U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2017, 06:53 PM

3,447 posts, read 3,516,906 times

Advertisements

SunRail ticket revenue is less than ticketing expense - Orlando Sentinel

They should scrap this thing before 2021 and start focusing their efforts on money on a system that has some SLIGHT chance of succeeding.

Farebox recovery is one of the worst in the nation.
Ridership is WORSE than the minimal projections, and getting WORSE year after year.
Oh, and the trains at-grade crossings CAUSE more traffic than they alleviate.

It would be cheaper and more efficient to hire 1500 personal chauffeurs with limos for the people who ride this thing daily than to operate it as we are.

They are spending money hiring image consultants, when it was evident from the start that the route was NOT a good one.

Lately I imagine how exciting Orlando would be with an -actual- public transit network.
This schlock isn't working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 07:39 PM

16,566 posts, read 16,233,140 times
Investing in the bus system would have been better

Old 02-24-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Absolutely. The 8 Bus has more riders daily than SunRail- and those riders NEED better services.

Not that I don't appreciate the SunRail riders stories, but the majority of the areas it serves (residential and commercial) is much higher income than the Lynx riders who need to rely on the service.

Old 02-25-2017, 05:56 AM

20,208 posts, read 28,258,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I agree, BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) would have been a great alternative but apparently not glamorous enough for a city seemingly transfixed on trying to keep up with other cities. It was long argued that Orlando's lack of planned development and sprawl wasn't a match for a fixed rail system, so as result here we sit with a chorus of "I told you so".

Old 02-25-2017, 10:37 PM

4,809 posts, read 2,211,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
SunRail ticket revenue is less than ticketing expense - Orlando Sentinel

They should scrap this thing before 2021 and start focusing their efforts on money on a system that has some SLIGHT chance of succeeding.

Farebox recovery is one of the worst in the nation.
Ridership is WORSE than the minimal projections, and getting WORSE year after year.
Oh, and the trains at-grade crossings CAUSE more traffic than they alleviate.

It would be cheaper and more efficient to hire 1500 personal chauffeurs with limos for the people who ride this thing daily than to operate it as we are.

They are spending money hiring image consultants, when it was evident from the start that the route was NOT a good one.

Lately I imagine how exciting Orlando would be with an -actual- public transit network.
This schlock isn't working.
You sound like Reagan in the 1980's regarding rail transit to hire 1500 personal chauffeurs with limos instead.

Roads, highways and Airports are also subsidized by Federal monies also yet you don't seem to have a Issue with that at all.

Orlando's LYNX bus system is pathetic but you want BRT ?
Really ?

Old 02-26-2017, 07:06 AM

20,208 posts, read 28,258,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
You sound like Reagan in the 1980's regarding rail transit to hire 1500 personal chauffeurs with limos instead.

Roads, highways and Airports are also subsidized by Federal monies also yet you don't seem to have a Issue with that at all.

Really ?

Yeahhhh...if funded and planned properly BRT is the most cost-efficient and flexible form of public transportation for the type of development (unplanned and sprawling) Orlando/Central Florida is dealing with. As I have long maintained, the bus system here is an afterthought and no one cares about how the barely hanging on get to/from work and it's "pathetic" because those who oversee and fund basically don't care. It would get a heck of a lot better if buses were the only mode available and scheduling was crucial in terms of connecting to BRT routes. Attached is a link as to what Hartford CT has been able to achieve with their new BRT system. 7000 rides a day, more than twice what Sunrail is doing in an area 1/3 the population. Cleveland's Healthline BRT system which is 9 miles long shuttles 20,000 riders a day in a city slightly larger than Orlando-Orange County.

CTFastrak surpasses ridership expectations just 5 weeks in | FOX 61
https://nbrti.org/docs/ppt/Broward%2...esentation.pdf

Old 02-26-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post

Really ?

I've never said I wanted BRT. I would however advocate for it if the plan/model made sense.

Roads, Highways, and Airports are used. Our toll roads here actually bring in a surplus year to year.

SunRail is not being used. SunRail bleeds money.

It's not like I'm saying we should scrap a functioning system because it uses public money. My stance is we are spending millions upon millions on a system that isn't being utilized, and wasn't built well enough to be utilized.

Reagan and I use the same metaphor because it certain provides a visual to recognize how much money government is wasting and what bizarre alternatives would be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando