Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 09:39 AM

6 posts, read 15,079 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been considering a move to Florida for some time now, and are finally ready to do it. I know there is a lot of negativity about Florida, but honestly I think there is as much negativity about Connecticut. We both have college educations, and combined are bringing in under $75k/yr! With the outrageous cost of living in Connecticut, a young family just can't make it work. We're sick of the high taxes (over $5k/yr on a condo with NO land!), the terrible roads, the snow, the high cost of living....tired of it all! We are planning a trip in a month or two to come check out some towns and see what we think would be a good fit for us. We definitely don't want to live in Orlando...we want to live in a town outside of the city. Need at least a 3 br/2 bath, hoping to spend under $220k. We don't have kids yet but will be having kids in the near future, so good schools are a must. Any info appreciated!!!

~Renee~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 10:07 AM

12,626 posts, read 31,942,796 times
Lake Mary, Longwood, anything in Seminole County. I've lived here for 8 years after moving from PA. My kids go to school in Lake Mary and I'm pleased with it. I feel safe here and everything is conveniently located. We have all the big box stores, mall, movies, restaurants, YMCA, and other shopping within close proximaty. It all depends on where you are going to work also. I like to live close to work.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:09 AM

12 posts, read 46,387 times
Smile Conn/Florida

I have been in Central Florida (St. Cloud) since 1958. Taxes are not bad in Osceola County and there are alot of homes available on the market. Do you need to be near the Orlando International Airport? Good Luck

Last edited by Keeper; 02-23-2008 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: removed soliciting comment

Old 02-23-2008, 05:04 PM

53 posts, read 51,776 times
Default hey there

There are a number of great areas at the moment. I would have to alsl recommend Winter Garden. I have been working with 2 buyers in the area and i recently got one buyer into a townhome with 3 bed 2 and a half bath 1500sq ft for under $180,000 and there is one 3 bed 2 bath house on the market which my client has an offer in for $209,000.

There are some great deals to be had

Old 02-23-2008, 05:26 PM

53 posts, read 51,776 times
Default hi

are you looking at townhomes or single family homes?

Old 02-23-2008, 05:45 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,532,193 times
You might want to check out Brevard County. We are close to Orlando, beaches, Kennedy Space Center. Lots of resteraunts and shopping. Cities would include, Melbourne, Rockledge, Sattelte Beach, Cocoa, Viera. The newspaper here is Florida Today, you might get some info you are looking for.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:49 PM

64 posts, read 201,822 times
I teach for Seminole County Public Schools. Seminole County was named as an Academically High Performing School District by the state. Only 10 school districts earned that distinction in the state. In addition, Seminole County Public Schools have earned straight "A"s the past 4 years according to state statistics. You can visit Florida's Department of Education web site to get all sorts of statistics for any particular school. I find it a lot more useful than visiting great schools. Also, my wife substitute teaches in a lot of the schools around here. You are welcome to send us an e-mail with any questions you have regarding the schools. Keep in mind that Lake Mary finished #4 in Money Magazine's "Best Places to Live" & Winter Springs finished #31.

I hope this helps.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:49 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,136,567 times
Just wanted to say hello and good luck! I'm also in CT and very much ready for a move to FL.

Where are you in CT? I'm also tired of the high cost of living, weather, etc.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:22 AM

15 posts, read 59,222 times
With the housing market being what it is right now, try to find a stand alone house if you can. We live in a condo community and the associations down here are loony. In fact, we are fighting ours to get rid of the board for nepotism and ineptitude. Take advantage of the downward trend in houses or some of the foreclosures on the market (it's sad I know since losing a house is unfortunate - especially with the current crisis...) Fact is, you may find a foreclosure in a solid neighborhood. Those types of sales are trickier since banks tend to be stricter about who is buying the house. But you might find yourself in a great area, slightly more house than you might have been able to afford before all this mess began and hopefully in a fixed rate. But take some advice - avoid going condo if you can. And if you cannot, interview not only the housing association, the community property management company and talk to the residents (who will tell you the real deal by the way).

Old 02-27-2008, 05:44 AM

561 posts, read 1,917,308 times
I am the opposite of the 2 previous CT posters. I am from CT and am financially "stuck" here in FL. I would be happy to offer my home to either of you for what I paid. Just take over the mortgage payment. 4/2/2 new construction in '07, 2015sq- 190K.

Do a search on my previous posts to get more info on the town I live in Auburndale and if your interested DM me and I can give you more info and send pics if you like.

Aside from that you may be like I was and wanted those "greener pastures", maybe not though, but I am still in culture shock. When you go from a state like CT which has a very high quality of life (schools, healthcare, crime, etc...), to FL, BE PREPARED. Maybe you don't have any kids and that stuff doesn’t matter to you?? Anyway, the "best" school districts here in my opinion are maybe on par with an "average" school district in CT. You probably would be hard pressed to find an expensive private school around here that could perform at the level of a public school district in and around the areas of CT like Avon, Woodbridge, Cheshire, etc...

And I’m all for spending time with my kids at home going over school work and being involved. But there comes a point when it actually becomes more than supplementation.

I speak to family all the time in CT and we compare text books and what their kids are learning to friends of ours children that live down here, and in some cases it is a full year behind here in FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando