U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Orlando friends moving away again; Opinions on Orlando being transient area, wifeís friendís moving away for third time, cost of living, low wage jobs

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 03:35 PM

53 posts, read 41,840 times

Advertisements

hi guys,

i wanted to see if anyone has had this problem... well, not really a "problem" and it's more of my wife's situation than mine, but here it is...

my wife, when she meets ppl at work and becomes friends with them, after a few months or more they move away. this has happened like 3 times now

one moved out west and the other two moved further north. so my wife meets new friend, they hang out, talk/email, etc... then she moves away. and then this repeats itself about 3 times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 07:34 PM

1,377 posts, read 3,656,117 times
Its been that way for the 10 years I've been here, it will never change because the jobs here suck.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:43 PM

53 posts, read 41,840 times
She meets and later, if become friends at work, they may decide to hang out outside of work... my wife has made friends with a few ppl, one in particular that she was hanging out with and saw herself becoming pretty good friends with, and then, they head out west or for the hills. then another friend... and now another one, moving to georgia. it seems like ppl are just leaving orlando, and sure, ppl are moving here so it's not like orlando is losing population, but a lot of the ppl moving away are the ppl that are usually good ppl, just want a better quality of life. those ppl seem to be moving away, and it's too bad.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:51 PM

765 posts, read 2,335,662 times
This has always been a transcient type area. People move in and out all the time. Very few people set roots here. My family is the exception. My parents have been here since 1969.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:48 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,239,110 times
Thats why I`m choosy who I am friends with. I mostly hang with family, most of my neighborhood are born here or have been here a long time not much problems with people leaving.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:59 AM

238 posts, read 549,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Its been that way for the 10 years I've been here, it will never change because the jobs here suck.
I agree. Even 15 years ago I had a professional couple living next to me (one was an accountant... I forgot what the other was), but they said they've never seen so many people that work 2 or 3 part-time jobs, not being able to find full time work, and having it tough making ends meet.

And in their professional field, they said they were making ALMOST half of what they made up north in their profession but that the other expenses down here were comparable to up north. (I think they were from PA, not sure)

Also they also didn't like how cheaply their condo was made compared to building specs up north and couldn't believe how expensive it was for how cheaply it was put together.

Anyway, they didn't stay long.

I've met 2 people that I felt a kinship with and one moved back to MS and the other is moving to AR in the next 6 months.

When I moved back up north for a bit, I still had my friends from when I lived there years ago, and we'd get together at least twice a month. There's more of a community feel, more bonding, and interaction in places where people aren't scrambling to make a buck, or working odd shifts in the tourist catering industry. People have some time to have the goal to enjoy the company of other people rather than focus every minute how how much money they need to make to pay their bills, buy what they need, etc.

Down here, it's like a certain type of people move here, and then like a jumping bean, bounce right back out. It IS sad, because the people that aren't staying are the kind of people I'd like to hang with, do cookouts, whatever, if I had time and money.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojow View Post
I agree. Even 15 years ago I had a professional couple living next to me (one was an accountant... I forgot what the other was), but they said they've never seen so many people that work 2 or 3 part-time jobs, not being able to find full time work, and having it tough making ends meet.

And in their professional field, they said they were making ALMOST half of what they made up north in their profession but that the other expenses down here were comparable to up north. (I think they were from PA, not sure)

Also they also didn't like how cheaply their condo was made compared to building specs up north and couldn't believe how expensive it was for how cheaply it was put together.

Anyway, they didn't stay long.

I've met 2 people that I felt a kinship with and one moved back to MS and the other is moving to AR in the next 6 months.

When I moved back up north for a bit, I still had my friends from when I lived there years ago, and we'd get together at least twice a month. There's more of a community feel, more bonding, and interaction in places where people aren't scrambling to make a buck, or working odd shifts in the tourist catering industry. People have some time to have the goal to enjoy the company of other people rather than focus every minute how how much money they need to make to pay their bills, buy what they need, etc.

Down here, it's like a certain type of people move here, and then like a jumping bean, bounce right back out. It IS sad, because the people that aren't staying are the kind of people I'd like to hang with, do cookouts, whatever, if I had time and money.

And that's the major downfall of this city, without stability there is nothing. If you have strong roots you have more of a hometown feel to it. Most business owners know this and they take advantage by offering low salaries.

Personally I have brought millions of dollars in revenue through sales of timeshare and car rental and even with all that influx of money the wages still suck. You might not believe me but I don't care, my point is the businesses are getting extremely wealthy here and they all claim that their not, which is bull****. All the commission based jobs here are always changing their payout structure also, which breeds very crooked salespeople and alot of people who will stab you in the back. Its a shame because it seems like they WANT you to NOT succeed here.

Even if you want a decent shift to work you will have to put in a few years into a place that you may not want to stay for awhile. Its a shame too because the people who do a good job and try their best are left out in the dust and the employers don't care whether they have good employees or not. So the cycle continues and it will always be that way here, that's why people leave here from what I've experienced. I'll be moving very soon myself and I can't wait to get out of this slavepit.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
And that's the major downfall of this city, without stability there is nothing. If you have strong roots you have more of a hometown feel to it. Most business owners know this and they take advantage by offering low salaries.

Personally I have brought millions of dollars in revenue through sales of timeshare and car rental and even with all that influx of money the wages still suck. You might not believe me but I don't care, my point is the businesses are getting extremely wealthy here and they all claim that their not, which is bull****. All the commission based jobs here are always changing their payout structure also, which breeds very crooked salespeople and alot of people who will stab you in the back. Its a shame because it seems like they WANT you to NOT succeed here.

Even if you want a decent shift to work you will have to put in a few years into a place that you may not want to stay for awhile. Its a shame too because the people who do a good job and try their best are left out in the dust and the employers don't care whether they have good employees or not. So the cycle continues and it will always be that way here, that's why people leave here from what I've experienced. I'll be moving very soon myself and I can't wait to get out of this slavepit.
Ditto on everything you said. My son's 20 and will be going to the police academy, and he likes it here. But he doesn't know any better, because he's not in charge of paying all the bills. I've tried to talk him into trying out other states, but so far, he's not willing.

I've decided on a 5 year plan to move, because by then he'll be set in whatever he's going to do and will be on his own. I hope in 5 years he'll change his mind because I really don't want to live far from him, but I know that I can't stay here. They mow the trees down, lay down concrete, making this state even hotter, and then they make all these homes for people to live in, but the employers don't pay you enough to live in one, and while they're putting up new homes and strip malls and chain restaurants, they are taking forever to widen streets to support the traffic to and from these new developments.

(I like that phrase "stepford homes". They do all look alike after a while.)

Old 02-17-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojow View Post
Ditto on everything you said. My son's 20 and will be going to the police academy, and he likes it here. But he doesn't know any better, because he's not in charge of paying all the bills. I've tried to talk him into trying out other states, but so far, he's not willing.

I've decided on a 5 year plan to move, because by then he'll be set in whatever he's going to do and will be on his own. I hope in 5 years he'll change his mind because I really don't want to live far from him, but I know that I can't stay here. They mow the trees down, lay down concrete, making this state even hotter, and then they make all these homes for people to live in, but the employers don't pay you enough to live in one, and while they're putting up new homes and strip malls and chain restaurants, they are taking forever to widen streets to support the traffic to and from these new developments.

(I like that phrase "stepford homes". They do all look alike after a while.)

Haha! Yeah those homes are ugly, they look the same and they look like their made of cardboard. Mine was made in the late 80's and its very well built but the insulation could be better. I wish you the best of luck, I hope your plan to move works. I've almost come to the point where I've given up everything to move out of here. I don't care if I have to start over.

That's just my experience, though. I'm sure alot of people live in worse areas and would find Orlando a great area to live. After I found out how this city ticks though I only see it going south especially with tourism as the the main economy here. All it takes is another terrorist attack or something major to happen in the markets and people won't take vacation as much. No vacation, no revenue for Orlando.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Haha! Yeah those homes are ugly, they look the same and they look like their made of cardboard. Mine was made in the late 80's and its very well built but the insulation could be better. I wish you the best of luck, I hope your plan to move works. I've almost come to the point where I've given up everything to move out of here. I don't care if I have to start over.

That's just my experience, though. I'm sure alot of people live in worse areas and would find Orlando a great area to live. After I found out how this city ticks though I only see it going south especially with tourism as the the main economy here. All it takes is another terrorist attack or something major to happen in the markets and people won't take vacation as much. No vacation, no revenue for Orlando.
Good point! I remember how much of a hit we took in loss of revenue after 9/11. If I remember right it took a couple years to bounce back.

Yeah, me too.... starting over wouldn't be that bad though because there'd be progression. Unlike down here where you feel like you're spinning wheels and getting nowhere.

Home Owners Associations.... My son was at a friend's house house and he spent the night and had nowhere to park so he parked across the street (not in front of any houses, evidently it was an empty lot or land not developed yet right next to his friend's house), and anyway, he got towed.

So we went to pick up the car the next day ($110.00), and the attendent got to talking about his situation. He's from NY and said that if things don't change in 6 mo's, he's moving back up. He said he got paid $30 an hour in NY to drive a dump truck and down here for the same job, they want to pay him 12 or 13 an hour.

Also up north he was in the union, and if the job they sent him on for the day happened to be union, his boss had to put an extra 195 into one of his benefits package. He said that he always had an emergency savings amount of about $3,000 to $5,000 but that down here he doesn't make enough to save a dime.

He's glad he didn't buy a home down here and as far as HOA's go, they don't have them where he's from. You own your home, and don't have a HOA making all these nit picky rules for you, telling you what you can do on your property.

He said women would come in crying because they rent a home with 2 or 3 other people and have more than 2 cars but the HOA only allows 2 cars in the drive way, and there they are, picking up their towed vehicle, crying because they don't make enough money as it is, that's why they have to have 3 roommates, and then to have to spit out an extra 100 bucks to pick up a towed car...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando