Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2008, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 6,753 times

Advertisements

I am a student at UCF and live at a poorly run student housing complex (sad to say). They misrepresented themselves at the time of application. Their website still says they are a "gated community", but the gate hasn't worked since August. Crime is high. Management doesn't care. They have an iron clad lease that gives them the right, they claim to come into your apartment at "any time". Management came into our apartment and started snooping because I complained about how they charge fees. They come in, take pictures. They even send notices of "phoney late fees" as a scare tactic.
Do I have any options? Management only does this to people who challenge them. There are apartments where [people have weapons and they don't inspect them. What can I do about this? I feel like they are harassing the students that challenge their fees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 12:50 PM

15 posts, read 71,980 times
Honestly, you are probably screwed. My fiancee's apartment was robbed and all we wanted was for them to let her out of the lease (it only had a couple months to go). They refused and we basically had no legal recourse. We spoke with an attorney and he essentially told us there was nothing we could do. All that despite the fact that it was completely the complex's fault that the apartment got robbed. The thieves didn't break anything to get in, all they did was remove the sliding glass door from the outside, which I guess means at any time anyone can go into one of their apartments by doing that? Awesome. The management wouldn't even come look at the apartment.

Pretty much all you can do is move out when your lease is up.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:19 PM

37 posts, read 152,984 times
There isn't a great tenant law in Florida, sad to say. They have an extended time to get your deposit back, and if they want to play games they can file to get it elongated even more.

Did you read your lease really well?
Is there anything in there that you can get out of your contract and move to a different location?

You may want to research online by typing in "tenant laws in florida" and see what you come up with.
Sorry to say that's a really cruddy situation

If anything there is a ratings site where you can post experiences about apartments.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 4,449 times
Default upgrades yes or no

Is there anything in Florida law when a long time, good standing tenant. pays rent on time that they can request upgrades is this done on a case by case basis? Is it stated in any lease covering appliance upgrade, remodel, fresh paint etc....

Old 12-31-2010, 07:39 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreagan66 View Post
Is there anything in Florida law when a long time, good standing tenant. pays rent on time that they can request upgrades is this done on a case by case basis? Is it stated in any lease covering appliance upgrade, remodel, fresh paint etc....
The landlord isn't obligated to "upgrade" anything. If the lease says appliances are included, as long as they work the landlord has fulfilled it's obligation--even if they are 20 years old, scratched, advocado green, or otherwise not to your liking. And if the old one dies, the landlord is well iwthin their rights to replace it with an equally old but functional used one or scratch and dent model.

I know some landlords who are happy to pay for the paint every five years or so (nuetral color of course) as long as the tenant is willing to provide the labor. In Florida the landlord is under no obligation to repaint every x years, between tenants, or otherwise.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:54 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
When I had rental property I thought FL had some basic tenant rights. Look on the web, but you just can't go into a tenants property when you want too...I tried it...the renter was a real bumb....if it is really bad..just move....you might check with the city..sometimes they have some clown on the payroll that is suppose to help with these type of situations...what you don't want to do is get into a big battle with the owners...they might put something on your credit history etc...who knows.... I would think with all the places to rent in Orlando you could bail out and relocate....

Being a former landlord I have seen both sides...

Old 08-27-2011, 08:47 AM

1 posts, read 3,897 times
I have been out of my job since the 4 of August and I was not able to pay my rent cause I`m on workers compensation paid for this month...now the landlord wants me to vacate the apartment.What can I do to resolve this?

Old 08-27-2011, 08:51 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
To resolve...vacate by the end of the month. If you don't chances are you will be evicted and you don't want that on your record.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:33 PM

86 posts, read 423,249 times
I noticed one thing...Florida is so pro-landlord it isnt even funny. I fell behind on my rent, and they shoved a 3 day notice on my door after only 30 days. Paid it up, and fell 15 days behind, and whala...another 3 day notice.

I just finished putting my stuff in storage...This state sucks for a lot of reasons, and as much as I though it was a good move, it really hasn't been in any way.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:16 PM

680 posts, read 1,921,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svbusdriver View Post
I noticed one thing...Florida is so pro-landlord it isnt even funny. I fell behind on my rent, and they shoved a 3 day notice on my door after only 30 days. Paid it up, and fell 15 days behind, and whala...another 3 day notice.

I just finished putting my stuff in storage...This state sucks for a lot of reasons, and as much as I though it was a good move, it really hasn't been in any way.
They SHOULD have posted a 3-Day notice ONE day after you were late.... You were fortunate they gave you 30 days the first time.

I'm sure you're not a bad person... but you do realize that landlords have to pay their bills too, right? You being late may affect their cash flow as well. How are they supposed to know when or if you will ever pay them? "The check is in the mail" only goes so far.

You've already admitted that you have now been late two times.... and you say Florida is pro-landlord? With that kind of attitude I would be doing everything I could do to evict you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando