Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2016, 04:58 PM

17,139 posts, read 15,341,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I dont worry about the top 5% at all. I never aspired to be in the upper 5% and I am sure they are happy where they are.
This. I just hit 30. We're not top 5% I don't think, but we're both professionals, have a nice family, a nice house, multiple vehicles, kids are in sports... what more could we need? I'm fine where I am. Right now, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 10:26 AM

10 posts, read 9,509 times
really depends on where you want to live. There are some good suburbs of Orlando which are close to attractions etc but more "homey" feel. some places are highly tourists and some not so much. Where is job? That makes a big difference on where you want to be. I'm always available for questions!

Old 06-06-2016, 10:28 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,674,903 times
As what others said, the wages to COL are just awful. Other than that, Orlando has a wonderful healthcare and education system. Florida Hospital and ORMC are great medical providers. Our K12 schools are relatively integrated across racial and income groups. Not to mention the Valencia to UCF pipeline that many take for granted.

If you have marketable skills that give you a wage premium, you will be fine. If not, choose another city.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:07 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
As what others said, the wages to COL are just awful. Other than that, Orlando has a wonderful healthcare and education system. Florida Hospital and ORMC are great medical providers. Our K12 schools are relatively integrated across racial and income groups. Not to mention the Valencia to UCF pipeline that many take for granted.

If you have marketable skills that give you a wage premium, you will be fine. If not, choose another city.

Where can I go with no marketable skills were I would earn a premium wage?

Old 06-06-2016, 12:00 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Maybe legally sell your ass in Nevada?
;-)

Old 06-06-2016, 12:05 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Maybe legally sell your ass in Nevada?
haha

Old 06-06-2016, 01:54 PM

298 posts, read 579,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieGCC View Post
The original poster asked if moving from Chicago to Orlando was a good idea. Not knowing for sure I assumed coming from a very large US City pointed to a possible problem if they wanted to move back one day ... they might become financially left behind. In the DC area it would be an almost certainty to become left behind making to very hard to return if they ever wanted to.

Me personally I would hate to live in Chicago and would relocate to Orlando regardless of the financial impact but I wanted to point out that possibility of being financially trapped since the original poster asked. If they want to stay in FL then there is no problem at all.
Born and raised in Chicagoland, such an awesome, beautiful city. However, the fiscal situation in Chicago and Illinois are really awful. Taxes are high, and their pension liabilities are massively underfunded. A current property tax bill of $13,500 on a $400K home will only go higher. Illinois still doesn't have a budget and vendors go on unpaid. One person went to the Dept of Motor Vehicles recently to renew their license, and the facility was closed because the landlord hadn't received rent payments all year!!

Never say never, but I certainly wouldn't return if those issues are still going on.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:15 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,520,508 times
Orlando is getting the NFL Pro Bowl.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:16 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,416,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Where can I go with no marketable skills were I would earn a premium wage?
What do you mean by "premium wage"? In any case, perhaps check the post office or some county/city job. Flight attendant?

I know you're being facetious but that's for some who might be seriously asking that question.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:22 PM

605 posts, read 711,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
What do you mean by "premium wage"? In any case, perhaps check the post office or some county/city job. Flight attendant?
Spring Hillian has a job - he was asking a rhetorical question only to make the point, there isn't really anywhere you can go with "no marketable skills" and yet earn a premium wage. That doesn't really exist anywhere. It's not something unique to Orlando as many of the people who come here/live here seem to think.

The only job I can think of where you can make decent money with basically no special skill is to be a waiter/waitress in a high end restaurant. Yes it requires skills but not the kind you go to school for. And you have to work your way up to those jobs, starting in lower end restaurants, but those people can make a lot of money. Or maybe a limo driver or something. Anything that's a higher end tipped service position has the potential I think.

Editing to add - I see you realized he wasn't asking seriously... mb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando