Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2016, 06:34 AM

57 posts, read 142,660 times

Advertisements

I have a great job opportunity in Kissimmee, so my wife and I are starting to look at potential living options. If we do make the move my wife would be working close to downtown Orlando. The goal for a location would be that neither of us has to drive more than 30-40mins to work. We've been to the area before and I have family that lives in Windermere, but I don't know the area well enough to pinpoint neighborhoods. We are just looking for a nice community that's close to amenities, low crime, trying to stay under $250k, no kids.

Some areas I've found are Lake Hart, Lake Nona, Hunters Creek and Meadow Woods.

Any help or advice is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 06:56 AM

17,141 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Lake Nona or Celebration.
Although the commute into downtown from Celebration is going to be hell.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Lake Nona or Celebration.
Although the commute into downtown from Celebration is going to be hell.
My concern with Celebration is the proximity to Disney World. I'm not sure I would want to be that close to all of the tourism.

Does anyone make the commute from Windermere to Kissimmee? I've heard that it isn't too bad if you take the 429, but regardless of which way you take it seems like a pretty lengthy commute to me.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:59 AM

17,141 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohawks3 View Post
My concern with Celebration is the proximity to Disney World. I'm not sure I would want to be that close to all of the tourism.

Does anyone make the commute from Windermere to Kissimmee? I've heard that it isn't too bad if you take the 429, but regardless of which way you take it seems like a pretty lengthy commute to me.
And your concern is a valid point, as you will not only be facing the rush-hour traffic in and out of downtown via I4, but also the chaos that comes with the influx of tourists.

As for Windermere, It's a lengthy commute for sure. I'd suggest the Turnpike all the way down. Give yourself AT LEAST 40 minutes one-way.

I would try to stay in an area close to both, the 417 and the 408 (or 528). The 417 will give you rapid access to Kissimmee, while the 408 is a one-shot drive into downtown.

Lake Nona might be your best option. Avalon Park and Hunter's Creek might also be worth a glance.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:29 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Dr Phillips is pretty much in the middle and is a good area with restaurants, schools, bars etc

Old 06-20-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Dr Phillips is pretty much in the middle and is a good area with restaurants, schools, bars etc
I was in Dr. Phillips last year and I really liked it. I've heard it is a very expensive place to live so I haven't checked out that area yet.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:46 AM

168 posts, read 267,562 times
I used to live in Hunters Creek and commuted to my job at UCF, it was a solid 30 minutes door to door on 417 as long as there were no accidents/closures. If 417 was closed the commute became closer to an hour having to take Orange Ave and Michigan or other routes through Orlando proper...the other issue is the tolls on 417 they can really add up. In 2006 my daily toll was $5, cant imagine what it is now.

Unlikely you'll find something in Dr. Phillips for under $250K, you might find something in Hunters Creek that needs some work, for sure you can find some condos under that price. In Celebration you will only find condos under $250K and most likely no more than a 2 bed, 2 bath.

As others have said, the commute to downtown would be hellish from Celebration, not great from anywhere in South Orlando since all of the North/South routes get pretty jammed up. Best option is to try and travel at an "off peak" time and in IMHO stay off of I-4.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:51 AM

91 posts, read 103,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohawks3 View Post
I have a great job opportunity in Kissimmee, so my wife and I are starting to look at potential living options. If we do make the move my wife would be working close to downtown Orlando. The goal for a location would be that neither of us has to drive more than 30-40mins to work. We've been to the area before and I have family that lives in Windermere, but I don't know the area well enough to pinpoint neighborhoods. We are just looking for a nice community that's close to amenities, low crime, trying to stay under $250k, no kids.

Some areas I've found are Lake Hart, Lake Nona, Hunters Creek and Meadow Woods.

Any help or advice is much appreciated!

Try not to live in Osceola County if you can. In south Orlando, Hunter's Creek is an excellent choice and an easy commute to most parts of Kissimmee. Windermere is a fantastic community but quite expensive. Celebrities live there as there are plenty of million dollar homes, so 250K wont go very far in that area. Plus, with traffic not the best commute into Kissimmee. Lake Nona is also an excellent community, a bit expensive but worth it. Meadow Woods is less expensive than Hunter's Creek and right next to it, but I'd rather live in HC, it's just more upscale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando