Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2016, 02:12 AM

1 posts, read 6,075 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and I are ETS'ing from Alaska to Orlando in January, I've never even lived in Florida, let alone Orlando and neither has he, well need to find a place within a few weeks to a month so I thought I'd ask what areas are good to live in ie. Low crime, good schools and where to avoid. We're looking to rent a apartment so any complexes that look good on the internet but are actully sketchy please warn me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 07:29 AM

17,195 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Do you know what part of Orlando you will be working in? Metro Orlando is very vast. There are pockets of good and bad throughout. The most consistently "good" area would be most of Seminole County. Orange County has the most "bad" areas, mainly West of I-4 (Parramore, Pine Hills, Metrowest.)

If Seminole County is an option, there are numerous nice apartments in West Sanford/Lake Mary.
Altamonte Springs/Casselberry have a fair share as well, but I wouldn't consider them to be as nice, although they definitely aren't bad either.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:11 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
I spent half my life in Anchorage and Wasilla, where in Alaska are you?

I would avoid apartment complexes becauae some look beautiful, but have issues within them. I would look to rent a condo or townhome or house from an individual.

Look into...

Dr Phillips
Lake Mary
Oviedo
Windermere (Olympia High School)
Lake Nona
Winter Park

My favorites out of these are Dr Phillips and Winter Park, but they are also pricey for Orlando standards. It also matters where you'll be working, so the places above are spread out in different parts of Orlando.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:38 PM

29 posts, read 36,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I spent half my life in Anchorage and Wasilla, where in Alaska are you?

I would avoid apartment complexes becauae some look beautiful, but have issues within them. I would look to rent a condo or townhome or house from an individual.

Look into...

Dr Phillips
Lake Mary
Oviedo
Windermere (Olympia High School)
Lake Nona
Winter Park

My favorites out of these are Dr Phillips and Winter Park, but they are also pricey for Orlando standards. It also matters where you'll be working, so the places above are spread out in different parts of Orlando.

I know this thread has a couple of years, but as I´m new to the area it would be nice if you could tell me, if you knw, differences, pros and cons between Olympia High school and Freedom High?

Old 02-18-2017, 01:51 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuthieMoves View Post
I know this thread has a couple of years, but as I´m new to the area it would be nice if you could tell me, if you knw, differences, pros and cons between Olympia High school and Freedom High?
Olympia is highly regarded and in a much nicer part of Orlando
Olympia is more diverse, while Freedom is predominantly Hispanic
Olympia is better managed (of course this can be argued, but in my honest opinion)
Olympia has 10% less students receiving subsidized food

Overall Olympia is the clear winner

Old 02-19-2017, 03:11 PM

29 posts, read 36,832 times
Thank you! I was told that for next school year 2017-2018 a Windermere High School is going to be opened. What do you think about sending a teenager to a just opened school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando