Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 02:24 PM

3 posts, read 13,661 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I just found this site and I was ecstatic and relieved at the same time. I am a single mom, with a brand new baby girl who is looking to relocate to Florida. I want to find an nice quiet area around Orlando (max 1hr. drive) where I can relocate to. I am convincing my 57 year old mom to come along, but I am worried about the job market.

Can anyone recommend several towns and areas that will better the quality of life for my daughter, mom and I?

I am a college graduate (B.A) and looking for an area where I can potential rent with option to buy an affordable home. I was looking into Brandon, but I hear its a pretty congested town.

I defintely do not want congested. Small town, affordable housing, or gated communities with a relatively short commute to work. is the best

Can anyone recommend such area that will have quality childcare, job availability for both mom and I, affordable homes? Also, crime rate, low sex offenders etc....

I am very confused
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2006, 02:45 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,881,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srdpty View Post
Hello,

I just found this site and I was ecstatic and relieved at the same time. I am a single mom, with a brand new baby girl who is looking to relocate to Florida. I want to find an nice quiet area around Orlando (max 1hr. drive) where I can relocate to. I am convincing my 57 year old mom to come along, but I am worried about the job market.

Can anyone recommend several towns and areas that will better the quality of life for my daughter, mom and I?

I am a college graduate (B.A) and looking for an area where I can potential rent with option to buy an affordable home. I was looking into Brandon, but I hear its a pretty congested town.

I defintely do not want congested. Small town, affordable housing, or gated communities with a relatively short commute to work. is the best

Can anyone recommend such area that will have quality childcare, job availability for both mom and I, affordable homes? Also, crime rate, low sex offenders etc....

I am very confused
What type of work do you do ? That would be a start

Old 11-24-2006, 05:21 PM

12 posts, read 35,425 times
Quote:
Hello,

I am very confused

Do not even think about it. Unless you are ready to work at minimum wage. I believe you want the best education for your daughter, right.

I know you have a college degree, but that does not count in Florida. In Florida, employers do not care about college degrees, they want to know if you want to work at minimum wage and without benefits.
Can you work Gatehouse Security Guard? if you can, you will have plenty of hours at $ 7.50/hr without benefits. if you think you can build a future for your daughter with the minimum wage, Florida is for you.

Bottom line, Moving to Florida is like leaving the U.S. and move to a third world country.

Old 11-24-2006, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
What type of work do you do ? That would be a start
also if you would like to know if sex offenders live in an area you can check at this site. http://offender.fdle.state.fl.us/offender/homepage.do

Old 11-25-2006, 02:04 PM

Thank you for replying:

I am currently caseworker, licensing family day care programs, but I am really tired of non-profit. I am able to work in other areas such as human resources, administrative work, bartending, intervention programming for at risk youth..I have work with adolescents for 10 years and taught middle school and high school foreign language (spanish), unfortunately I am uncertified teacher, since I worked in a Charter School setting.

Old 11-25-2006, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Thank you for replying:

I am currently caseworker, licensing family day care programs, but I am really tired of non-profit. I am able to work in other areas such as human resources, administrative work, bartending, intervention programming for at risk youth..I have work with adolescents for 10 years and taught middle school and high school foreign language (spanish), unfortunately I am uncertified teacher, since I worked in a Charter School setting.
Teachers in some areas have been let go. we have had a drop in enrollment the last year.
administrative might be your best bet. Bartending well you might find something. but you should check out the area first. Sorry not much help
but good luck.

Old 11-25-2006, 07:53 PM

You didn't tell me which towns are good though?

Old 11-26-2006, 11:31 AM

2 posts, read 5,923 times
I to am planning to move to Orlando with my two children. I am also looking for a great place to live and work. If you find anything please let me know

Old 11-26-2006, 12:47 PM

29 posts, read 116,784 times
I live in Winter Springs, FL - Tuscawilla a community that has approx. 4000 homes and is a 'burb' of Orlando - touted to have great schools for Florida. This area is beautiful and safe. Gated communities exist - but you don't need one in this area. I love it here, but plan on moving because the cost of living is high, Hurricanes freak me out, and the heat from May/June to October just gets to me.
Good Luck

Old 01-04-2011, 08:45 AM

309 posts, read 897,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtvice View Post
Do not even think about it. Unless you are ready to work at minimum wage. I believe you want the best education for your daughter, right.

I know you have a college degree, but that does not count in Florida. In Florida, employers do not care about college degrees, they want to know if you want to work at minimum wage and without benefits.
Can you work Gatehouse Security Guard? if you can, you will have plenty of hours at $ 7.50/hr without benefits. if you think you can build a future for your daughter with the minimum wage, Florida is for you.

Bottom line, Moving to Florida is like leaving the U.S. and move to a third world country.
Thanks for all the upbeat comments! You can say the same thing about a lot of cities in the U.S. right now. At least in FL you don't have to put up with 20 inches of snow (NYC) or grand scale stupidity, bad school systems and rampant racisim (Memphis). The weather in FL is good and the beach is close. Here in Memphis we have the Mississippi River and no one dares swim in that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando