Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 08:08 AM

8,754 posts, read 5,042,001 times

Advertisements

Has anyone compared these two as far as cost of living and HOA cost. Any advice from those who have visited both would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 12:46 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
You get what you pay for. ...The Villages has massive amounts of entertainment, golf courses for every day of the week and so many activities. The question comes to living that far from the city or not.

Old 05-05-2017, 05:17 AM

50 posts, read 130,611 times
We visited both communities and we bought in Solivita.

First, let me say the Villages is impressive when you first visit. The town centers offer shopping and entertainment and eating. Something is always going on. They have several golf courses if golfing is your thing. There are also tennis courts, pickleball courts all over the place. The place is well maintained and attractive. Last cout I heard was that around 114,000 people live in the Villages making it the 14th largest city in Florida. Golf carts are the majot choice for transportation.

Solivita offers much the same only on a smaller scale. There is a village center built in the Mediteranean style with 2 restaurants and a bistro. There are two activity centers will pools, spas, classroom, tennis & pickleball courts. And there are two golf courses. There is a large ballroom for events and Thursday night movies. There are well over 200 clubs to join. Solivita has about 4,700 homes right now with another 800 to 1,000 to be built.

Both communities have HOA's and maintenance fees on a monthly basis. Many clubs you can join also have fees.

We found the Villages too big for our liking. For the buck, we found the amount of square footage small and the houses were built right on top of one another. I woud also suggest reading "Leisureville: Adventures in a World without Children" by Andrew Blachman. It gives some interesting insights into the Villages. Not all are flattering. We also have friends who moved from Connecticut, were we are from, to the Villages and love it.

As to why we purchased in Solivita. First, the floorplans offered in both new built and resales suited are needs and wants better than the Villages. The pricing was also better. You get more bang for your buck in Solivita. Second, Solivita is much closer to Disney and the other attractions around Orlando. With 3 grandchildren this was a priority. Third, houses were not right on top of another as in the Villages. We found Solivita to be a far better designed and layed out community than the Villages. I will also say we didn't think we would wind up in Solivita after our first round of visitations. But when we finally came down to buy, of the 5 communities we looked at seriously, Solivita was the one. For us, it was the right choice.

Now that we have been here for almost a year we have enjoyed much of what Solivita has to offer. Today will be Cinco demayo. The village is closed to all traffic and there will be one big street party! Last night was movie night as is almost all Thursday nights. Every 4th Monday is Curbside Cuisine with food trucks coming in. At there is a dj at everyone one. There are always events, small and large to partake in. And then there is Sunday Funday - a 4 hour pool party every Sunday with food and drinks and a dj or live music.

No community is perfect. They each have their flaws. You need to see and visit both communities. Most have some form of "Stay and Play" were you spend 3 days and two nights in the community. It will give you a sense of what its like. And remember they are there to sell you a new house!

Old 06-24-2017, 01:25 PM

9 posts, read 79,064 times
Solivita having some issues currently some residents are suing the Developer and the CDD rates are not exactly set. Be very sure you know your costs when moving there. Also, resales are selling for extremely depressed rates. If buying by new. Again be careful and know exactly what is going on with the CDD and HOA fees. Also, Solivita is very far from anything as people age not sure that's great. Current facilities can be used by homeowners in new development so facilities will be over used.

Old 06-24-2017, 02:57 PM

8,754 posts, read 5,042,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator832 View Post
Solivita having some issues currently some residents are suing the Developer and the CDD rates are not exactly set. Be very sure you know your costs when moving there. Also, resales are selling for extremely depressed rates. If buying by new. Again be careful and know exactly what is going on with the CDD and HOA fees. Also, Solivita is very far from anything as people age not sure that's great. Current facilities can be used by homeowners in new development so facilities will be over used.
Gator, What do you mean by current facilities can be used by new developments??? Is there a new hospital that has be built right outside of Solivita? Also shopping right outside of Solivita?

Old 06-25-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
A lot of generalization here. A lot of innuendo. Not a lot of complete facts.

As to the law suit - it was filed by 3 people. Not a significant number in a community of over 4,000 homes. Is there healthy discussions over the purchase of the amenities - yes. Current CDD rates are set. There are serious negotiations on going with AV Homes. No one, and I repeat no one knows how this will finally shake out. And another omission to your comments - the plans are ready for a third amenities center along with a couple of other new facilities. The area of the third center is being developed right now were the final new builds are going. This was in the overall plans for the community all along.

Let's define "extremely depressed rates." Generalization - you're painting with a very broad brush. What constitutes extremely depressed - 5%, 10%, 20% 24% or more? We sold a year ago in CT at 2/3 of what we bought for. I would consider that extremely depressed. We purchased in Solivita 11 months ago. We purchased a 2+ year old resale. The previous owner made a profit. Checking the listings shows the vast majority of homes are selling at a profit, not "extremely depressed rates." There are some homes built before the crash of 08 - 09 that are not listed at what they originlly sold for. That is not unique to Solivita. That is across the country.

I will agree that there is not a great amount of commerce outside the gates. But there is a lot within 30 minutes or so. People know this so you are spreading a red herring.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:23 PM

CDD information is public. Solivita Strong is just one of many websites discussing this topic. CDD rates are not set in stone yet because of the lawsuit. Like you said "No one, and I repeat no one knows how this will finally shake out". Also check out http://www.poincianacdd.org/ for actual CDD payments. Many communities have CDD's people should be well informed before buying.

You are correct the new units being built have always been part of the plan.

Disagree on vast majority of resales selling at a profit. Realtor.com does not in anyway agree with that.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:36 PM

Solivita residents sue developer AV Homes - Orlando Sentinel

Any questions pertaining to CDD can most likely be found here.

http://www.poincianawestcdd.org/wp-c...2015/10/QA.pdf

Old 06-28-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
CDD information is public. Solivita Strong is just one of many websites discussing this topic. CDD rates are not set in stone yet because of the lawsuit. Like you said "No one, and I repeat no one knows how this will finally shake out". Also check out http://www.poincianacdd.org/ for actual CDD payments. Many communities have CDD's people should be well informed before buying.

You are correct the new units being built have always been part of the plan.

Disagree on vast majority of resales selling at a profit. Realtor.com does not in anyway agree with that.
FYI - I am on one of the committees dealing with the HOA, CDD and sale. I am well aware of all the sides of the discussion.

Yes - people should know what htey are buying. The sales staff on new builds lay out the HOA/ CDD information. We went through the process. For those looking at resales, that information is listed in the MLS material. If buyers don't know, that is on them.

You're entitled to your opinion and I have mine. And I live here. Case closed.

As to the Villages - the HOA is a dummy organization. Everything in the Villages is controlled by the owner/ developer.

It may be the largets retirement community in the country but too many negatives for us.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:20 PM

Eric 51

You are correct we are both entitled to our opinions.

Mine is do not buy a resale in Solivita, unless one has done all their homework. Good for you that you are on one of the committees. Guess what all the information is public. Amazing how that works.

Glad you are well aware. Others thinking of buying should be as well. Not all realtors are telling people the whole story. While I agree people should do their homework, sometimes someone coming from far away might not get all the info, hence forums like this one. For some people this investment is their whole live savings.

As I said before many communities have CDD's. That's not the issue.

Solivita is very far from doctors, from a full hospital, and quite a few other things. As people age that is important. Just another thought when someone is thinking of buying there. Again you have your opinion and I have mine. CASE CLOSED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando