U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 06:41 PM

155 posts, read 953,186 times

Advertisements

I used to remember WAter ?Mania when i was a kid, but it closed in kissimmee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 06:44 PM

1,377 posts, read 3,652,148 times
Blizzard Beach in Disney is probably the best I've been to. Also Wet N Wild on International drive is cool, a little bit less crowded and easier access IMO. Have fun!

Old 03-01-2008, 08:38 PM

10,716 posts, read 31,079,612 times
I have to be honest and say that I haven't been to Wet n Wild for more then 20 years.

But I have been to Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach alot. I like Typhoon Lagoon because it has a HUGE tide pool and it has a water roller coaster which is unique.

Blizzard Beach has a taller mountain in the center with higher rides coming down the mountain but the larger pool in the middle isn't a HUGE tide pool like the one at Typhoon Lagoon. I guess it just depends on the kind of rides you like.

Both are Disney parks. The food is very expensive and very samey. I tend to bring an ice chest with our own food and drinks. I like to get wrap sandwiches at Publix because they last pretty well. I always get there early, like before they open and stake out a good spot to find some lounges. The best spot depends on the age of your kids. If you have little ones then you would want to be near the childrens area.

Both parks also have showers and so forth so you can shower and change into clothes on the spot and go from there to where ever. We tend to do that and end up in Epcot or some other park.

The water is heated in these parks so even if its not so hot outside the water will be tolerable.

Both have the lazy river type rides which are nice and relaxing.

You should be able to check the Disney website to check on days they are open, sometimes over the winter they close down one or the other for refurbishment or to add another ride. They should also have the times they open and close.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:36 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,145,439 times
I would put Typhoon Lagoon at the #1 spot followed by Blizzard Beach and then Wet n Wild.However Just today Aquatica Sea World's new waterpark opened and I'm hearing it's a beautiful park with an aim at families like the Disney parks,they even have a slide that goes through a pool with commerson's dolphins.Here's a link to Aquatica!!

Aquatica

Old 03-02-2008, 08:38 AM

5,826 posts, read 8,470,842 times
When it comes to water fun, you are talking about Typhoon Lagoon. Hands down, it is Typhoon Lagoon. Never went to Blizzard Beach; no reason to since I knew about Typhoon Lagoon. Who cares about lounges when you are going to make like a fish the whole time you are there anyway?

It has been my experience that the later in the day that you go, the less crowded it is. Seems tourists always try to be the first ones there, spend the morning in the water, burn to a crisp and then call it a day shortly after lunch and depart. Get there late. You'll park closer to the ticket booths and have your choice of things to do with little or no waiting.

If you are going to spend a whole lot of time in the area, it will serve you well to get an annual pass rather than pay for individual days every day for a week or two. And when you are tired of swimming or soaking or floating or swooshing down flumes or riding the manmade waves in the wave pool, there is plenty to do and see - such as the shark tank where you can snorkel with sharks. If that's too risky for your taste, you can watch others doing it below the water level and dry.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:58 AM

10,716 posts, read 31,079,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
When it comes to water fun, you are talking about Typhoon Lagoon. Hands down, it is Typhoon Lagoon. Never went to Blizzard Beach; no reason to since I knew about Typhoon Lagoon. Who cares about lounges when you are going to make like a fish the whole time you are there anyway?

It has been my experience that the later in the day that you go, the less crowded it is. Seems tourists always try to be the first ones there, spend the morning in the water, burn to a crisp and then call it a day shortly after lunch and depart. Get there late. You'll park closer to the ticket booths and have your choice of things to do with little or no waiting.

If you are going to spend a whole lot of time in the area, it will serve you well to get an annual pass rather than pay for individual days every day for a week or two. And when you are tired of swimming or soaking or floating or swooshing down flumes or riding the manmade waves in the wave pool, there is plenty to do and see - such as the shark tank where you can snorkel with sharks. If that's too risky for your taste, you can watch others doing it below the water level and dry.
I get the lounges because I like to have a nap in the sun, my daughter plays and I nap part of the time. Then we eat lunch and I spend the afternoon playing with her on the rides.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:53 PM

155 posts, read 953,186 times
great great answers thanks to all

Old 03-02-2008, 03:24 PM

8,221 posts, read 10,964,955 times
Like the others I have to place my bet on Typhoon too. it has the salt water snorkle too where you can see the fish in a very large pool, similar to discovery cove.
I think Dsicovery cove is nice but unreasonably expensive. They have a ray pool and a massive salt water pool you can swim around in and see the variety of fish. There is a baracuda tank isolated from the pool where you can see some large ones. The "swim: with the dolphins is little mnore than being in the same water as they are. You get 20 minutes with 7 other people as the trainers get the dolphin up close and personal. That is probably the safest way to be that close to the mammals. It is cool but at a couple hundred it is out of many budgets. They also have a river as you swim through you enter 3 bird sanctuaries which is pretty cool too.

It will be cool to see Aquatica, from what I have seen it looks liek a good time, far better than wet and wild, which I would not recommend walking accross the street for.
Blizzard beach is a pretty park but in the high summer the sidewalks will make you walk quick if barefoot some are really hot. the stairs will rival any stair climber at the gym too. Be in shape, drink your fluids and have fun. Oh I hear the big slide at Blizzard is the second tallest in the country... not sure if that is still true. but it is tall and fast.

Disney use to offer a seasons pass for just the water parks which was a pretty good deal I think it is like $75 and that is for both parks. I agree the food leaves much to be desired and the tuna has provided food poisoning to one person I know. mayo and sun just don't mix. I like the cooler idea.

typhoon is the park that is rented for the night as a site for a circuit party in June which is an expensive but fun party. - BeachBall 12 I think it is, is the next one.

Oh and did we mention the beaches. many are free and some have minor conveniences like showers... Lori Wilson park in Cocoa as one. they also have life guards at certain times in the summer. The National Seashore in Titusville has an admission of like $5/ adult but it is very pretty and often few people. the last parking place is where the nude beach is so might want to avoid that if you have kids present. but otherwise a pretty park... remember there are alligators in the brush so when they say don't exit your car they mean it.

Lots of water events here for all budgets in and around Orlando.

Sanabel makes a good day trip too if you start early... it is the shelling capitol of the world. remember some shells are homes so they are better to look often than take especially from the water those are usually inhabited. from conchs to crabs. but what a cool place. kids will have a blast but teach them respect of the sea and wildlife.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:11 PM

39 posts, read 53,516 times
Universal Orlando is building a new water park on it's resort propery. It is expected to be open by 2011.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:05 PM

11,494 posts, read 25,764,919 times
Sea World just opened up a brand new waterpark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or