Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 11:32 AM

26,851 posts, read 43,334,989 times

Advertisements

I'm not saying to dismiss climate, just not make it the foundation or primary sole purpose unless one has little interest in other components of life many like to have around such as cultural amenities, a walk-friendly lifestyle, real farmers markets, a well-educated demographic, major league sports (sorry the Magic don't quite make it there) or close proximity to other big cities for quick getaways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 12:07 PM

24,325 posts, read 26,719,696 times
I think we are kind of beating a dead horse (i think that's the right expression lol), it comes down to preference and how you rank them in order.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I think we are kind of beating a dead horse (i think that's the right expression lol), it comes down to preference and how you rank them in order.
LOL, we are...though it is good/beneficial to show all sides here. It's also nice to have civil and well-thought out engagements versus others that sometimes intervene, thanks for that!

Old 02-19-2017, 01:41 PM

7,064 posts, read 16,643,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Climate and attractions are very important though and shouldn't be dismissed. One of the reasons why we moved here was because of the weather and we are honestly so much happier, I can't stress that enough how much of a difference the weather impacts our mood. Also, we have annual passes to pretty much every theme park and water park and love having them basically in our backyard even after living here over a year. We just renewed our Universal passes, plan to renew our Aquatica passes, Disney passes and depending on whether or not I can get 50% tickets to Busch Gardens from the Aquatica pass, might renew that pass as well. Volcano Bay is going to open not too long from now. Epcot has some fun festivals throughout the year. Universal has Mardi Gras where I got to see Ne-Yo basically for free and have a decent lineup still to come. Now a lot of people don't care about these things or don't prefer Florida weather, but if they do and especially if they enjoy both, you really can't do much better than here. In San Francisco, housing is crazy expensive, but I bought my place with cash during the housing crash. My monthly expenses were much lower than my big *** house in Orlando, so I could have easily continued living there for less than what I'm paying now, but climate and attractions are big things to a lot of people. I'd much rather live here than San Francisco, my GF is even more set in that view too.
I'm not knocking Orlando...I actually like it there and retain property there. I just cannot call anything there urban.

It also has tons of issues....WAY too many people move there without jobs, too many retirees, housing bubble, sprawl, traffic, poor transit, annoying lost tourists, crime, illegal immigration...all the problems of any major city but compared to other Midwest or Midsouth options its much worse in Orlando.

Also, I must admit I am biased....I hate to see great American cities like Detroit rot while Orlando grows more than its services can support...

I truly feel Louisville is a better option for the OP. To the OP, if you have not been in Louisville in more than 2 years, the transformation is ASTONISHING. So is the amount of construction. Or Nashville or New Orleans if they want even warmer and closer to beaches. Charleston too.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
LOL, we are...though it is good/beneficial to show all sides here. It's also nice to have civil and well-thought out engagements versus others that sometimes intervene, thanks for that!
I agree, it's always interesting having our civil back and forths haha.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:55 AM

16,826 posts, read 15,007,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I'm not knocking Orlando...I actually like it there and retain property there. I just cannot call anything there urban.

It also has tons of issues....WAY too many people move there without jobs, too many retirees, housing bubble, sprawl, traffic, poor transit, annoying lost tourists, crime, illegal immigration...all the problems of any major city but compared to other Midwest or Midsouth options its much worse in Orlando.

Also, I must admit I am biased....I hate to see great American cities like Detroit rot while Orlando grows more than its services can support...
I can agree with this...

Old 02-22-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post

I truly feel Louisville is a better option for the OP. To the OP, if you have not been in Louisville in more than 2 years, the transformation is ASTONISHING. So is the amount of construction. Or Nashville or New Orleans if they want even warmer and closer to beaches. Charleston too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I can agree with this...
As can I and the issues outlined continue at a much quicker pace than other cities. If the growth rate of the last 20 years keeps up, the result is going to be hellish without some drastic improvements in regional planning and infrastructure improvements.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:59 PM

789 posts, read 697,856 times
I'll offer another perspective as someone born and raised in the NYC boroughs who is now looking to relocate my family to either the suburbs of NYC or elsewhere. NYC public schools for the most part, suck. So most young families jettison to the burbs when its time. We all look for the same thing....good schools for our kids, safe communities, housing that will hold value over time, solid neighbors, good shopping, stuff to do, etc.

My work has taken me to the Orlando area every other week for over 2 years now. I always viewed Orlando as Disney surrounded by meh...not bad, not great, typical FL sprawl. Forgive me, that was my Northeast mentality. We tend to live in a bubble up here. Well after the past 2 years I must say I have a totally new perspective. Yes, Orlando has its share of negatives. I'm not aware of a mid/large city in the US that doesn't. But, Winter Park to me at least, is really quite a cool place. The architecture, the way it is laid out is nothing like typical Florida cookie cutter communities. It is a place I could see as a New Yorker with a young family, settling down. Now if I can figure out a way to lobby the wife....

Old 02-25-2017, 10:28 PM

I agree Winter Park is a special place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando