Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 04:51 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times

Advertisements

They need to stop gator feeding because it is a law and the law was created to keep gators from associating people with food.

I wouldnt go as far as saying that every alligator will attack a human but feeding any wild animal changes its instincts about us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvOrlando View Post
For those of you who like common sense (or logic) come to a common sense conclusion here...

1. Gators who have been fed attack people.
2. Alligators are fed by customers at Disney World
3. (Conclusion)

Number three...common sense...the gators at Disney World will attack people.

What can be done about this? Well, we cannot change number one. The gators aren't very receptive to our explanations about why we'd prefer to not be attacked.

So, it would appear that we must change number two.

DON'T FEED THE GATORS. At all. Ever.

Have to stop the gator-feeding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 05:13 PM

457 posts, read 627,217 times
We don't have to stop the gators from being fed because feeding them is illegal. It's illegal to drive over the speed limit and I'm fine with people breaking that law.

We need to stop people from feeding the gators because when they're fed, they ATTACK. That is the reason for the law.

http://myfwc.com/media/310176/Alligator-BiteFacts.pdf.
Quote:
Most alligators are naturally afraid of humans, but may lose that fear when people feed them. Feeding alligators actually teaches them to associate people with food. For that reason, it is illegal to feed wild alligators.

According to Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission biologists, alligators seldom bite people for reasons other than food. Female alligators may protect their nests by hissing and opening their mouths to frighten intruders, but are seldom a threat to people.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/16/us/air...disney-gators/

Quote:
"Feed it once, and he'll associate all humans with food," he said, before again translating, "One of them fed me before, one of them will feed me now."

Tourists need to understand this, he said. You might feed an alligator and go home thinking everything is OK. Nothing happened. Everything was fine.

But, Vuncannon admonished, "You have changed that alligator's mindset."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...to-jack-hanna/
Quote:
Never feed an alligator. Ever. “The minute you start feeding gators as a person, then you’re asking for a big problem — beyond the loss of life,” he told Fox News. “You cannot feed these gators.”
Don't feed the gators! It changes them.

For people who cry a lot about common sense, one would think you'd use some here, once you've been informed that gator-feeding changes the gators.

Disney MUST stop people from feeding the gators. If they don't, this will happen again. And again. And again.

DON'T FEED THE DAMN GATORS!

Last edited by LuvOrlando; 07-03-2016 at 06:03 PM..

Old 07-03-2016, 05:20 PM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
They need to stop gator feeding because it is a law and the law was created to keep gators from associating people with food.

I wouldnt go as far as saying that every alligator will attack a human but feeding any wild animal changes its instincts about us.
This.

I saw a juvenile bird (looks like a dove of some sort) waltzing around on our driveway yesterday. My cat was intrigued and approached it. I moved the cat away. The bird went into the bushes. Part of me wanted to take it and feed it and keep it safe, but then, nature plays its course. If it's meant to stay alive, it will survive. Its parents have to be nearby, and it looks to be borderline flight-capable. Birds feed and protect their yound\g until they can fly. If I force it to interact with me directly, it will be detrimental to its growth and future as a wild bird, and the parents may even get complacent with their future babies, assuming that we'll care for them. So I leave it alone, all while making sure my cat doesn't mess with it.

Old 07-03-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
This.

I saw a juvenile bird (looks like a dove of some sort) waltzing around on our driveway yesterday. My cat was intrigued and approached it. I moved the cat away. The bird went into the bushes. Part of me wanted to take it and feed it and keep it safe, but then, nature plays its course. If it's meant to stay alive, it will survive. Its parents have to be nearby, and it looks to be borderline flight-capable. Birds feed and protect their yound\g until they can fly. If I force it to interact with me directly, it will be detrimental to its growth and future as a wild bird, and the parents may even get complacent with their future babies, assuming that we'll care for them. So I leave it alone, all while making sure my cat doesn't mess with it.
When you find a wounded baby bird, try to find the nest. It should be close by. Place the baby bird at the base of the structure with the nest. If you can, don't pick it up with your hands, but with something that doesn't smell of human or other animal.

If placed at the base of the structure, the mama bird is much more likely to attend to the baby bird.

And NEVER, EVER FEED A GATOR. We shouldn't feed any wildlife, but feeding wildlife that will kill us is wildly dangerous.

Old 07-04-2016, 03:50 PM

113 posts, read 182,304 times
Default LuvOrlando is exactly right/

Quote:
Feeding gators doesn't contribute to the problem. It causes the problem.

Gator attacks are freaking rare occurrences. It can happen, but it's highly unlikely. So very rare.

Gators attack when they've been fed. That's extremely common. This was no freak accident. It's an entirely predictable and avoidable occurrence. Gators who are fed start attacking.

The odds of this gator attacking this child if it hadn't been fed are ridiculously slim. Someone fed that gator. That's why it attacked the kid.

If they continue to turn a blind eye to gator feeding, more people will die.

Everyone knows this in Florida - you can't feed the damn gators. If you do, they start attacking.

Disney knew it. They KNEW that feeding gators turns them into gators that attack people. They KNEW their customers were feeding the gators.

They could've stopped it. They chose not to. They removed the signs warning people of gators and then let their customers feed gators.

That kid is dead and his family has to carry the memory of how he died. None of that can be undone.

They can stop the gator feeding now, though. They can prevent the next attack by killing off a bunch and stopping the feeding.

They better do it. If they don't care about dead kids and grieving families, they had better remember the bottom line.

One or two more deaths and people will stop going there.

You cannot be too cautious when it comes to feeding gators.
Now we find out there were two gators. This almost proves LuvOrlando's point all by itself. Those had to be human fed alligators. This means there were likely several lurking around that area looking for food. Normally alligators seek other wildlife that avoids humans which ends up taking alligators away from people.

The whole gator eco system of the lake was changed when people started feeding gators from the bungalows.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieGCC View Post
Now we find out there were two gators. This almost proves LuvOrlando's point all by itself. Those had to be human fed alligators. This means there were likely several lurking around that area looking for food. Normally alligators seek other wildlife that avoids humans which ends up taking alligators away from people.

The whole gator eco system of the lake was changed when people started feeding gators from the bungalows.
They were fed.

I'm disappointed in and a little angry at the Disney company and staff. Not everyone understands that a fed gator is an attack gator (as evidenced in this thread), but Disney staff knew it.

They KNEW it would turn the gators into attack gators. They KNEW kids were all over the place. They KNEW this would happen and they continued to turn a blind eye. What the hell is wrong with them?

"We cannot control the behavior of our guests." It's their standard response to everything they screw up.

They better freaking start controlling. They do it at the animal hotel.

Kill off a bunch of gators and stop the feeding. It's the only way to keep people safe.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:31 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
Quote:

Kill off a bunch of gators and stop the feeding. It's the only way to keep people safe.

People will never be completely safe against the threat of vicious reptiles.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:36 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
They were fed.

I'm disappointed in and a little angry at the Disney company and staff. Not everyone understands that a fed gator is an attack gator (as evidenced in this thread), but Disney staff knew it.

They KNEW it would turn the gators into attack gators. They KNEW kids were all over the place. They KNEW this would happen and they continued to turn a blind eye. What the hell is wrong with them?

"We cannot control the behavior of our guests." It's their standard response to everything they screw up.

They better freaking start controlling. They do it at the animal hotel.

You are so sure in every post that these 2 gators were fed. Did you feed them? Did you see anyone feed them? Did you report them?

I am not angry with Disney at all. Don't own stock or anythin to worry about. It could have happened anywhere in Florida, just like you could get bit by a rattle snake at the rand Canyon etc.

Now that the story of 2 gators attacking makes me question the story and all your speculations that you keep venting here more and more. How does a child's body remain intact with 2 gators attacking. Ggastors don't run in packs so I find it hard to believe a 2nd one moved in to help the first one? The child drowned. Typical of what happens in a gator attavk but usually there are cuts, teeth marks, chunks or limbs in an attack. So far autopsy released has not mentioned any of this. My question is....could the father even hav e been feeding the gator himself and he was attact instead and the child went under and drowned while he was busy with the gator he had been feeding? Just more speculation with no basis of truth just like all the rants on here.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:37 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,625 times
I seriously doubt that there were two gators. They are not pack hunters. In the panic of the situation, it probably seemed like there were two of them. Similarly, some of the survivors from the Pulse massacre reported two shooters. There is nothing to indicate that as being accurate.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
You are so sure in every post that these 2 gators were fed. Did you feed them? Did you see anyone feed them? Did you report them?

I am not angry with Disney at all. Don't own stock or anythin to worry about. It could have happened anywhere in Florida, just like you could get bit by a rattle snake at the rand Canyon etc.

Now that the story of 2 gators attacking makes me question the story and all your speculations that you keep venting here more and more. How does a child's body remain intact with 2 gators attacking. Ggastors don't run in packs so I find it hard to believe a 2nd one moved in to help the first one? The child drowned. Typical of what happens in a gator attavk but usually there are cuts, teeth marks, chunks or limbs in an attack. So far autopsy released has not mentioned any of this. My question is....could the father even hav e been feeding the gator himself and he was attact instead and the child went under and drowned while he was busy with the gator he had been feeding? Just more speculation with no basis of truth just like all the rants on here.
Gators do group up sometimes. They absolutely run in twos during mating season.

They don't just attack to eat that moment. They frequently store their prey.

The child didn't drown on his own. Gators death-roll their prey. That little boy was death-rolled and stored away to eat later. For most of us, the second we heard that a gator grabbed a child, we knew he was either death-rolled and eaten or death-rolled and stored. Anyone who knows the littlest bit about gators knew that.

This wouldn't happen anywhere in Florida because we don't feed the gators and gator attacks when they aren't fed are almost unheard of. That's why we can all live together. They're afraid of us until we feed them, so we don't. They stay afraid, we let them hang out, everything is groovy.

I am not angry at Disney because I own stock. It's not a money issue for me. I am angry because a little boy died. He died a terrible death. His family has to carry the memory of it. Disney will pay them off, if they can, but no amount of money can undo any of it.

...and Disney knew it was just a matter of time. They could've prevented it by stopping their customers from feeding the gators. They chose not to do anything. I am baffled as to why they didn't do anything because it will affect their money...especially if it happens again!...but they knew people were feeding gators and they didn't stop it.

I don't grieve that little boy. I didn't know him or his family. However, I can still be disappointed (and a little angry) that people who knew better allowed it to happen. It's a heart-breaking story until you find out that Disney was letting people FEED GATORS. Then the anger kicks in. They knew better. EVERYONE knows that fed gators attack people.

It's not a financial thing, it's a human thing.

If they don't want it to happen again, they must kill off a bunch and STOP FEEDING THE GATORS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando