U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 12:31 PM

42 posts, read 22,989 times

Advertisements

I just listed my home for sale in Broward County in the west Ft Lauderdale area. I am seriously considering Kissimmee and would like to know thoughts on the prospective job market, and how anyone would compare it to South Florida?

I have my son 22 that will be finishing school up there as well as his girlfriend. I have myself that will be going to school for a career change into the medical field and my significant other that is a master boat mechanic. How are job prospects? Myself and my son's girlfriend can both bartend and have a lot of experience with that for extra money.

I will be able to purchase a home cash and my price range is anything under 480k for a 5 bedroom. I see several homes for sale that are gorgeous for the money compared to South Florida in the Broward and Miami-Dade area. I am considering this move because of the lower price of homes, the prospect for work (it's very competitive in South Florida (and one needs to speak Spanish in Miami-Dade), and also we have considered Kissimmee because we are figuring there is plenty to do as well in our free time.

Can I please have thoughts from people that live there? Do you like it, is there plenty of job prospects for our areas of work, (medical, bartending, boat mechanic, etc), and is it a better choice in your opinion than buying much smaller in the Miami-Dade or Broward area of South Florida?

I don't have long to choose a place to live and I haven't lived out of South Florida since I was in my early 20's, so I need some honest input.

Some areas we are considering are The Oaks, Emerald Island Resort, Reunion, and Bellavida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 12:54 PM

14,007 posts, read 13,399,773 times
Why Kissimmee and not a neighborhood around UCF?

Old 04-23-2017, 01:16 PM

Can You suggest an area or zip around UCF and why you would suggest that over Kissimmee? If it is solely for the school aspect of things, none of us will be in school longer than 2 years, so we are not even considering that into the equation. If, not can you please share with me why we may like an area over UCF over Kissimmee? Remmber, we are used to SOuth Florida, so we need to be close to life rather than feeling too country.

Old 04-23-2017, 02:05 PM

72 posts, read 103,372 times
Kissimmee isn't known as a particularly great or desirable part of Central Florida, so I think that bmw335xi was just wondering why you focused in on that area over the rest of Orlando, especially because you have higher budget for a home. It's also further out from the main core of Orlando, so if you want to be close the "life" as you put it, (and have access to the most job opportunities), I don't think that most here would recommend Kissimmee as the starting point.

Old 04-23-2017, 02:35 PM

18,256 posts, read 24,588,537 times
I would suggest the area north of Disney/Epcot west of I-4 around Apopka-Vineland Rd or Winter Garden-Vineland Rd. It's a beautiful area with a resort-like feel minutes to all the action around Disney, and a very safe area generally too. It's not close to UCF (about 30 minutes) but close to Valencia College which has varying degrees in nursing/allied health fields and for your husband plenty of work given the zillions of lakes and boat owners within a 30 mile radius.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...13_rect/13_zm/

Old 04-23-2017, 03:26 PM

491 posts, read 145,904 times
Emerald Island Resort, Reunion and Bellavida are resorts and I don't know if you'd want to live with a bunch of tourists that rent out a house. I don't even know if there are houses there to buy for sale.

That being said Kissimmee does have some nice neighborhoods and a few hospitals and facilities. Lake Nona is a new area and close to Kissimmee and is nice. There is a "medical city" they're build in Lake Nona and it's where UCF's medical school is. Also using the toll 417 you can get arouynd quickly. Hunters Creek is also a good area close to Kissimmee and Disney. The Windermere/Dr. Phillips area are probably the nicest in terms of having good schools and being close to Disney.These are all in south Orlando.

There are parts of Orlando like Winter Park, the UCF Area, Lake Mary that are all further up north.

Maybe check out all the places and see what you like: south Orlando is newer and is closer to the tourist-y area, but north Orlando is less tourist-y, older, and closer to downtown and UCF.

Just drive through all of these areas and see which one you like better. There are some exclusive areas you will be priced out of for a 5-bedroom home, however, at your price range you should be able to get to the good parts of Orlando in most areas.

Last edited by clearlevel; 04-23-2017 at 03:45 PM..

Old 04-23-2017, 09:34 PM

I really appreciate all this feedback, it's really helpful! I will check Kissimmee off my list then of a possibility. I will start looking in Apopka, Winter Garden, Dr. Phillips, and Windermere. I don't mind only being 30 min away from the University, that's not a problem at all. I can go a bit above 500k, but I'm trying to buy all cash to set all of us up to move forward in a new city.

There are homes for sale in Emerald Island Resort, Reunion, and Bellavida, but as you say I definitely don't want to be in a community that is tourists all the time that would be a major turn off after a short period of time! We all want to be near plenty of things to do, all the job opportunities I mentioned and night life and things to do so if the places some of you have mentioned fit that bill then that is where I will start the hunting. We need to narrow things down anyway since my home may sell in a month up to 120 days and that's not long to relocate!

Is there anywhere that is the best for a master boat mechanic? My significant other has been somewhat concerned with that aspect of things considering now he has more than unlimited work in Miami and lives close to the keys currently.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:13 PM

491 posts, read 145,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann474 View Post
I really appreciate all this feedback, it's really helpful! I will check Kissimmee off my list then of a possibility. I will start looking in Apopka, Winter Garden, Dr. Phillips, and Windermere. I don't mind only being 30 min away from the University, that's not a problem at all. I can go a bit above 500k, but I'm trying to buy all cash to set all of us up to move forward in a new city.

There are homes for sale in Emerald Island Resort, Reunion, and Bellavida, but as you say I definitely don't want to be in a community that is tourists all the time that would be a major turn off after a short period of time! We all want to be near plenty of things to do, all the job opportunities I mentioned and night life and things to do so if the places some of you have mentioned fit that bill then that is where I will start the hunting. We need to narrow things down anyway since my home may sell in a month up to 120 days and that's not long to relocate!

Is there anywhere that is the best for a master boat mechanic? My significant other has been somewhat concerned with that aspect of things considering now he has more than unlimited work in Miami and lives close to the keys currently.
The good thing about Orlando is that it's really not that far to get to Downtown and nightlife, especially using the toll roads.

The Windermere area has huge luxury areas and a large concentration of expensive homes, and the newer communities to the west of Windermere have good schools and there are plenty of lakes there, so lots of boat people. Mall at Millenia (the only upscale mall in Orlando) is close to Windermere/Dr. Phillips area, and there are lots of upscale restaurants in the Dr. Phillips area.

If you like a planned community, you might want to check out Celebration to see if you like the parks and the pools that they have there. It is a very big and unique upscaled neighborhood that Disney built at one time.

Winter Park is also another big neighborhood that has expensive houses and is upscaled and is closer to Downtown and closer to the universities. It's a little more traditional-looking and looks older with brick streets.

Lake Mary is further up north and has good schools, and is a bit further out, but if you want to be further out and still have the suburban lifestyle, it does have lots of good neighborhoods.

Almost every lake in Orlando has homes with boat docks in them, so I'm sure there's a sizable industry for boating in Orlando as well. There are lots of lakes in Orlando. That being said, I can't imagine it being as big as Miami or Tampa. Tampa is about an hour to an hour and a half away. Yes, there is a sizable amount of boating work, but no where near Miami area or Tampa's.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:41 PM

As I have begun to look, Winter Park is out of my price range, they are 600's and up, and Celebration is also out of my price range by alot! Dr. Phillips doesn't have much of anything available in my price range either.

Why are there so many homes for sale in Apopka if I may ask? It's very reasonable and there is a lot of stock of homes. Is there something wrong with this area compared to others?

Besides Apopka and Windermere, where is our other choices? We are not interested in being far away like some have described Lake Mary.

I am really putting all these suggestions to use this weekend on our trip up there!

Old 04-24-2017, 05:32 AM

18,256 posts, read 24,588,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann474 View Post
As I have begun to look, Winter Park is out of my price range, they are 600's and up, and Celebration is also out of my price range by alot! Dr. Phillips doesn't have much of anything available in my price range either.

Why are there so many homes for sale in Apopka if I may ask? It's very reasonable and there is a lot of stock of homes. Is there something wrong with this area compared to others?

Besides Apopka and Windermere, where is our other choices? We are not interested in being far away like some have described Lake Mary.

I am really putting all these suggestions to use this weekend on our trip up there!
Actually Winter Park and neighboring Maitland does have a few options and would urge you to consider it. While not the palace-like homes seen in some areas at that price bracket, they're older well-built block homes typically that have been completely gutted and modernized. They're what one would consider the Miami equivalent of Coral Gables (Winter Park) and Perrine (Maitland) in terms of desirability. The location is terrific with easy non-highway access into downtown Orlando and an easier commute to the east side and UCF. It's anywhere from a 20-30 minute commute to the tourist areas (WDW/Universal/Sea World).

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...23_rect/13_zm/

Apopka is well-priced due to it's location which isn't the most convenient in terms of access to jobs centers and for the fact much of the school district isn't top notch. Also the commute to UCF would be a nightmare I would imagine, easily an hour each way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando