Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2016, 05:47 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Not to mention, "pledging allegiance" to Hamas, the Taliban AND ISIS makes absolutely no sense to the informed ear. He pledged allegiance to conflicting factions?
The media/news is constantly spewing out his mention of ISIS in order to remain relevant and keep ratings up, considering ISIS has been in the news for quite a while. Do you think there would be the same response/fear if the media replaced "ISIS" with "Hamas" instead?
Omar Mateen was gay. He was Gay, He was Gay. The Isis think was just a cop out. He wasn't affiliated with that organization. He was a homosexual that had to deal with a religion and parents that didnt get his lifestyle. Omar Mateen has no ties to Isis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 09:02 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeejayDJ View Post
Would you say earning between 40 to 42k is livable in Orlando? Can one afford a safe and clean apartment in Orlando and not be in the crime ridden areas? I have the opportunity to interview for a position that offers that salary range. Currently I make more than this but I understand that salaries do not match with their job titles in Orlando. How much of a percentage cut should one expect? I figure this would give me my foot in the door to make the move to Orlando. The job is a one year contract with extension.
As a single person with no kids, you will be fine with that salary in my opinion.

When it comes to rent, I think it will be tough to find a 1 bedroom apartment in a safe area for $700 to $800. Think more $930+.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:00 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
I could tell you more reason why Orlando is good vs why Orlando is bad. I couldnt tell you why you should or shouldnt move here though.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:55 AM

298 posts, read 579,762 times
Thanks again for the responses to my original post. I just returned from 3 days in Orlando to check it out and explore living areas. Here is my review for any northerners looking to relocate:

Weather:
Puh-leeeez!! I love it! It's just as hot and humid in Chicago except no breezes. I think Chicago hotness is worse actually. Plus the brief rain showers cool things off quickly. It was pretty hot on Saturday, but nothing worse than what I'm used to.

Neighborhoods:
So many great hoods! Thornton Park / Lake Eola is my favorite. Wonderful farmers market yesterday. Baldwin Park very cool as it is mostly new built upon a former naval base (I believe). Nearby Winter Park is awesome. College Park is cool. I went to Celebration too...I appreciate what it is but not my style. I plan on living in or near Thornton Park.

People:
Seeing throngs of people wearing rainbow T-shirts such as #Orlando Strong, 1 World City Family Love Heart Pulse, Orlando United etc., demonstrated the strength of character and largeness of heart. Wonderful!

Traffic:
Really not as bad as I expected. Really, coming from Chicago where each expressway is a personal rung in hell, anything is an improvement.

UFC:
Beautiful campus, very innovative with plans on new downtown campus.

All in all a great city! Can't wait to be a resident in August!

Old 06-20-2016, 11:32 AM

17,198 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adele115 View Post
Thanks again for the responses to my original post. I just returned from 3 days in Orlando to check it out and explore living areas. Here is my review for any northerners looking to relocate:

Weather:
Puh-leeeez!! I love it! It's just as hot and humid in Chicago except no breezes. I think Chicago hotness is worse actually. Plus the brief rain showers cool things off quickly. It was pretty hot on Saturday, but nothing worse than what I'm used to.

Neighborhoods:
So many great hoods! Thornton Park / Lake Eola is my favorite. Wonderful farmers market yesterday. Baldwin Park very cool as it is mostly new built upon a former naval base (I believe). Nearby Winter Park is awesome. College Park is cool. I went to Celebration too...I appreciate what it is but not my style. I plan on living in or near Thornton Park.

People:
Seeing throngs of people wearing rainbow T-shirts such as #Orlando Strong, 1 World City Family Love Heart Pulse, Orlando United etc., demonstrated the strength of character and largeness of heart. Wonderful!

Traffic:
Really not as bad as I expected. Really, coming from Chicago where each expressway is a personal rung in hell, anything is an improvement.

UFC:

Glad you liked it!

Just keep in mind, the main difference with the weather is that here, it's like this for a solid 8 months, unlike the 2-3 months in Chicago. And it doesn't really cool off at nights.

I find the traffic to not be as bad as larger cities in some respect, but what really irks me is the drivers. I can sit calmly in stop-go traffic on a DC expressway without wanting to pull my hair out, as most drivers stay in their lanes, use traffic signals, and drive in a somewhat civil manner. Here, it's a free-for-all speedway of chaotic nonsense, what with lost tourists, boy racers, blind and senile retirees, and locals all joining into the rat race.
And then, while our expressways aren't particularly terrible in terms of traffic, the local highways are pretty terrible. Try coming down the 414 from the West in the morning, or heading back that direction in the afternoon. 414, 436, most of 50, 434 near I4/Markham...

That said, it's a pretty nice city. I like it here.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:49 PM

457 posts, read 627,308 times
Quote:

Weather:

Neighborhoods:

People:

Traffic:

UFC:

I'm glad you had a great time and you're right about chicago's traffic being worse. People in Orlando seem to think that it's some kind of crime against humanity if their commute is over 20-30 minutes, so take all traffic complaints with a grain of salt.

You're wrong about the weather. Our summers are much, much harder to endure than those in Chicago. Hotter, more oppressive humidity. I go north each August or September just for a break.

I'm not trying to dissuade you, but to prepare you. And it rains...a LOT more. In the summer. The rain rarely cools anything off. It's just more humid when it's done raining. Nothing cools is off until winter. Winters are lovely. Sometimes cold, but not like up north. If it's around freezing for a week, everyone will be talking about it.

And as much as you think 32 degrees could never bother you because you're a hardy Midwesterner who is used to it...give it five years. You'll be complaining about 40 degrees, too. You change. Your tolerance for cold changes.

If you don't know what "reclaimed water" is, google it and begin getting comfortable with the idea. You get used to it.

And start boning up on hurricane tracking. We are all amateur meteorologists, lol.

-Don't go barefoot.
-Don't feed the gators (or any wildlife)
-Don't flick cigarette ashes out the window in the winter.

Hope you love it as much as so many people do.

Last edited by LuvOrlando; 06-22-2016 at 09:41 PM..

Old 06-23-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvOrlando View Post
I'm glad you had a great time and you're right about chicago's traffic being worse. People in Orlando seem to think that it's some kind of crime against humanity if their commute is over 20-30 minutes, so take all traffic complaints with a grain of salt.

You're wrong about the weather. Our summers are much, much harder to endure than those in Chicago. Hotter, more oppressive humidity. I go north each August or September just for a break.

I'm not trying to dissuade you, but to prepare you. And it rains...a LOT more. In the summer. The rain rarely cools anything off. It's just more humid when it's done raining. Nothing cools is off until winter. Winters are lovely. Sometimes cold, but not like up north. If it's around freezing for a week, everyone will be talking about it.

And as much as you think 32 degrees could never bother you because you're a hardy Midwesterner who is used to it...give it five years. You'll be complaining about 40 degrees, too. You change. Your tolerance for cold changes.

If you don't know what "reclaimed water" is, google it and begin getting comfortable with the idea. You get used to it.

And start boning up on hurricane tracking. We are all amateur meteorologists, lol.

-Don't go barefoot.
-Don't feed the gators (or any wildlife)
-Don't flick cigarette ashes out the window in the winter.

Hope you love it as much as so many people do.
Thanks, yes, I can imagine too much of any extreme becomes oppressive so I will anticipate tiring of hot days after a while. But for now, the idea of not having truly cold weather ever again rings my bell!

Old 06-23-2016, 08:12 AM

22 posts, read 21,223 times
Quote:
Thanks, yes, I can imagine too much of any extreme becomes oppressive so I will anticipate tiring of hot days after a while. But for now, the idea of not having truly cold weather ever again rings my bell!
Having moved here last August I can totally relate. We've been warned that our blood will thin and the mild winter will seem cold to us before long. There's a big difference between being cold and bone chilling deep freezer cold, I'll take this anyday

Old 06-23-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuck16 View Post
Having moved here last August I can totally relate. We've been warned that our blood will thin and the mild winter will seem cold to us before long. There's a big difference between being cold and bone chilling deep freezer cold, I'll take this anyday
That is what I anticipate too Having survived several "snow-pocolypses" where after 20 days of sub zero temps 10 degrees feels warm, heat sounds good.

I'm sorting through the parkas and snow shoes and wooly mammoth sweaters this weekend. ...

Old 06-23-2016, 02:38 PM

261 posts, read 501,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamouse View Post
Lots of folks feel like that, but others of us feel like a 45 min drive isn't a big deal to get to the beach and we have some moderate protection from the biggest brunt of hurricanes being inland. As for breezes, we get plenty of breezes here - Florida is relatively narrow and the breezes from both the Atlantic side and the Gulf side make it here. Not the same as when you're actually standing on the beach, but how many people actually live right on the beach even if you do live in a coastal city.

Also, there are thousands upon thousands of lakes, so it's not "land locked" like you think. We live in a community on a lake and we can boat, fish, tube, kayak, etc. We caught 6.5 lb bass in our back yard a couple weeks ago. No, it's not the ocean, but it's still large bodies of water with water sports.

For us, we feel like we have the best of all worlds, as we like much more than just beaches and there is certainly a lot more to do here in Central Florida than there is in any of the beach towns.

But that's why it's a free country and everyone gets to go where they are happy!
Good point about hurricanes.

We get a lot of breezes in Indiana too, but they aren't ocean breezes. Orlando is certainly too far from the beach to get any sort of "beach breeze" where you can feel the ocean in the air.

When I mean "landlocked", I'm obviously referring to an ocean. A lake is in no way shape or form the same thing as an ocean. That's not to say that lakes aren't nice, but they aren't oceans. By Florida terms, Orlando is absolutely landlocked.

Yes, obviously anyone in Orlando can make a quick day trip to the beach, no doubt about that. But Orlando is simply not a coastal city. I'm not saying it's a bad place - it has weather, palm trees, Disney, Universal, golf, and a ton of outdoor activities. It's a very nice place and I have nothing against it. I'm just saying that for me personally, if I was making a cross country move to Florida, I'm going to a coastal city where the beach is just a stone's throw away and you can feel the ocean there. But you're right, it's all personal preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando