Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 07:58 AM

12 posts, read 11,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
I was in Mt Dora this weekend. I don't remember the name of the little park by the water next to the lawn bowling club (Arcenal would know of course).

Anyway , there were 4 women at one if the picnic tables with laptops and tablets discussing what sounded like city business. One was white, one was Hispanic, one African American and the other looked to be Indian/Pakistani.
There was a young African American woman doing yoga.
An older African American couple were enjoying the view from a bench.

I had lunch upstairs from The Secret Garden. A Thai couple was there talking about their restaurant in town.
And yes there were a bunch of white folks like me , too.

It's a charming place and I don't see how you would have a problem there.

Yes, the massive takedown of trees in the surrounding area is really, really depressing.!
Hello ByeByeLW:
I appreciate the time that you took to share this lovely anecdote. I will be visiting Mt Dora and enjoying its natural splendor. Maybe even retire there one day, but it didn't make the cut for lack of great schools. I am researching to buy a home for my family and while MD is a paradise; there aren't many families with young children so it seems that they are not interested in investing in education as much as other places. Thank you for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I wouldn't allow one random incident that could quite frankly have happened anywhere influence your decision because no place is free of sociopaths like George Zimmerman, who by the way lives/lived in somewhat hoity-toity Lake Mary.
Wow. I didn't know GZ lived in Lake Mary, so he went to Sanford looking for trouble and got away with murder. That's not right. There is never justice for black males in this system. Anyway, I don't want to turn this post into a GZ/Trayvon Martin thread. I appreciate your comment in helping me maintain a positive outlook in finding a home in Central FL.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
I saw Clermont mentioned, but Groveland is only 6 miles away with considerably lower-priced homes, so you might think of that if considering Lake County. There are parts of Orlando and Kissimmee in your price range as well. St Cloud and BVL are other areas you might want to consider.
Hi Poodlestix! I love your user name.

I appreciate your input but I am looking for an all around package for my family and neither Groveland nor Kissemme have good public school education. The Livability in both these places for a family with young kids (8 year old and 3 month old) is not what I am looking for.

Thanks Again.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:32 AM

We (my family) have come to a decision and the members of this thread have been instrumental in helping us arrive at our conclusion. You gave us the crucial kind insight that data can never accomplish. It was your warm guidance that has helped us on this journey. By all means if there is any more info that you want to share, it is welcomed and appreciated.

Here are the cities/towns where we have narrowed down our home search to:
Sorry Osceola and Orange counties, while we will be visiting you often we just want to remain neighbors.

Lake and Seminole counties the competition is on! We will be searching in Seminole County Homes - Winter Springs, Oviedo, Longwood, Altamonte Springs, & Fern Park; Lake County Homes - Clermont & Minneola

Wish us luck! Sending out good vibes to everyone, all the best to you and your family. I will continue to check-in to read your wonderful responses.

Peace & Love

Old 09-13-2016, 08:48 AM

17,173 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIN1018 View Post
Wow. I didn't know GZ lived in Lake Mary, so he went to Sanford looking for trouble and got away with murder. That's not right. There is never justice for black males in this system. Anyway, I don't want to turn this post into a GZ/Trayvon Martin thread. I appreciate your comment in helping me maintain a positive outlook in finding a home in Central FL.
Well, Sanford and Lake Mary pretty much mesh into each other. My son, for example, plays soccer in Sanford, but I always thought that area to be Lake Mary, as it borders Heathrow and is walking distance away from Markham Woods Middle and Heathrow Elementary.
Likewise, on the other side of I-4, Country Club is Lake Mary but the 417/Lake Mary blvd intersection is considered Sanford. It really may as well be one town.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:52 AM

27,212 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIN1018 View Post
We (my family) have come to a decision and the members of this thread have been instrumental in helping us arrive at our conclusion. You gave us the crucial kind insight that data can never accomplish. It was your warm guidance that has helped us on this journey. By all means if there is any more info that you want to share, it is welcomed and appreciated.

Here are the cities/towns where we have narrowed down our home search to:
Sorry Osceola and Orange counties, while we will be visiting you often we just want to remain neighbors.

Lake and Seminole counties the competition is on! We will be searching in Seminole County Homes - Winter Springs, Oviedo, Longwood, Altamonte Springs, & Fern Park; Lake County Homes - Clermont & Minneola

Wish us luck! Sending out good vibes to everyone, all the best to you and your family. I will continue to check-in to read your wonderful responses.

Peace & Love
I would strongly consider much of Sanford over Winter Springs and Oviedo at your price point as you'll find a nicer home with equivalent schools. The same is largely the case with Casselberry over Fern Park in my opinion as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando