Spring Lake Drive (County Road 541). On that corner you will find "Remington Outpost" which is a great place to shop for western wear. Just south of Remington Outpost is "Papa Joes" which is a very good Italian restaurant (good stop for lunch). A few miles south of there is Boyette's Grove. It's a citrus farm and attraction with a petting zoo. Kids love that place. If you continue south you will get to Blanton Road, go east on it which will take you into Dade City which is a pretty little town. After Dade City you can go North on US 301 which will take you north back to SR 50. 50 east will take you back to Orlando.

Its a very scenic trip and the drive gets nice after the town of Mascotte on SR 50. Spring Lake Drive is rolling Hills and wonderful vistas.

You will go about 60 miles west on 50 to Remington Outpost from downtown Orlando, about 25 miles from Remington Outpost to Dade City, 15 miles from Dade City back to SR 50 and then about 55 miles back to Orlando. About 150 miles round trip.

You will see a totally different Florida from where you are now. If you wanted to "overnight" it there are major brand motels at I-75 and 50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando