U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 10:27 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,672,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agmnim View Post
Thanks for the responses. I looked at some new developments in Clermont and really liked the area. The developer is unwilling to negotiate on the selling price but already agreed to throw in closing costs and appliance. Any suggestions for other amenities/concessions to bargain for? Also, what are your thoughts on Claremont? I liked the fact that many parts of it are still largely undeveloped and geography somewhat atypical for CFL.
My apologies for the delay, I don't get on the forums as much as I used to!

Staying within 30 minutes of downtown and under 250K are your biggest restricting factors in your search. Some additional area's (that may not be within 30 minutes of downtown) you could check out would be around Lake Nona and Moss Park area. If you like Clermont you should also check out some parts of Ocoee. One possibility for you I just thought of was Deltona, it's pretty far north, but you mentioned it would be a few years until you moved permanently here. By then the commuter rail system should be well under way or in place making the commute to downtown 10-15 minutes. Another plus is homes are much cheaper up there.

I personally really like Clermont for all the reasons you stated, the rolling hills are very unique in FL and it's generally all new with some open space and lower prices than other parts. What builder were you talking with about price? Did you have an agent with you? Agents with experience working with builders can definitely get you better deals than most can going in alone. If you aren't already working with someone, have you considered working with an agent at this point? The best time to bring one in (with a builder at least) is before any talk of purchase price and registering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 08:19 PM

4 posts, read 11,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregTraub View Post
My apologies for the delay, I don't get on the forums as much as I used to!

Staying within 30 minutes of downtown and under 250K are your biggest restricting factors in your search. Some additional area's (that may not be within 30 minutes of downtown) you could check out would be around Lake Nona and Moss Park area. If you like Clermont you should also check out some parts of Ocoee. One possibility for you I just thought of was Deltona, it's pretty far north, but you mentioned it would be a few years until you moved permanently here. By then the commuter rail system should be well under way or in place making the commute to downtown 10-15 minutes. Another plus is homes are much cheaper up there.

I personally really like Clermont for all the reasons you stated, the rolling hills are very unique in FL and it's generally all new with some open space and lower prices than other parts. What builder were you talking with about price? Did you have an agent with you? Agents with experience working with builders can definitely get you better deals than most can going in alone. If you aren't already working with someone, have you considered working with an agent at this point? The best time to bring one in (with a builder at least) is before any talk of purchase price and registering.

I'm working with Adams homes and haven't yet decided on whether to involve an agent. The only concessions I've been able to negotiate have been to include some applicances that otherwise we'rent part of the purchase price but I think there is still some more room to go. Adams doesn't add many custom options so the negotiating points are somewhat limited. I plan for now to insist some structural additions they would otherwise charge for such as:
a) pre-wiring for a pool
b) covered patio
c) jacuzzi instead of a tub
d) additional shower in bathroom

Any thoughts on these?

Old 03-13-2008, 09:45 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,672,952 times
Well, I like to keep at least a few of my negotiation strategies for just clients, so all I can say is keep trying. Everything you mentioned are actually pretty cheap to do aftermarket, and even cheaper for the builder, however some builders are often just not interested in doing custom work no matter how easy. The covered patio is some $ and extra permitting, the rest could probably handled pretty easily.

As far as involving an agent with adams homes, you may already be way past that point depending on how much you've been negotiating with their sales rep.

Good luck!

Old 03-25-2008, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,418 times
i am rom new york and i am thinking of moving in orlando can anyone tells me the safest and mixed area to move in i have a 2years old boy and a 7 years old daughter. i know poinciana but it is a little bit too far i need a palce where there is school hospital and nursing home around

Old 04-01-2008, 12:12 PM

53 posts, read 76,799 times
You might try around the Lake Underhill area. Heather Hills has some nice concrete block homes1500sqft plus 10 minutes to downtown orlando 25 to mco. Mature area nice friendly people.
Good luck

Old 04-01-2008, 04:56 PM

986 posts, read 3,139,749 times
Default hi there

Well i would recommend Winter Garden. In rush hour i would say within the 30 min to downtown, newer houses in your price range. Also, in all the places i have searched for homes, i have come acorss builders in this area who do offer green upgrades, but to be honest, for the big things which i suspect you are talking about, you would need to be spending over $400,000.

However, there are some nice green options included in some areas.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:34 PM

16 posts, read 37,695 times
If you are moving here, commute is important. Consider locations with easy access to 417, I-4, 528 and the turnpike. Clermont is nice but it is really out of the way if you spend any time in Orlando. I would stick to Heathrow, Lake Mary, Lake Nona area, Hunter's Creek, and Oviedo areas. All easy access to major roads.
Regards,
Christine

Old 04-04-2008, 07:51 PM

11,480 posts, read 25,708,361 times
agimnim:
Would you consider a resale that's 5 years old or newer? Do you want a HOA? What sq ft do you want? How much property? The only thing with a new home, everthing costs extra X4.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:02 PM

986 posts, read 3,139,749 times
Default hi there

You will find, certainly in the area i am in that some builders are actually lowering their prices and are pretty competetive. I have just seen a model which i am thinking of buying myself to build and found out that the builder had just lowered their price from $379,999 to $319,000 on a house that is over 3000 sq ft. In a good area like it is in, that is pretty good pricing. Even smaller homes in the mid 2000sqft range is in the mid $200s new, pretty much inline with well priced resale homes. Of course there are some homes in the same neighbourhoods which are over priced and are in the mid $400s. Its just a matter of doing your homework.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando