Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 06:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,078 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. Recently moved to the metrowest area. I know the crime in the area is higher than average but is it really just as bad as it was a few years ago? I have gone back and read some of the threads about metrowest but I'm looking for opinions of people who actually live here and not just from what you have heard. Every time I tell I coworker I live in metrowest they give me this horrible look, but I think that is just from the reputation this place has had over the years. Do I need to be concerned walking down the street? I used to live by UCF and the crime over there was pretty high at times too. I'm now living off Hiawaseee. I'm looking for answers of people living here or recently lived here. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 07:03 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
I'm not sure but I eat at iTar a lot and never see anything bad. My friend used to live on Metrowest Blvd kind of where Teak grill is and also never had problems.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:56 AM

617 posts, read 832,714 times
I've had some friends move out of that area within the past year because their houses were broken in to. Not just their houses, but the whole neighborhood was being targeted and hit. Your coworkers' reactions are correct, it has not gotten any better.

It's not a warzone by any means like Chicago southside, but I'd have my guard up a little being over there.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:05 AM

2 posts, read 2,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownKnight View Post
I've had some friends move out of that area within the past year because their houses were broken in to. Not just their houses, but the whole neighborhood was being targeted and hit. Your coworkers' reactions are correct, it has not gotten any better.

It's not a warzone by any means like Chicago southside, but I'd have my guard up a little being over there.
Their neighborhood was targeted?

Old 03-17-2017, 12:29 PM

680 posts, read 1,921,278 times
Quote:

Where exactly did your friends live in "Metrowest"? Where exactly did you have your guard up? You are just perpetuating the noise.

Most of the bad rap comes from areas that aren't actually part of Metrowest
Although I don't live there now, we had homes there for almost 25 years, and never experienced any issues.

I really can't fathom how folks in Dr. Phillips or Windermere, "the JEWELS of Orlando," can truly disassociate themselves from Metrowest and tout themselves as infinitely "better" locations to live in. They share many of the same schools and border each other. If you simply changed the homes in Metrowest to a zipcode of 32819 or 34786 you wouldn't even be able to tell the difference.

That being said, when most people talk about Metrowest they talk about Kirkman and Old Winter Garden Road (which aren't part of "true" Metrowest) along with the number of apartment complexes and the Walmart... and you can see why many have a poor opinion of the area.

Here are the "official" Metrowest communities.
Property Map

Old 03-17-2017, 01:02 PM

378 posts, read 487,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volk2k View Post
That being said, when most people talk about Metrowest they talk about Kirkman and Old Winter Garden Road (which aren't part of "true" Metrowest) along with the number of apartment complexes and the Walmart... and you can see why many have a poor opinion of the area.

Property Map
The map you linked to seems to contradict your statements?

Kirkman Road is the rightmost part of that map and Old Winter Garden Road is the topmost part of the map, so almost 1/4th of that intersection is "true" metro west (Maybe one block shy of OWG?)

The WalMart and nearby complexes (West of Kirkman) are also "true" Metro West based on the map

Just sayin...

Old 03-20-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Where exactly did your friends live in "Metrowest"? Where exactly did you have your guard up? You are just perpetuating the noise.

Most of the bad rap comes from areas that aren't actually part of Metrowest
Although I don't live there now, we had homes there for almost 25 years, and never experienced any issues.

I really can't fathom how folks in Dr. Phillips or Windermere, "the JEWELS of Orlando," can truly disassociate themselves from Metrowest and tout themselves as infinitely "better" locations to live in. They share many of the same schools and border each other. If you simply changed the homes in Metrowest to a zipcode of 32819 or 34786 you wouldn't even be able to tell the difference.

Property Map
I'm perpetuating the noise by giving a factual account about multiple break-ins and robberies that happened in the Metrowest area? Sure....

Old 03-20-2017, 10:02 AM

680 posts, read 1,921,278 times
Quote:
I'm perpetuating the noise by giving a factual account about multiple break-ins and robberies that happened in the Metrowest area? Sure....
And I'm asking in WHAT COMMUNITY did this so called "factual" account occur?

Also, and I apologize for not being more clear.... when I am talking about Metrowest, I'm speaking about the Single Family Home communities, not apartment complexes.

Part of the reason why fewer property crimes reported in the DP and Windermere areas is that there are very few RENTAL apartment/condo complexes.... Metrowest has a ton.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:

Also, and I apologize for not being more clear.... when I am talking about Metrowest, I'm speaking about the Single Family Home communities, not apartment complexes.

Part of the reason why fewer property crimes reported in the DP and Windermere areas is that there are very few RENTAL apartment/condo complexes.... Metrowest has a ton.
My friend's home was in a single family home community, although I do not know exactly which one. I didn't get his exact address when he was telling me about his home invasion situation. Was a little more concerned that he was safe and if they caught the criminals or not.

I do recall in the past he's mentioned his neighborhood being right off Hiawassee, but not sure exactly where.

I understand your defense of Metrowest as I know there are nice parts to it. However it's not some made up rumor that there has been an increase in crime there the past few years. Also, wanting to pinpoint the exact boundaries down to subdivisions is an overreach. When people talk about Lake Nona, they refer to the entire area, not just the few master planned neighborhoods by Tavistock on the west side of Narcoossee. Same thing with Metrowest, it's become an "area" at this point that everyone in Orlando is familiar with. Much like Waterford, Avalon Park, Thornton Park, etc.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:17 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:

I'm also curious to know where exactly is the crime in Metrowest besides some of the cheaper rental communities.

I live in Dr. Phillips and eat at itar Bistro and Teak Grill somewhat often. It always feels very safe to me. I've got many massages from a few spas in the area as well. It's very beautiful. I know Pine Hills is just further up Hiawassee and the area around Kirkman has some troubles within the apartment developments, but for the most part I've found Metrowest to be really nice, especially the single family home parts going towards Apopka Vineland direction. I've had friends who lived there who didn't have problems, but I have also known about Metrowest's negative reputation for quite a long time, but I just don't see it.

Does anyone have specific parts where it is high crime? Or is everyone like me, where it's all hearsay, but don't actually know any details about avoid areas North of XYZ or East of XYZ etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando