Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 02:33 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adele115 View Post
Other than the "right to work" issue which I assume to be factually true but don't really know, I disagree with this "sunshine only positive" summation.

I don't know about K-12 spending, but UCF has been going bonkers in terms of elevating it's status as a Level 1 research institution. It has been tied (I believe) as the top performing university in Florida for the past few years. The new downtown campus at what will be creative village will be a huge investment in the community and in higher ed. When compared to other states that continue to gut higher education (check out Wisconsin) central FL should be proud.
It really is a "right to work" state as you cant be forced to join a union in a "union shop" as a prerequisite to get a job.

For school info...

Florida Department Of Education

School Accountability Report
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 10:17 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,364,503 times
Quote:
Other than the "right to work" issue which I assume to be factually true but don't really know, I disagree with this "sunshine only positive" summation.

I don't know about K-12 spending, but UCF has been going bonkers in terms of elevating it's status as a Level 1 research institution. It has been tied (I believe) as the top performing university in Florida for the past few years. The new downtown campus at what will be creative village will be a huge investment in the community and in higher ed. When compared to other states that continue to gut higher education (check out Wisconsin) central FL should be proud.
I agree that Central Florida and UCF are making great strides in higher education, but I wouldn't underestimate Wisconsin universities either. Marquette and UW-M are both top universities and up there with our best Florida universities.

Old 07-12-2016, 03:06 PM

298 posts, read 579,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
I agree that Central Florida and UCF are making great strides in higher education, but I wouldn't underestimate Wisconsin universities either. Marquette and UW-M are both top universities and up there with our best Florida universities.
I don't underestimate anything. I know Wisconsin universities well. My point was that draconian budget cuts to higher ed have undermined the mission, quality and development of the system. Quite in contrast to what is happening with UCF. UCF things are booming, Wisconsin morale is low and Madison has spent $$$ trying to retain top professors who are being poached by other states with better salaries and funding.

Here's a city data thread that gets at it:

Walker's proposed cuts to UW System

Old 07-12-2016, 03:07 PM

298 posts, read 579,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
Also, Marquette is private - yes a great school, but I"m talking about public higher ed.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:58 AM

91 posts, read 103,150 times
Quote:
I"m interested in any downsides or less apparent "problems" of Orlando?? I have well paying job offer in hand, I can't see any reason not to move to Orlando. Moving from Chicago so I can already deal with traffic and crime and taxes.

If you're already used to traffic and crime, you'll be fine moving to Orlando.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:42 PM

9 posts, read 8,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I'd also point out that most desirable cities have high transient rates. I don't have any stats, but I moved from San Francisco, which seemed like 50% plus of the people I met recently moved and I would say 75% of the friends I made their moved during my time living there. The neighborhood I live in Orlando has mostly people who have lived here for a very long time, but then again, this might be a unique case because the neighborhood in Dr. Phillips I live in is very small, has no hoa, and giant lots, so it's a rare find to have country living in the heart of Dr. Phillips.

We are moving from Palo Alto to Orlando. It absolutely sucks here, a rental in a good neighborhood with good schools is easily 4k a month. Rents are as high as mortgages for $1m + homes so it's virtually impossible to save for your 20% down payment. I make 198k a year in Palo Alto and that is a house poor salary. You buy a home and you have no money for the other things in life. We are absolutely happy to get out of the rat race and head to Orlando.

Old 07-23-2016, 05:17 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfaholic View Post
We are moving from Palo Alto to Orlando. It absolutely sucks here, a rental in a good neighborhood with good schools is easily 4k a month. Rents are as high as mortgages for $1m + homes so it's virtually impossible to save for your 20% down payment. I make 198k a year in Palo Alto and that is a house poor salary. You buy a home and you have no money for the other things in life. We are absolutely happy to get out of the rat race and head to Orlando.
Yup. If you can keep the same salary and move here, it'll be like night and day. $200k should get you into a nice house in a decent area to own lol

Old 10-29-2016, 06:14 PM

60 posts, read 70,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
I have a couple of friends who are from major cities who say this about Orlando and it is complete bull. They, nor I believe you, have never lived in an actual small town before. Yes, compared to Chicago, Miami, etc., Orlando may feel "like" a small town, but if I were to drop them off in one and leave them there for a few days, they would change their language about Orlando and comparably sized metros immediately.

Try living in a town where the biggest or practically only shopping center is Walmart and it's usual neighbors. Fast food is just McDonalds, Burger King, Subway, and Wendy's type places. Only one non-Walmart grocery store. If you want better stores that many consider "everyone has these" kind of stores that we take for granted like JC Penny, Chick-Fil-A, Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Whole Foods, Target, a grocer that is not Walmart, be ready to spent 1-3 hours in a car getting there. I only mentioned shopping and food, but there are lots of things here that we take for granted that people in real small towns don't have access to at all.
Been there done that. Last small town had a population of 847 and the nearest store was a Wal-Mart in the next town. Spent 3 years there. But you know, assuming nobody else actually knows as much as you, nevermind more, is another way to go approach things...

Old 10-30-2016, 08:41 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberwulu View Post
Been there done that. Last small town had a population of 847 and the nearest store was a Wal-Mart in the next town. Spent 3 years there. But you know, assuming nobody else actually knows as much as you, nevermind more, is another way to go approach things...

Great. Then you should know that while Orlando is not NYC/CHI/LA/ATL/MIA, etc., it's not XYZ, Mississippi either.

Old 11-19-2016, 04:37 PM

60 posts, read 70,668 times
Reading comprehension. Not everyone's strong suit I see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando