Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 02:41 PM

3 posts, read 5,673 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for private schools in the Orlando area for my kids -- elementary and middle, but thinking ahead to high school too.

Preferably north or west of the city, and I'd rather a non-religious school. I've found some Montessori elementary schools online that look good, but not sure where they transition to after 5th grade.

Windermere Prep is the only non-denominational K-12 school I've found, but reviews online make it sound like it's all about the $$ and less about a high-quality education. If there aren't many non-religious schools, are there any that are less religion-focused than others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 03:02 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,748,013 times
What about Park Maitland (K-8)? It's north of the city.

Orlando - Winter Park | Park Maitland School |

Old 10-18-2016, 03:08 PM

995 posts, read 1,695,029 times
My kids went to Park Maitland and transitioned to Lake Highland. Love them both. Park Maitland is secular and Lake Highland has very little religious content.

Old 10-18-2016, 04:20 PM

181 posts, read 138,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
My kids went to Park Maitland and transitioned to Lake Highland. Love them both. Park Maitland is secular and Lake Highland has very little religious content.
I knew several children that attended Lake Highland and they all loved it. They said that the Athletics were great as well as the theater/ arts program.

I used to teach extra curricular classes for kids to take after school. Sometimes there were kids that I didn't like but I had to pretend that I did. I never had to pretend to like a Lake Highland kid. I taught at least ten of them and they were all very nice, sweet, well mannered and intelligent children.

But I think that they had to wear uniforms.

Last edited by Alabamarose; 10-18-2016 at 05:35 PM..

Old 10-18-2016, 05:32 PM

17,158 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Have you considered Charter Schools? I'm looking into sending my kids to the ones provided by the Orlando Science Center.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
Thanks for the rec! I think Park Maitland is only K-6, which would mean my youngest would transition 2-3x, but for the right school it might be worth it. Was it a difficult transition to Lake Highland, or were most of the kids already familiar from Park Maitland?

Old 10-19-2016, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Have you considered Charter Schools? I'm looking into sending my kids to the ones provided by the Orlando Science Center.
Thanks, Arcenal -- I was looking into magnet schools for middle/high in Orange County, but didn't look at charters yet. I'll take a look at that one, thanks. Do you know anyone who has gone there? I'm not very familiar with charters (don't have them where we are) but from googling, it seems they're a mixed bag.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:51 AM

995 posts, read 1,695,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthemove2017 View Post
Thanks for the rec! I think Park Maitland is only K-6, which would mean my youngest would transition 2-3x, but for the right school it might be worth it. Was it a difficult transition to Lake Highland, or were most of the kids already familiar from Park Maitland?

Nearly all of the kids from Park Maitland transition to either Lake Highland or Trinity Prep, so the transition is pretty seamless with a large group moving together. My daughter kept many of her old friends and made many new friends. Park Maitland starts at K4 if that helps.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:12 AM

24,397 posts, read 26,946,756 times
I have a friend who went to Trinity Prep, he and his family are atheists and didn't feel any religious pressure or anything like that. He is now attending Emory University.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:14 AM

17,158 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthemove2017 View Post
Thanks, Arcenal -- I was looking into magnet schools for middle/high in Orange County, but didn't look at charters yet. I'll take a look at that one, thanks. Do you know anyone who has gone there? I'm not very familiar with charters (don't have them where we are) but from googling, it seems they're a mixed bag.
I have a friend whose kids have been attending a while. I've been curious enough about it to do my own research, and consider sending my kids there next year. You are correct that not all charter schools are the same. I've heard of some terrible ones, including some that seem to lure in pregnant teens and troubled youth. Not sure why some are great and some so bad. But here's the one I was referring to:

Home - Orlando Science Charter School
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando