Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 10:22 PM

28 posts, read 27,736 times

Advertisements

I have a question about Florida. Where does the southern culture take place in florida? i'm under the impression that its mostly north Florida and north of the Orlando area? i'm just curious. I'm also under the impression that central and south Florida has no southern culture at all? Am I correct? If you can answer this question I would really appreciate it. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 12:41 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,508,659 times
I'd wager that any area that is rural/populated with small towns has elements of southern culture. I've seen it in places directly north of Orlando like Lake County, but also south in Polk County and Osceola County.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:10 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,451,998 times
You'll find southern culture all throughout the state, including central Florida, where it is really strong actually, and south Florida where it is more in the inland rural areas and from older generations who aren't from northern transplant backgrounds.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:09 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
You'll find southern culture all throughout the state, including central Florida, where it is really strong actually, and south Florida where it is more in the inland rural areas and from older generations who aren't from northern transplant backgrounds.
If you're including Ocala and Debary as Central FL, yes. If Metro Orlando in general, I disagree.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:19 AM

469 posts, read 576,520 times
Lived there for over two decades and I'd say right around Orlandoish was where the Southerness starts to decline. Southeast Florida is known as the "6th borough" for good reason.

Old 05-21-2016, 01:11 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,335,507 times
It's basically anything outside the large metros areas. For example Lake Okeechobee just outside SFL is very southern, so are places just north of SFL such as Ft. Pierce and Vero. Get outside the urban counties and you'll be in the south.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:57 PM

28 posts, read 27,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtraveler View Post
Lived there for over two decades and I'd say right around Orlandoish was where the Southerness starts to decline. Southeast Florida is known as the "6th borough" for good reason.
lol, in southeast florida youll here people talking like new Yorkers, lol.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:50 PM

469 posts, read 576,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnelloct10 View Post
lol, in southeast florida youll here people talking like new Yorkers, lol.

And acting like them. They aren't just in SE Florida, they've started to spread all over the state. I left Florida and haven't looked back. The "NY" attitude/way of life is perfect for some folks, not so much for others. I'm in the latter group. The whole hurry up, materialistic, taking pride in being rude, feeling the need to constantly remind everyone that you're "from NY/NJ", everything was better back home, have to have better things than your neighbor, etc. gig just wasn't for me.

I grew up in a lot of military towns and have known folks from all over the US(and the world), and never in my life have I met a collective group of people who were such arrogant @holes as they were.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:04 AM

66 posts, read 84,647 times
Default What is "Southern Culture"?

My family recently moved to the Clermont area, and I am wondering what is "Southern Culture"?

We actually live outside of Clermont, with some acreage, and the people here are very nice, pleasant, helpful, friendly, waving whenever you go by.

But things are slow, so very slow. The people speak slowly. They drive slowly. They like confederate flags and shooting guns in their backyards and going out wild hog hunting and "muddin". The neighbours talk of Astatula and Leesburg as the towns where girls are married at 13, in comparison to this area, where they can wait until 18 before being too old for marriage (I know they are joking, it's just funny how this area compares itself to the neighbouring towns).

We are the first "Yankees", and the first new neighbours, in almost 2 decades in this neighbourhood! My family is finding it very different here than the western suburbs of Chicago! Is what I am experiencing here, outside of Clermont, considered "Southern Culture"? I don't mind it, it is nice to be around such friendly people, I just wonder if this is what is being spoken of here?

Old 05-22-2016, 07:16 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,508,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miskolci View Post
I don't mind it, it is nice to be around such friendly people, I just wonder if this is what is being spoken of here?
Yes, all of that. Plus a more conservative, traditionalist worldview. These communities almost always go red in election years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando