Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 07:11 PM

2 posts, read 2,243 times

Advertisements

We are two early twenty age couple moving from NY to Orlando, FL by spring 2018. What we're really looking for is a lively neighborhoods in terms of nightlife and various things/activities to do during the day where it doesn't feel repetitive quickly. We also prefer palm trees around us and a good distance (1hour drive) to the beach, any beaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 11:05 PM

24,397 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sincinem4 View Post
We are two early twenty age couple moving from NY to Orlando, FL by spring 2018. What we're really looking for is a lively neighborhoods in terms of nightlife and various things/activities to do during the day where it doesn't feel repetitive quickly. We also prefer palm trees around us and a good distance (1hour drive) to the beach, any beaches.
Lots of Palm Trees everywhere and pretty much anywhere in Orlando is an hour from a beach.

As far as lively areas to live for young people, I would definitely recommend Downtown Orlando, specifically around Lake Eola or Thornton Park. Enjoy!

Old 02-18-2017, 06:48 AM

27,200 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Lots of Palm Trees everywhere and pretty much anywhere in Orlando is an hour from a beach.

As far as lively areas to live for young people, I would definitely recommend Downtown Orlando, specifically around Lake Eola or Thornton Park. Enjoy!
Good suggestions and if you want a little separation but close proximity to downtown (10 minutes) check out neighborhoods like Colonialtown and Audubon Park which are to the north between US50/Colonial Drive and the edge of neighboring of Winter Park.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:51 AM

27,200 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
We also prefer palm trees around us and a good distance (1hour drive) to the beach, any beaches.
Also as an FYI, Palm Trees aren't native to Central Florida and have to be planted via landscaping so some areas will feature them, but you won't find them randomly growing throughout neighborhoods. Hardwood trees like Oaks are much more common and would say they account for 80% of the tree coverage here.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:36 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,907 times
Quote:
Pretty much the entire city is going to work for you.
Most of Orlando is very lively, Palms are easy to find, and the beach is a modest ride in either direction.

Check out the neighborhoods of Downtown, Dr. Phillips, Mills/50, Millenia and Florida Center (More-often-called-Conroy/Kirkman or Universal Area).

Old 02-18-2017, 12:58 PM

298 posts, read 579,648 times
We came from Chicago. I'd echo and also recommend:

Lake Ivanhoe District: lots of development in the works here, fun eateries, bars, yoga, etc.
College Park: Very walkable main street
Audubon Park: Hip vibe
Thornton Park/Lake Eola: Great walking around the lake, bars, restaurants, lots of condos, diverse, great farmers market
Winter Park (officially a suburb but not really): great "Park Avenue" dining and shopping
Mills 50
Colonial town.

Dr. Phillips is very nice but too removed from the rest for my taste. We avoid disney.

Old 02-18-2017, 02:00 PM

24,397 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adele115 View Post
We came from Chicago. I'd echo and also recommend:

Lake Ivanhoe District: lots of development in the works here, fun eateries, bars, yoga, etc.
College Park: Very walkable main street
Audubon Park: Hip vibe
Thornton Park/Lake Eola: Great walking around the lake, bars, restaurants, lots of condos, diverse, great farmers market
Winter Park (officially a suburb but not really): great "Park Avenue" dining and shopping
Mills 50
Colonial town.

Dr. Phillips is very nice but too removed from the rest for my taste. We avoid disney.
I agree with Adele's list. I'm in my late 20s and my GF is her in early 20s. We moved from San Francisco because we wanted a more laid back lifestyle, with that being said being close to good shopping malls & outlets, theme parks, water parks and restaurants were really important to us, which is why we chose Dr. Phillips over the neighborhoods around Winter Park and Downtown. Although, I'm sure we would have been very happy there too. It has a hipster vibe where as Dr. Phillips has a more affluent-family vibe. I'd also add Baldwin Park to the list, lots of young professionals live there and it's such a cute community.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:12 AM

17,160 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Also as an FYI, Palm Trees aren't native to Central Florida and have to be planted via landscaping so some areas will feature them, but you won't find them randomly growing throughout neighborhoods. Hardwood trees like Oaks are much more common and would say they account for 80% of the tree coverage here.
A variety of palmetto palms are actually native to Central FL. I highly doubt that the forests North of Lake Jesup (visible along the 417) feature trees planted via landscaping.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:21 PM

78 posts, read 164,518 times
Don't go to MetroWest. I saw it declining the 4 years I lived there. Sad. It's been 5 years since I moved away so I don't know if it got any better.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:22 PM

17,160 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC12 View Post
Don't go to MetroWest. I saw it declining the 4 years I lived there. Sad. It's been 5 years since I moved away so I don't know if it got any better.
Parts of it are VERY nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando