Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 10:06 AM

789 posts, read 697,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumby88 View Post
Do you feel the same way about restaurant servers? They too made the choice to work for a few dollars per hour plus tips.

BMW guy, I assure you, your friends have not factored in car depreciation when calculating their income. If they're full-time drivers the new tipping feature will be the only thing putting them over minimum wage.
Silly comparison to restaurant servers bc of the upfront understanding.

Uber started and plainly said to their customers and drivers that the price was all inclusive, no tipping. People who chose to drive did so on their own free will knowing this. Customers liked the simplicity of the one price. No one had a gun to the head of either the drivers or the customers who chose the service. Each party is free to not use the service or drive for the service. And STILL it exploded with demand from both sides of the equation. If they want to change that policy that is up to the company and how it feels it will impact its customers. Again, free will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 04:15 PM

24,327 posts, read 26,719,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
Silly comparison to restaurant servers bc of the upfront understanding.

Uber started and plainly said to their customers and drivers that the price was all inclusive, no tipping. People who chose to drive did so on their own free will knowing this. Customers liked the simplicity of the one price. No one had a gun to the head of either the drivers or the customers who chose the service. Each party is free to not use the service or drive for the service. And STILL it exploded with demand from both sides of the equation. If they want to change that policy that is up to the company and how it feels it will impact its customers. Again, free will.
Exactly and not to mention most countries dont tip taxis or servers. I think America has gone crazy with tipping and so many feel entitled to it, the idea of tips wasnt to act as income, it was to reward above and beyond service.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:47 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,226,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Exactly and not to mention most countries dont tip taxis or servers. I think America has gone crazy with tipping and so many feel entitled to it, the idea of tips wasnt to act as income, it was to reward above and beyond service.
Exactly. In fact, in some countries, it is considered an insult to tip

Old 07-13-2017, 01:27 AM

835 posts, read 521,322 times
Those countries pay very high hourly wages. High as in 4 times that of a US server.

Stiffing an Uber driver is exactly as rude as stiffing a server.

Tipping was never not allowed with Uber.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:30 AM

617 posts, read 824,939 times
Quote:
Those countries pay very high hourly wages. High as in 4 times that of a US server.

No it absolutely is not as rude as stiffing a server. The whole idea behind Uber was to charge one price and make it hassle-free without worrying about adding a tip and taking 20 minutes for the clueless taxi driver to figure out how his credit card machine works (seriously, every taxi ride I've ever taken ).

There is no expectation to tip with Uber. Sure it's gladly received by the driver, and I actually have tipped before during longer than normal Uber rides, but to say it's expected as much as tipping a server - no.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:28 AM

789 posts, read 697,856 times
Quote:

This is just troll level absurd and clearly comes from a lack of understanding of how Uber was originally set up.

Old 07-13-2017, 11:33 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,720,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
You sure it was Uber and not Lyft? I havent seen a tip option yet for Uber but Lyft has had it for awhile.

The built-in tipping option for Uber was when you used the Uber app to call traditional taxis which whom Uber had a partnership. I don't think that was an option in Orlando. It did not have built-in tipping for regular Uber drivers. That is now going to change.

As far as the "you don't have to and shouldn't tip Uber drivers" issue, I've heard that Uber drivers can rate customers, and one thing that you can get dinged for (albeit indirectly) is not tipping. I would say that it is better to tip for short trips inasmuch as it is not usually cost effective to accept those trips.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:53 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,226,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post

As far as the "you don't have to and shouldn't tip Uber drivers" issue, I've heard that Uber drivers can rate customers, and one thing that you can get dinged for (albeit indirectly) is not tipping.
Apparently yes, it can ding your rating fwiw, even if uber was originally set up to be tipping optional

https://www.google.com/amp/nypost.co...ect-a-tip/amp/

Old 07-13-2017, 11:53 PM

835 posts, read 521,322 times
Nobody would last a month as a driver if there was no tipping. Of course it's optional, just like at Denny's. That server knows that one of you might show up and leave no tip. Just enough people tip to make the job tolerable in limited time-frames. That time-frame has been short so far with Uber. Now, with easier cash-free tipping available, the company won't have such record breaking turnover. Handing a driver $2 was never that difficult, but it is impossible for those who prefer to pay evertlything by card.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:19 AM

24,327 posts, read 26,719,696 times
I dont carry cash, one of the reasons I use uber... if my rating starts getting dinged for not carrying cash i will start being more anal if I dont receive friendly customer service by leaving 1 star ratings... tipping is out of control in my opinion. Why should someone get a tip when the customer is charged $10 for a 10 minute ride, now if they are Charging $10 per hour then I can see it.

Last edited by bmw335xi; 07-14-2017 at 12:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando