U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 09:55 AM

14 posts, read 69,604 times

Advertisements

Good to know that Narcossee road is not bad during rush hour. For what reasons do you like Oviedo better than St. Cloud? The potential job is just off 417 near Lake Hart. Isn't 417 a toll road? What parts of Orlando has the worst congestion? What highways and suburbs should I try to avoid if I'm looking for minimal traffic congestion. Any idea what the drive from Harmony would be like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 11:28 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,225,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJChrist7 View Post
Good to know that Narcossee road is not bad during rush hour. For what reasons do you like Oviedo better than St. Cloud? The potential job is just off 417 near Lake Hart. Isn't 417 a toll road? What parts of Orlando has the worst congestion? What highways and suburbs should I try to avoid if I'm looking for minimal traffic congestion. Any idea what the drive from Harmony would be like?

Well St cloud has crappy schools, the police are rude, it used to be a rural town now has encroching sprawl and the crime in the kissimme area is moving into the town. Yes 417 is a toll road but after driving around Orlando metro believe me you will pay the toll to have a less stressful commute.

The worst road by far is I-4 from kirkman to past altamonte springs. Other high traffic roads are 50, 441, 436, 408 and JYP. So avoid any burbs off these roads if you dont like traffic.

Pretty much anywhere around the central city and the attractions are really bad for traffic.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:16 AM

12 posts, read 41,880 times
Default Narcoosee Road

Narcoossee Road is a bit of a bear with traffic. Good news is that the County has just recently approved the construction to 4 lane Narcoosee road. Road is supposed to be completed by 2010.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:55 PM

14 posts, read 69,604 times
It isn't going to become a freeway by chance is it? Are they widening to 4 lanes all the way from 192 up to 417?

Old 03-05-2008, 08:12 PM

1 posts, read 5,616 times
First of all, be VERY careful asking important questions like this on any internet forum. Reason being, any ******* with a keyboard can jump on here that has never even heard of St.Cloud and basically just make up stories about bad crime, lousy schools, etc.

With that being said, I lived in St.Cloud for 6 years, and still own a home there. The schools are good, crime has been increasing over the years, but that is mostly due to population inscrease. The airport is about a half hour from St.Cloud. Hope that helps.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 5,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJChrist7 View Post
I took a look at a few houses in Lake Nona and they seem to be out of my price range. 300K would be about our max. So anybody out there want to defend St. Cloud as a good place to live?

Is anyone familiar with the area on Narcoossee Road between 441 & 417? Is that a good area to live? Would that be in the St. Cloud school district?

What about areas between Lake Nona and about Oviedo. Is there any new develoment going on out there? Are those nice areas to live or not so much. What is traffic like on 417?

Ok So I live in Saint Cloud, It is not that bad of a place to live. we had moved out and then moved back.. The crime rate has gone up some but still nothing as bad as Orlando.. My kids play outside and I dont worrrie as much as I did when I lived in Orlando.. There is lake Taho about 6 blocks from the house that is wonderful family and pet friendly.. The lake is one of the reason I love to live here. The Schools are great.. My kids go to Michigan ave elem. and it i has been an A+ school for 7 straight years. most of the homes are on large lots unless you look at new homes those have a zero lot line.. There are always good and bad about all areas. Saint cloud does have somewhat of a small charm to it, but at the same time has started to loose it.. It is growing out here and the small town charm is starting to fade.. I would say visit and spend a little more then a day or two here befor making a decision. rent a home first and see if this is a place for you.. then make your decision..

Old 03-28-2009, 02:06 AM

4 posts, read 13,377 times
I will defend St. Cloud. They are one of the few Osceola schools that have A rated elementary and middle schools. I just moved from a VERY safe neighborhood in Ohio to CFL last year. We are currently renting a home in Kissimmee and decided to buy in St. Cloud. I can not give you info about anything north of Winter Garden, but St. Cloud was the best buy for us because we also did not want a cookie cutter home or small lot. We also just found out we were pregnant with our first child so schools became an issue in the middle of our house hunt! I will also say that the demographics was an issue for us too because we do not speak Spanish and are a racially mixed couple. I guess I have been blessed a bit because I worked for a Real Estate firm in Hunters Creek for 8 months and got to know some inside info and while Lake Nona or Hunters Creek would have been my first choice, I found that St Cloud was in the top 5 and you get a better buy for the money. My advice is to visit again and take time to look. The turnpike will get you to the great shopping, airport and other places in no time. My husband works up by Florida Mall and his drive is less than 20 minutes. Best of luck to you and let me know if I can be of any assistance!

Old 03-28-2009, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 5,273 times
I've been lurking for a bit and decided to register to say something about St. Cloud. I used to live off of Narcoosee Rd. about 8 miles south of the 417 for around 2 years. The main reason I left was the commute, but I work closer to Disney. The neighborhoods are nice and I believe that the Narcoosee School was considered pretty good (anyone know?). This area is a bit detached from the city of St. Cloud however, which I hated going to. I would almost always venture out and go to other areas of town just to avoid it. I mean, there is a vacant building called a "meat-a-rama"- its basically stuck in some sad time warp in many parts. It's just not my thing.

It took me forever to get anywhere off of Narcoosee Road, and its a two lane road that at night is VERY dangerous with erratic drivers and animals walking around. If you like that area, I would go to Lake Nona area, which is closer to civilization and has things that are close for shopping and eating. There are a few developments in that area and its clean and its super close to both the 417 and 528. I would live there if Hunters Creek wasn't so close to where I am working.

Hope I helped!

Old 03-29-2009, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 5,247 times
I live in the town of Narcoossee. I work at Lake Hart. I love it here, very quiet, very safe. My commute is less than 15 minutes.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:20 AM

26 posts, read 63,882 times
LJ Christ, my wife and I are in MN (Cambridge) and are moving back to florida! She actually left this weekend, she is staying with her mom till she finds a job, and im staying here in MN because we need at least one source of income! shes looking in the orlando/tampa area. I agree, winters are brutal. But i will miss the diversity of Minneapolis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando