Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 02:29 PM

14 posts, read 77,242 times

Advertisements

Hi Everybody -

Wow - so many different views of living in Orlando, Saint Cloud, & central Florida out there! I was hoping to get some un-biased, honest, and sincere thoughts from people who live around the St. Cloud area.

My wife and I are in our late 20's and currently live in a suburb of the twin cities metro area here in cold and snowy Minnesota. We have a 2 month old baby, a golden retriever who we love, and I'm sure there will be more kids eventually. We are tired of the very cold and snowy winters up here and want to move to a warmer climate. I was born and raised in south Florida for 20 years and have been in MN now for almost 10. I miss the warm climate and we would like to be closer to my family.

I have a potential job opportunity with a company in southeast Orlando just a bit east from the airport. Here is what we are looking for and what I want your help in:
1. We are looking for safe, family (and pet) friendly neighborhoods.
2. We would like to be within about 30 minutes from SE Orlando.
3. Ideally we would like a lot size bigger than 1/4 acre postage stamp. Are there neighborhoods and/or developments in or around St. Cloud where you can get a 4 BR house with an acre or more of land for around 300K?
4. We spent a day in St. Cloud several months ago, and although that is not nearly enough time it was all we had, but we really liked the small town charm of St. Cloud. Does St. Cloud feel more like a suburb of Orlando or more like a rural town? Is it a family oriented town?
5. What can anyone tell me of all the new developments along Canoe Creek Road and Narcoossee Road?

Thank you in advance for those reading this post. We will be down in the area next month to do a little more scouting of the area. If anyone has some honest sugestions for good, friendly, & safe communities our family would very much appreciate your thoughts and ideas. Thanks!

Last edited by LJChrist7; 02-23-2008 at 03:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 02:36 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,811,532 times
St. Cloud is actually far from the area you are working. I would not recommend that area, it's honestly not very good as the schools are terrible and the crime rate would surprise you, although yes, it does have that village charm to it. It's best described as a semi-depressed to cookie cutter suburb of Orlando. I would look into the Oviedo area. That's a very family oriented area, with the best schools in the Orlando area and some of the safest neighborhoods. It would actually be a little less commuting than St. Cloud, and your price range should not be much of an issue, including the acre of land. Don't look into St. Cloud new developments if you don't like postage stamp lots.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:28 PM

53 posts, read 51,739 times
Default Hi there

You may want to take a look into the Lake Nona area. Unfortunaltly the previous poster is correct when he says about the land situation in subdivisions. You would need to look in an area outside of the typical subdivision. I would recommend Winte Garden Windermere but in all honesty is would be too far for you to commute. st Cloud does have some charm, but to be honest, on here all i have heard is bad things with the crime etc, although to be fair, you do hear some biased tales on here....lol

I would certainly take a look at Lake Nona area, and would recommend you contact a realtor and tell them exactly what you are looking for. for example we can search for all the properties in the SE Orlando area meeting your criteria including the size of lot you want and break down your search that way. It would certainly break down your search and make it easier for you.

Good luck

Old 02-23-2008, 08:31 PM

I took a look at a few houses in Lake Nona and they seem to be out of my price range. 300K would be about our max. So anybody out there want to defend St. Cloud as a good place to live?

Is anyone familiar with the area on Narcoossee Road between 441 & 417? Is that a good area to live? Would that be in the St. Cloud school district?

What about areas between Lake Nona and about Oviedo. Is there any new develoment going on out there? Are those nice areas to live or not so much. What is traffic like on 417?

Old 02-23-2008, 09:00 PM

Default hi there

wow, im surprised at that because im working with clients who are looking in that area and i have had no problems sourcing properties in Lake Nona for under $300,000. There are a couple of other communities on Narcosse rd including Eagle creek and a couple of New build subdivisions. I ran a property search just for curiosity sakes and in the area between 441 and 417 along Narcosse rd there are currently 59 properties listed for sale which sit on lots of 1/4 acre and larger which are also under $300,000

Obviously i dont know you and havent worked with you to know exactly what your looking for, but there are properties out there which meet the basic criteria which you laid out.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJChrist7 View Post
Is there any new develoment going on out there? Are those nice areas to live or not so much. What is traffic like on 417?
1. Not much anymore
2. Generally considered the best family area in the Orlando area, thus the recommendation.
3. Very light, once again thus the recommendation.

In addition, are you REALLY expecting to get a house in a development with an acre of land? I mean, I don't intend to be brash, but Florida in general is known for postage stamp developments. However, Oviedo has some regular "neighborhoods" in Old Oviedo (mostly not really that old) where you can find what you are looking for.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:24 PM

cflfan - Thanks for the tips. I was looking at some new homes and it makes sense that those would have higher prices. I will check existing homes in that area. Sounds like there are cheaper homes.

compelled to reply - What is the rush hour drive (& non rush hour drive) from Oviedo to the airport? As for getting an acre of land........that would be ideal but it's not practical in most new developments. We will take what we can find but if we were lucky enough to find some place with some land that would be pretty cool. But we are also willing to live in a new community with a smaller lot size if there are other advantages. So all in all it's just a matter of what we like once we see it.

Do either of you know what the commute is like on Narcoosse Road between the airport and St. Cloud?

Thanks for the knowledge!

Old 02-23-2008, 09:37 PM

Default hi

well it would depend where on Narcosse rd you would be, but assuming your fairly south around 441, i mapquested it and it says around 25 min to Orlando International Airport

Old 02-23-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJChrist7 View Post

compelled to reply - What is the rush hour drive (& non rush hour drive) from Oviedo to the airport? As for getting an acre of land........that would be ideal but it's not practical in most new developments. We will take what we can find but if we were lucky enough to find some place with some land that would be pretty cool. But we are also willing to live in a new community with a smaller lot size if there are other advantages. So all in all it's just a matter of what we like once we see it.

Do either of you know what the commute is like on Narcoosse Road between the airport and St. Cloud?

Thanks for the knowledge!
I have no clue about Narcoose Rd., but I can tell you that 417 to the airport is basically like driving on the open road even during rush hour.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:23 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,943,526 times
Narcossee road is good even during rush hr until you get to goldenrod road. St cloud is not really my cup of tea I would live in Oviedo before there but that would be a farther commute but the 417 is the most drivable road in the Orlando area by far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando