U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2008, 09:47 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,271,778 times

Advertisements

Well...........I think I've just about had all the snow I can handle here in Maine Since records have been kept 104" was most we got in one season...we smashed that 2 storms ago. So my DW and I are back thinking about a big move South. I know "some of you" may be jelous of our slow pace of life, low crime rate, and affordable housing.....and myself having lived in other places do appreciate these things.....but I cannot take the winters here anymore. So we are looking at Orlando, Ocala, and now since my DW heard about the schools in Gainsville....Gainsville.

Orlando: Crime, Growth, Costs, and schools are our major concern.

Ocala We still look at orlando as our base of operation not because of jobs or anything but mainly because that is the area we are most familiar with. We thought maybe In Ocala things may be a little slower...we could get more bang for our buck. our concerns are jobs, schools, and culture.

Gainsville I know nothing of Gainsville.....other than their HS is rated tops. So that is a new place we will be researching.

can anyone tell me pro's cons about these choices. Where can I find the best housing deals ( I now its a buyers market) and can someone please enlighten me on the home Ins. costs. I've heard estimates of 2k to 10k for a standard 4br 2ba 2000+ sq ft home. That could be a deal breaker for us. we also want low proerty taxes......here in Maine all of our taxes are out of control and just looking at the city of Orlando their property taxes are high.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 10:11 AM

8 posts, read 21,435 times
orlando: yes, crime is a problem, but violent crime is mainly concentrated in certain areas. property crime is very common, so you have to make sure to lock up, close your curtains, etc. growth wise, orlando is starting to slow a bit. unfortunatley, the roads weren't ready for orlando's past growth, so traffic gets dense. home prices are dropping a bit, but its still pricey. 2,000 sq ft will start at 300,000 in a decent neighborhood, and quickly climb in good school zones. best schools are in the winter park, windermere, conway area.

i've only visited ocala and gainsville, and bother area's are very pretty (and fairly close to each other). the springs and forest are nice and there are a few museums.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:15 AM

307 posts, read 2,013,886 times
i relocated from Bangor (actully Hampden) in 1990! always nice to have another "maine-iac" here!

Old 03-01-2008, 05:47 PM

986 posts, read 3,306,639 times
Default Hi

Hi there, unfortunatley crime is everywhere but as was mentioned it is fairly well concentrated so by choosing the right area you cannot go wrong. I would be happy to recommend several areas if your interested. A colleague of mine actually lives in Ocala, and my wife and i love visiting him up there. Ocala is a very nice area and im sure if you were interested i could get some info for you for areas to consider up there.

I have no experience of Gainsville so i couldnt possible comment on that area, but im sure there are plenty of people who can offer you some advice on that area.

If you would like any info just give me a yell

Old 03-02-2008, 10:13 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,545,852 times
You might want to post in the Florida thread as those two towns are not really Orlando area.

I can tell you that Seminole county and winter park have lower crime and better schools then Orlando does if that helps.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:47 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,271,778 times
Yes......I will, thank you! the responses have been a little slow

Old 04-25-2008, 06:31 AM

7 posts, read 30,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfIfan View Post
Hi there, unfortunatley crime is everywhere but as was mentioned it is fairly well concentrated so by choosing the right area you cannot go wrong. I would be happy to recommend several areas if your interested. A colleague of mine actually lives in Ocala, and my wife and i love visiting him up there. Ocala is a very nice area and im sure if you were interested i could get some info for you for areas to consider up there.

I have no experience of Gainsville so i couldnt possible comment on that area, but im sure there are plenty of people who can offer you some advice on that area.

If you would like any info just give me a yell
Im yelling lol. I would love whatever info you have. My husband and I are interested in moving to Ocala/area. We are planning a "fact finding mission" in June or July. We are looking to rent as I don't want to purchase a house over a distance and want to make sure we are happy with the place before we get locked into a house. We have a 9 year old son so a good school would be ideal.

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando